Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Packing perfume for carry-on---any tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing perfume for carry-on---any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:08 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Both philosophy and Victoria's Secret have smaller sized versions of their scents.

I have 0.5 oz. sizes of philosophy's Falling In Love and Pure Grace (0.5 oz. sizes are available only at Sephora) and smaller sizes of various Victoria's Secret Dream Angels collection. With the Victoria's Secret stuff, they're usually on the racks before you get to the registers and I found the 0.5 oz. sizes of philosophy near the cash register the Sephora at the JC Penney's in my local mall.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I guess I am just not that picky about perfume while traveling. I just stop by the perfume counters and get those itty bitty sample sizes for travel. One of my BFF's is a buyer for Neiman Marcus and every time she visits she brings me a small box of samples. They are all high end brands and I can usually find plenty that I would wear to work.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by prncess674
I guess I am just not that picky about perfume while traveling. I just stop by the perfume counters and get those itty bitty sample sizes for travel. One of my BFF's is a buyer for Neiman Marcus and every time she visits she brings me a small box of samples. They are all high end brands and I can usually find plenty that I would wear to work.
I am, admittedly, very picky about perfume, as well as about just about everything else in the way of toiletries. I get lots of perfume samples, but rarely end up liking them well enough to bother wearing after the first try. On the other hand, once I've found a perfume that I like I want to keep wearing it.

There's an element of body chemistry to the whole thing, I think---not just the way we perceive scent, but also the way in the which a scent changes once it's on your body. There are certain perfumes that smell nice on other, but don't seem to be as nice when I wear them.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have a muji atomiser that came with its own tiny funnel. I refill it often. I also am thinking that either the soap or lotion in the same scent. The lotion can be a pain, but the soap can be cut up for travel.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
I've thrown my hands up in disgust over this one.

I love to wear a soft fragrance, but have tried using refillable atomizers and they all leak! I haven't tried traveling with scented lotions but when I use them at home (which i enjoy), the fragrance doesn't last very long on me.

Do you know what I've started doing? I bought a scented deoderant by mistake recently (I didn't notice the "spring fresh" or whatever on the label) - so when I sweat at a meeting (which is common), I smell great

Might just be the answer!
Old May 1, 2008, 9:08 am

I'm not a huge perfume wearer, so take this for what it's worth, but I have bought several small tins of L'Occitane solid perfume for travel. They have a good range of fragrances and seem to be holding up well.
Old May 1, 2008, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I'll post back with my results with the Sephora atomizers---here's hoping they don't leak.
Old May 1, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
With today's high rates of asthma and environmental allergy, I can't be the only person who thinks it completely inappropriate to wear perfume in public. I guess you can carry it on if you must, but please tell me that you're not wearing it while flying.
Old May 1, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by peachfront
With today's high rates of asthma and environmental allergy, I can't be the only person who thinks it completely inappropriate to wear perfume in public. I guess you can carry it on if you must, but please tell me that you're not wearing it while flying.
Oh I never wear perfume on a plane. Just for the allergy reasons of other people alone, and I am completely frustrated with women who feel they have to marinate in their horrible scent before getting on a plane.
Don't you realize, if YOU can smell your own perfume, you have on too much?
(I mean you in the general sense, not you personally....... )
Old May 2, 2008, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Well, as somebody who actually has allergy-triggered asthma, I can most definitely say that I am aware of the issue, and certainly don't wear a lot and don't apply it around others.

I'm reminded of an event some years ago when I was flying TATL (in coach, of course). I was on the aisle of a 5 seat center section, and the man seated next to me was a bit of a pain throughout the flight: up and down to get things out of the overhead, smelly (and not a perfumed way), intrusive. Meal service had finished and the cabin lights had been dimmed, and then suddenly it was time for duty free sales. Imagine my irritation when he decided that he needed to buy something, particularly as it took him a while to figure out just exactly what he wanted (I had my eye shades on and had actually managed to drift off). And imagine my horror when I realized that he was actually opening the package (all those crinkly crunchy plastic noises) and then finally when he spritzed himself with the cologne.

The worst part of it was that the cologne did little to mask his body odor, and nothing at all to mitigate his general unpleasantness.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I love perfume and always wear it and always fit it into my quart ziploc. I wear Allure and have a 1.7 ounce and it fits...are you putting things in your quart bag that you don't need to like deodorant..perfume is a staple for me so it is the first thing in the bag. I don't wear too much so hopefully do not offend anyone.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IrieDame
I love perfume and always wear it and always fit it into my quart ziploc. I wear Allure and have a 1.7 ounce and it fits...are you putting things in your quart bag that you don't need to like deodorant..perfume is a staple for me so it is the first thing in the bag. I don't wear too much so hopefully do not offend anyone.
No, I'm not putting non-liquids like solid deodorant in my ziploc. Chance is another perfume that's got a relatively non-bulky bottle (also the 1.7 oz size, I believe), and that's what I've taken on my last couple of trips. But I like other perfumes as well, and don't like to wear the same one every day, so that's where it becomes an issue.

I did look into the solid perfume options, and didn't like the ones available at Sephora here in Atlanta (Marc Jacobs Daisy and another one that smells like baby powder). L'Occitane only had rose and green tea, also not ideal. One of my favorites, Jean Patou's Sublime, comes in a solid but I'll have to order it online.

I'm going to Budapest next week, and will see how my little mini atomizers from Sephora work out.
Old May 3, 2009, 2:38 pm

I was able to obtain sufficient samples of stuff I like to take those with me instead of the full bottle. Men's cologne bottles being often even bulkier. Besides that, I find it stupid if I have to lug around something weighing 100g of which I maybe use 5g.

So maybe you can take the full bottle of your fave scent and then just try out some samplers. There is so much interesting stuff out there, that it should be fun to try out some new things, especially if you don't want to wear the same fragrance every day. It is also a good occasion to go shopping at the destination. When I go to Europe they always have perfumes there that are either not yet available, won't be available or are much more expensive in the US.

Obviously, packing two or more full-size bottles is the root of the problem here and that can be best circumvented by going for the sample size alternatives.

Till
Old May 3, 2009, 4:38 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
When I fly, I usually wear philosophy's Pure Grace, which smells a lot like Ivory Soap...but I always apply it well before I get to the airport.

And I don't bathe myself in it. I think that it's completely appropriate to wear perfume in public if you haven't marinated yourself in it.

I agree with the person who said if you can smell it on yourself, you're wearing too much.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN
neimanmarcus.com has a large selection of travel size fragrances/cosmetics.
The actual store, not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.