Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Permanent Press clothing

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Permanent Press clothing

Hi, what do all of you do about buying wrinkle-resistant clothes? I'm trying to upgrade my work outfits to appear more professional and so far the first few suits I've bought get terribly wrinkled. After an hour or less of sitting at my desk, I look frumpy. When I complained about this to my husband he said he buys clothes that are permanent press. I don't remember seeing that on any clothing labels in a long time. Am I looking in the wrong place? Any tips?
Old May 7, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I can't speak specifically for women's clothes, but I have to imagine that "wrinkle-resistant" or "no-iron" clothes are available, just as they are for men. I buy dress shirts at Jos. A. Bank and Brooks Bros. with these labels and they are great. I know many manufacturers produce similar items today, so I would think they would also be available in women's wear.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:00 pm

What are your new suits made of? Are they lined?
Old May 8, 2008, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I'll need to check the labels, but the care instructions say dry-clean only and they are lined. I wonder if I should just choose synthetic materials over natural or something. I know that cotton and linen tend to wrinkle quickly. Could that be what I should look for?
Old May 10, 2008, 10:27 am

I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing a lined suit that would wrinkle. Are we talking about real business suits? Wool and wool blends should not wrinkle.
Old May 12, 2008, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Maybe wrinkle isn't the right word to use. They crease in the places where I bend. Like across the front hip area after I've been sitting for a bit. That's the worst area. Also some lighter creasing across the tummy of the shirts, again from when I sit (maybe that indicates that I hunch over my desk). The jackets don't have that problem, it's mainly just the pants/skirts and shirts.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I buy blouses by Foxcraft. They are REALLY wrinkle resistant. They also had slacks at one point and I did buy several pair, thank goodness because now I can't find them anymore. Talk about travel well clothing items!
Old May 12, 2008, 10:50 am

I second the Foxcroft blouses. I've had great luck with them. Nordstrom's used to carry them but now they have a different feel and are more expensive there. I've seen them at Von Maurs or through the catalog Appleseed's. I haven't had the creasing problem with those shirts that I do with others.
Old May 17, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Suits - when you are buying them, do the test where you grab a handful of the fabric, close your fist, and count off 10 seconds. When you release your hand, the better fabrics won't show a wrinkle.

Wool can be wonderful, and there are lighter weight wools even for summer. Sometimes blended with the polys.

Rather than a straight skirt, pleats that are sewn down but stop before the crease across when you sit can be good. The skirt just doesn't bend in that area, but rather pulls straight from the bottom of the sewn pleat.

A-line skirts work somewhat like the pleated skirt.

Wearing a slip under the suit skirt helps a little as the slip catches the first of the bend. Body warmth, a little perspiration all contrive to set that crease, and the slip blocks it a little.

I agree with the recommendation that the suits be lined. It helps.

A looser fit helps.

Hang them up as soon as you get home.

It seems to be a whole bunch of little things. The fabric is part of it, but cut and care and other things play a part.

Since I'm happily retired, I can't name brands any more but I'm sure somebody else here can help with that.

The good ones are expensive. Roughly what guys spend for good suits.

Romelle
Old May 20, 2008, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I checked my two new suits and found that one of them is 100% wool. It creases slightly when I sit, and the creases come out by themselves after it's been hung for a while, so that's not so bad. The other one that caught my attention for creasing really badly is part linen/part rayon. Ah, no wonder. Too bad because it's really cute.

I'll add the "scrunch test" to my list of things I look at when choosing clothes in the store. Thanks, great tip! I'll also try to find the fabric content (they sure like to hide it these days) and buy only wools if I can. The wool suit I have is fairly lightweight so if I can find more like it that will be great.

Hey, while I'm here.... has anybody had luck using Woolite at home to clean clothing marked "dry clean only"? Does that work, or is it a good way to ruin expensive clothes?
Old May 20, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I use regular detergent and cold water to wash all my dry clean only clothes, except those that are structured. I wash silk blouses, wool sweaters, silk pants (with an elastic waist). Nothing lined, nothing with any structure. I hang them to dry. Never put them in the dryer. Nothing with fancy detailing either.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:10 pm

I do about the same. I would never attempt to wash a lined suit at home, though. They get brushed well between wearings and dry cleaned a couple of times a year.
Old May 20, 2008, 4:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Make sure it FITS correctly. Too tight clothes show wrinkles the worst. If you don't like the size tag just tear it out and forget it but don't buy ill fitting clothes, you end up looking like a cheap stuffed sausage.
Old May 20, 2008, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Wool with a small percentage of lycra also behaves well, and there are some synthetics (also usually blended with a little lycra) that can behave well.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by jcwoman
Hi, what do all of you do about buying wrinkle-resistant clothes? I'm trying to upgrade my work outfits to appear more professional and so far the first few suits I've bought get terribly wrinkled. After an hour or less of sitting at my desk, I look frumpy. When I complained about this to my husband he said he buys clothes that are permanent press. I don't remember seeing that on any clothing labels in a long time. Am I looking in the wrong place? Any tips?
The tips about the correct fit are great. I transferred to Texas 4 years ago so I gave up wearing wool suits, they are just too hot for me in or out of the office. About 3 years ago I started transitioning my wardrobe over to Misook. The prices are crazy expensive but the lack of dry cleaning bills make up for it in the long run. Traveling with Misook is so easy, I never use the iron or go to the drycleaners anymore. I just unpack the stuff and the wrinkles fall out by the time I get back from dinner or working out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.