Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Have you ever worried about losing your hair?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever worried about losing your hair?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I've had some success with minoxidil (the generic--and much cheaper version of--Rogaine), which I used to buy from Duane Reade until they discontinued the women's dosage, and now get from CVS. I also get treatments at Philip Kingsley here in NYC, and use several of his products.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
Originally Posted by LLM

I have a home BP monitor and all's well. I use the men's stuff from Costco on wet hair once a day at most - dirt cheap and use the spray top from another brand. Forget the dropper.
What is a BP monitor?

Men's stuff from Costco? Are you a woman using a man's strength monoxidil? Your sentence isn't clear to me.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by MollyNYC
What is a BP monitor?
Blood pressure monitor
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:36 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is a BP monitor?
See above.
Men's stuff from Costco? Are you a woman using a man's strength monoxidil? Your sentence isn't clear to me.
Yes. Costco sells the men's extra strength 5% Kirkland version for IIRC $19.99 for four bottles. This would last at least four months if you used it intensively. Or you could water it down if you didn't want it that strong or just use it occasionally as I do.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I have fine hair by heredity and I hate it. It gets so frizzy in any humidity even though I straighten it with my blow dryer.

If you feel like your hair is thin I swear by Jason thin to thick shampoo. My hair feels MUCH thicker and the Jason products aren't expensive either. When my husband first tld me about it I didn't believe him, but after a few uses my hair does feel thicker. It doesn't have any preservatives like laurel sulfates either. It will lather, but not like regular shampoo. You will love how thick your hair feels.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:32 am

Programs: nada these days
Update from me: I was worried that my latest medication might be causing me to lose my hair again, so I brought it up in my most recent appointment with my doctor. She recommended that I take 200mcg of selenium daily to address the problem. I have no idea whether it will work -- too soon to tell -- but hey, she's an M.D., so worth a shot, right?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by erdehoff
Update from me: I was worried that my latest medication might be causing me to lose my hair again, so I brought it up in my most recent appointment with my doctor. She recommended that I take 200mcg of selenium daily to address the problem. I have no idea whether it will work -- too soon to tell -- but hey, she's an M.D., so worth a shot, right?
It certainly can't hurt. A lot of us don't get all the vitamins, antioxidents and minerals we need and we don't even know it. I hope your hair thickens like cray for you soon.
Old May 7, 2007, 2:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
I've been noticing more hair in the drain too - though thankfully, I can't yet see a problem on my head (e.g. no thinning spots),. Nonetheless, I had my stylist cut me a bit shorter and add layers to keep things looking full.

I'm also reducing washing to 3-4X/week (though I still do pony tails on the off days, because my hair gets flat). I hope the pony tails don't make it worse.

I'm right at that age where perimenopause is starting (OMG, can we say mood swings?) - and I"m wondering if this isn't yet another side effect of hormone changes
Old May 16, 2007, 1:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I am currently trying a product that I bought at Nordstrom. It is called FNS (follicle nujtrient serum). The girls at Nordstrom say that their customers swear by it, so I will give it a shot. It is easy to use and doesn't make a mess of my hair.

I will keep you posted.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Reviving a year+ old thread...

What's the latest and greatest product/supplement-wise?

I was recently out of town, desperate for a quick trim and went to a Supercuts. There's nothing like a candid Asian* woman to tell me I should try nioxin products.

Would love to, but don't want anything too yucky-chemical-filled.

*For the record, I'm a minority as well.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:47 am

Switch your hair dye, don't use men's rogaine.

Hi,

Do NOT use men's rogaine like products without speaking to your doctor - it can be bad for you (not everybody, but be forewarned)

Have you noticed some ladies that die their hair in the reddish hues have thinner hair? I have a friend who complained that she was losing her hair and had recently become redhead! Some hair dyes can make your hair fall out - especially in the red pigments.

Try switching to hennas or don't do an all over the head/hair process - just start highlighting instead.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think it's normal to lose a bit of hair on a regular basis. I notice it in the shower or on the comb, but still have lots left. Having said that, if you're losing abnormal (lots & lots) amounts, then I'd be more concerned & check into docs, treatments, etc. I've also noticed that in times of severe stress I lose a tad more than normal, but it goes back to normal pretty quickly. OVMV.

Cheers.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:45 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the record, I can't remember the last time I used my men's Rogaine (just plain forgot until I saw this thread) and no hair loss.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat
What is a BP monitor?

Women's Rogaine is the same strength as Men's (Regular Strength) Rogaine-- 2% minoxidil. Men's Extra Strength is 5% minoxidil. So if you can find the Men's Regular Strength cheaper than the Women's Rogaine, go for it. The only difference is the fragrance and the color of the box.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
This thread made me laugh (including my initial response). I've spent the last three months as a bald woman. Not realy that bad. My hair started coming back in a few days ago. I can't wait to see what it's like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.