Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do I put this delicately...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I put this delicately...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:07 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by alief
I don't care even IF the screeners care.
In fact, if screeners mentioned it or made a face or in any way tried to embarrass me, I would go into full Barstool Ninja mode.
That would really tick me off!

(I dont know what I'm getting feisty about...it's never happened to me. This is a theoretical response. )
I hate to even ask what you would use as numchucks.....
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by wharvey
I hate to even ask what you would use as numchucks.....
We Barstool Ninjas have many tools up our...sleeves.
oh, this is getting bad!
I think I have to stop now.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wasn't there a scene in Fight Club about this in the event that the suitcase starts buzzing?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 4:48 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phedre
Does anyone travel with *ahem* personal items on business trips? The kind that requires batteries. I'm considering it as I'm frequently gone for weeks at a time, but haven't done so thus far. Probably checked as opposed to carry on

If so, do you put it in checked baggage? Would random border searches give you cause for hesitation? Most of my travel is between the US and Canada.
I've had quite a few problems so depending on how much blush you care to wear...

1st leaving SFO - backpack with small personal item in side compartment. Extra Crabtree in Evelyn soap in my shoes next to outside compartment. Failed the screeing. Had to be swabbed for explosive items. Turns out Crabtree & Evelyn soap is very bad next to anything with a wire. Young screener could hardly maintain her composure so no more carryon for me.

2nd Exiting Germany where they screen the checked luggage at the same time you go through they asked as my second question "Did I have anything with batteries in my luggage?" I never thought checked luggage would get this question so I had to say "a toy" - he let me through.

3rd Picture checking in at a fancy hotel where they need to take your luggage because the bell hop needs to explain the room electronics. Imagine you are signing the registration when you noticed a pained look on the face of the person staying with you holding your bag refusing to let it be put on the cart with the rest of the bags. Then when the handle is put in your hand at first you are angry that this fancy hotel is on a subway line until you realize something you packed next to the handle. Then having a bag making noise you won't let anyone near and going to the executive floor, and having to go through the room explaination before you can get to that damn dial. So batteries now are left out.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by sucheng
I haven't actually tried traveling with this, but I have a 2-word suggestion: electric toothbrush.
My best friend was traveling to meet us in Munich with dear Auntie Mary, who is a bit hard of hearing. My friend was upgraded to a window seat and Auntie Mary on the aisle along with her. The plane hit a few bumps, after which my friend started hearing a low humming noise coming from above her head that just wouldn't quit. Dear old Auntie Mary was sound asleep next to her. The sound got to be noticeable to surrounding pax & a FA finally asked what was buzzing in her carry-on. With Auntie Mary still asleep and with great trepidation, my friend climbed over her and pulled down Auntie Mary's carry-on, the obvious source of the sound. Of course, no one knew it was Auntie Mary's & not hers's and she was scared & a bit nauseous over fear of what operating object she would find. With everyone looking on, she unzipped the bag and pulled out the source of the sound and the vibrations - an electric toothbrush that had somehow been jolted on.

Still a favorite story repeated at all family gatherings that involve large amounts of liquor and will be passed down from generation to generation...
Old Jul 4, 2008, 1:24 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I've carried on and checked without an issue.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
I had a screener pull a ...personal item out and ask what it was. I didn't skip a beat, said what it was, quite matter-of-factly, and she couldn't put it back any faster. It was funny.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
So you all are saying TSA screeners are such Neanderthals they've never seen or heard of these personal items or toys? And it's not covered in their training?

If this many FTers carry the devices, surely an equal number of regular folk do also. So I'm guessing 9 out of 10 bags contain these items, so why would the TSA have such a reaction? I carry a number of battery operated devices and have never been questioned about them. Like a mini-maglite ....
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sucheng
I haven't actually tried traveling with this, but I have a 2-word suggestion: electric toothbrush.
LOL, would never have thought of this, but a local journalist wrote this article recently with specific brand recommendations

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/..._web_0614.html
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Originally Posted by lili
So you all are saying TSA screeners are such Neanderthals they've never seen or heard of these personal items or toys? And it's not covered in their training?

If this many FTers carry the devices, surely an equal number of regular folk do also. So I'm guessing 9 out of 10 bags contain these items, so why would the TSA have such a reaction? I carry a number of battery operated devices and have never been questioned about them. Like a mini-maglite ....
I would imagine it's something they see all the time, so I have no idea why this one screener said something. Maybe they were new. But it was funny.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:02 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by lili

I think 9 out of 10 is a gross overestimate. Heck, 5 out of every 10 bags that go through are laptops

Of the thousands of times I've flown in my adult life, I can count on one hand the number of times I've carried a toy with me through security.

9 out of 10 women don't even own toys, much less travel with them. I read an article (granted it was more than 10 years ago) that said only 4% of women owned toys. Even if it were 20% of women today and they carried them on every trip, thats still less than 10% of total passengers, and 5 percent of the bags (if you consider that everyone carries 2 through security)

I'd guess closer to 1 in 500, honestly.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Of the thousands of times I've flown in my adult life, I can count on one hand the number of times I've carried a toy with me through security.
Must be because you were carrying your actual breathing boi toy....

I found the 9/10 figure interesting... but definitely not an expert....
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I've carried on and checked without an issue.
me too. there's actually a small one that lives in my purse, and i've forgotten it's there many times while flying...and not been reminded by tsa, either.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay
me too. there's actually a small one that lives in my purse, and i've forgotten it's there many times while flying...and not been reminded by tsa, either.
Was that what I was hearing on the flight with you from New Zealand to Sydney?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by wharvey
Was that what I was hearing on the flight with you from New Zealand to Sydney?
gotta do SOMETHING to pass the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.