Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Are Women Treated Differenty Inflight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

I was intrigued when I posted a thread recently regarding crew behavior and received several comments regarding ways in which women travelers are treated differently from men who may be seated right next to them. I knew it happened, but realized that I did not understand how frustrating it is to so many. Examples:

1. Flight attendant offers to hang male passenger's coat and does not bother to offer the same to female passenger.

2. Addresses male passenger by name but neglect to do so when speaking to a female passenger.

WHAT other examples do you have?

Thanks,
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Women Travelers Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Skipping over me COMPLETELY when sitting next to a male passenger and male passengers sitting behind me when the FA's are coming around asking about a drink after takeoff and the meal choice.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Moved to Women Travelers section>>>?

Is it just me (a Male Traveler) or does it seem strange to have this post moved to the Women Travelers forum? Is this yet another example of Women Travelers being treated differently? Just curious.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GOLD, PP
My experience with being treated differently isn't based on gender rather it's on appearance (attire).

When I'm traveling on holiday from a beach destination and my attire is very casual (ie, fitted t-shirt, cropped pants, sandals), the service I receive may differ slightly from the person in business attire. This isn't the norm, but it has happened on occasion.

I've never been skipped over during meal service nor had an FA not take my coat. Also, if FA is referring to passengers as Mr. ___, I've always been addressed as Ms. ___.

It's unfortunate that some of you have experienced gender biased treatment. This is completely unacceptable and I would promptly write a formal complaint should this ever happen.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:22 am

Yes, I am a man and I have noticed throughout my adult life that I am treated far more deferentially than the women around me, inflight and elsewhere. I once accompanied my fiance' to a store to return some merchandise and she was infuriated because the clerk kept addressing me when speaking, even though I had no part in the transaction at all. He continued, even after she pointedly told him to address her. Things like that seem to happen with regularity. I have some ideas on why this may occur, but that's way OT.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:53 am

Usually (especially by male FAs/oursers) I am treated better and asked ahead of my husband, so no complaints here.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: DL GM
I find that I usually get better service than my husband, even though I am generally more demanding. I think this may be because I ask very, very nicely.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
There are threads on this topic available if you want to rehash the topic ... once inflight, I don't have any particular complaints. The most noted difference is the when (or even if) I'm asked if I'd like my coat hung up. When I'm in the back of the cabin with the hangars behind my seat, I usually hang it myself - its quicker and easier. If that option isn't available, I find I can sit for awhile with the coat if I wait to be approached (and the men are almost always approached). So I offer it to the FA with the request to hang it up or when the person next to me is asked, they ask me as an after thought as they just then realize I might actually have something that needs to be hung up. No biggie because I usually keep the coat with me, and I enjoy watching (and sometimes timing) the interaction to see when they actually get around to asking.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I used to travel a lot with my boss, who was male. FAs would often assume we were a couple , and when handing out any customer service questionnaires, he was always given it to fill in (LH, I'm pointing at you in particular ).

OTOH, I did get my meal order taken first when travelling on a PNR with a BA gold person - he was not happy since I'm a Tesco blue, but obviously, ladies first
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta GM, SC, NFL Owner (GB Packers!)
I am always somewhat amused with DL FA's who ignore me in the FC cabin. *note/ not all!
My seatmate is 80% of the time a male, who usually takes great exception to their lack of respect when taking their coat, drink order, etc before me. We always have a chuckle when I am referred to as "their wife"!

They wish!!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Women (and minorities) are definitely treated differently. My wife and I were traveling in business class on a transatlantic. The FA addressed us as Dr. and Mrs. Babu. I snickered and told her that my wife is the Dr., not me. But throughout the flight, they all kept referring to me as Dr. Babu and her as Mrs. Babu. Whole crew was very sweet and attentive, FWIW...just couldn't get the titles right.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoingAway
There are threads on this topic available if you want to rehash the topic ... once inflight, I don't have any particular complaints. The most noted difference is the when (or even if) I'm asked if I'd like my coat hung up. When I'm in the back of the cabin with the hangars behind my seat, I usually hang it myself - its quicker and easier. If that option isn't available, I find I can sit for awhile with the coat if I wait to be approached (and the men are almost always approached). So I offer it to the FA with the request to hang it up or when the person next to me is asked, they ask me as an after thought as they just then realize I might actually have something that needs to be hung up. No biggie because I usually keep the coat with me, and I enjoy watching (and sometimes timing) the interaction to see when they actually get around to asking.
When you can make it into a time study rather than an irritation, it does make it easier But not right.

I was "told" yesterday on a flight when I hung my jacket in the closet behind first class. I wrote 'coach' on the tag, but when retrieving my jacket during deplaning, was informed that I had caused mass confusion in first class when they went to hang back coats. They said I should have told them I was putting it in there. I would have if there was anyone around during boarding!!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christine
Usually (especially by male FAs/oursers) I am treated better and asked ahead of my husband, so no complaints here.
Glad to hear that it is not everyone!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:59 am

I do get ignored a lot when I'm on an aircraft (skipped over for drinks, meal choices, etc), but I'd assumed that was because I'm very short and slim, and at a glance look very young, so maybe they either didn't see me, or thought I was a child.

Since others suffer from the same problem, perhaps it is a gender thing. I'm almost always surrounded by male colleagues, and they have no trouble getting attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.