Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wyndham's Stealth Devaluation of Airline Miles Conversion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wyndham's Stealth Devaluation of Airline Miles Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:23 am

So for airline miles which hotel card now?

We like to travel and stay in the small hotels in centro or B&Bs so hotel cards are not an issue. But now being in a 12-18 pause between a new AA or United card I was trying to compare hotel to airline transfer rates. Is there an updated list? From my limited research Starwoods looks the best but has a big spend. Marriott, the Holiday Inn card, and Wyndham seemed to be close 2nd but now Wyndham appears off the list. Suggestions?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...ategories.html

This post contains a list of hotels.
It may help u to burn the points. I have 400K points, it sure will help me to become one of the biggest losers!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:58 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
In response,

I have done a stealth reverse devaluation of my own, cancelled all of my Wyndham res except the freebie for doing their ridiculous timeshare deal. And, will have Barclay change my Wyndham card to a different reward program, probably USAir. Bye Bye.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Again I agree with Sarge. Time to look elsewhere. I will try to explore La Quinta somewhat and also try to use Choice a bit more, in lieu of using Wyndham.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
also try to use Choice a bit more, in lieu of using Wyndham.
Be aware that Choice was only 1.5 weeks better than Wyndham with its last devaluation of transfers in 2009L
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ued-again.html

I fully expect Choice to devalue the Southwest Rapid Rewards transfer option within a year, probably without notice. I don't trust them. Also, their Southwest option is out of line with the value of their other transfer options.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:48 am
Suspended

Thanks. But with Choice even though they devalued, at least I get some BRG's here and there.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Be aware that Choice was only 1.5 weeks better than Wyndham with its last devaluation of transfers in 2009L
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ued-again.html

I fully expect Choice to devalue the Southwest Rapid Rewards transfer option within a year, probably without notice. I don't trust them. Also, their Southwest option is out of line with the value of their other transfer options.
choice has a better rate when the points are used for hotels, the same cant be said on wyndham rewards.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...ategories.html

This post contains a list of hotels.
It may help u to burn the points. I have 400K points, it sure will help me to become one of the biggest losers!
the list says Guam is in category 3 but when i search on the site, it requires 140000 points, are they changing categories of hotels without announcing?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregillinois
We like to travel and stay in the small hotels in centro or B&Bs so hotel cards are not an issue. But now being in a 12-18 pause between a new AA or United card I was trying to compare hotel to airline transfer rates. Is there an updated list? From my limited research Starwoods looks the best but has a big spend. Marriott, the Holiday Inn card, and Wyndham seemed to be close 2nd but now Wyndham appears off the list. Suggestions?
Most hotel cards have signup bonuses that look good from a hotel points perspective but once you divide by the 1:5 (or even 1:6+) hotel:airline ratio they're not so good. And some, like the ones from Chase (Marriott, Holiday Inn) are not necessarily repeatable.

Meanwhile, Starwood is repeatable (12 months from closing of previous one), and Manufactured Spending can help with big spend requirements.

And there are airline cards (AS?) that are more repeatable. And remember that US will turn into AA in a while (and be usable on AA even sooner); have you already gotten that one at least once?

(However, this is not the thread, or even the forum, for comparing signup bonuses. Start at the Credit Cards forum for that, and ask at the Information Desk if you can't figure out the hotel:airline transfer ratios on your own.)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:19 am
dc3

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Despite my earlier complaints, I have to note that Wyndham is within right to do what it's been doing. Changes may be made at any time, yada, yada, yada.

Best practices, and used by most programs, has been to provide some warning. And even slovenly practice has been to notify members that "hey, we're changing the program" and then make an immediate change. Wyndham manages to go all the way and implements changes without notice or even any acknowledgement that a change has been made. Yeah, that probably meets their T&Cs so as not to open themselves to any liability, but for a program that's really bottom feeding, it gives members no real reason to be loyal.
==

It maybe legal but it sure ain;t ethical or moral. I have closed my account and canceled my Wyndham credit card. These are not people care to deal with.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I remember a few things from my Basic Business Law class in high-school & my one semester of law school:
1. Once entered into, a contract may be changed or cancelled only if both parties agree.
2. Doctrine of "Unconscionability:" A court may toss a contract that is overly one-sided.
3. Certain language found in "Adhesion" or 'take it or leave it' contracts is null & void if it violates (1) or (2) above &or is one-sided in favor of the company offering the contract.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I guess I lucked out. I had next to 0 WR points last summer when I bought some from Daily Getaways with the intention of using them for 2 nights @ 16--20K in high season for a room renting >$200 buxanite.
I didn't go to that hotel, so I transferred them in Dec. 2013 to UA to top off for an award & to AC to earn the bonus on transfers of hotel points. So now I laugh at WR with my goose-egg balance !
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Brendan
I remember a few things from my Basic Business Law class in high-school & my one semester of law school:
1. Once entered into, a contract may be changed or cancelled only if both parties agree.
2. Doctrine of "Unconscionability:" A court may toss a contract that is overly one-sided.
3. Certain language found in "Adhesion" or 'take it or leave it' contracts is null & void if it violates (1) or (2) above &or is one-sided in favor of the company offering the contract.
As far as I know (but it's been 30 years since I actually finished law school), no court has ever found the pretty standard language in paragraph two of Wyndham's T&Cs, which, of course, everyone agrees to when signing up for this program (and similar terms when signing up for other programs) to create an unconscionable contract provision:
2. Sponsor may modify, alter, delete or add new terms and conditions for its Program at any time without notice. For Wyndham Rewards, Inc. this includes modifying, altering, adding or deleting point values, redemption levels, conversion ratios, conditions for status, conditions for membership in the Gold Status program, Earning Participants or Rewards Participants (as defined below) to the Wyndham Rewards Program at any time without notice. In addition, Wyndham Rewards may convert the Wyndham Rewards Program and Members' points into different awards programs having different point values at any time without notice. This means, in the case of Wyndham Rewards, that the number of points needed to reach a reward level may be increased, the time for earning them reduced, or the rewards changed, so you may not be able to obtain, earn or claim certain rewards no matter how long you participate in Wyndham Rewards. To view or obtain the most up to date Terms and Conditions for the Programs visit wyndhamrewards.com or Wyndham Rewards Member Services at 1.866.996.7937 for residents of the United States and Canada, 00-800-367-8747 for residents of Mexico, 86-400-820-8831 for residents of Asia and 00-800-367-87477 for residents of Europe and the Middle East.
That's why I say that Wyndham is within their rights. Whether this is good business practice is another debate, but I take the side opposite Wyndham on that one.

Fortunately, no one has tried to invoke the provisions of paragraph three of Wyndham's T&Cs:
3. Sponsor may terminate a Program at any time upon six months' notice, without further obligation to the Member. Regardless of the amount of time you participate in the Program, your right to accumulate additional Wyndham Rewards points or other Program currency and claim rewards under the Program may be terminated and all accrued Wyndham Rewards points in your account cancelled six months after termination of the Program is announced.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
The text goes:
Beginning January 31, you can redeem your Rewards points for miles with as little as 6,000 points. Choose from our 20 airline partners including the newly added Alaska Airlines.
This text was sent out with the Newsletter on 27th of January, just 4 days before the end of the month and taking the changes into effect.

There is not mentioning of any devaluation whatsoever and the upcoming changes could not be found anywhere upfront.

It just sounded like an improvement.

What strikes me as rather odd is that Payback and Melia are not even airlines, so it should not have been affected by this anyway.
Is Melia a new conversion partner or already available and was also affected by this?

It would be very much appreciated to have at least a small amount of time as a courtesy to make use of the old conversion rates.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:41 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
AA is running a promo for 25% bonus on hotel transfer into AAdvantage. Wyndham is included. Might be useful for at least partly mitigating the devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.