Search

Help for lip lines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Help for lip lines

Not the outline of my lips, but the lines on my lips. They're horrible! Unsightly!! What to do? I'm seriously considering injections of some kind to fill in the lines, not for overall lip augmentation. That said, Restylene is out of my budget.

If there's some kind of topical treatment that maybe I can only get from a dermatologist then I'd love to know about it. I've tried a few products available in stores but nothing really helps.

I'd appreciate any input.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:36 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by essxjay
That said, Restylene is out of my budget.
I'm probably not much help, but just in case you're planning a vacation ... a friend of mine who went to Bali with us this year had Restylane injections done there. She was happy with the result and thought it was about half price of what it is in the US.

For creams, I use Kinerase around my eye area. It contains furfuryladenine, which is supposed to reduce fine lines. Kinerase makes a lip cream too, but I've never used it.

Despite the I use Kinerase, I really don't know if any of them actually work. You can read Paula Begoun and it sounds as though there's little if any science behind most of the products, even though some are touted by dermatologists (I first got Kinerase from my dermatologist).

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 16, 2005 at 9:14 am
Old Oct 16, 2005, 1:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

*Great* link, girlfriend! Mucho thanks!

And thanks for the special tortune of reminding me once again that I'm a poor student! And one with wrinkled lips to boot!! Trip to Bali, indeed.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 16, 2005 at 10:05 pm
Old Oct 16, 2005, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
And thanks for the special tortune of reminding me opnce again that I'm a poor student! And one with wrinkled lips to boot!! Trip to Bali, indeed.

Perhaps you could sweet talk someone you use those lips on into taking you on a nice, relaxing vacation ...

And what about the proceeds from selling your mind on eBay? Sharp as it is, you had to get enough for a great vacation out of that.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 16, 2005 at 6:02 pm
Old Oct 16, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, Jetblue (love it for the transcons), Northwest, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Avis PS, UCLA fan!
My mom works in the medi-spa industry and you can get Restylane injections here in the US. In fact, I bought my mom a book on Restylane that I found at Borders one day and supposedly Restylane is the current buzz in the medi-spa world.

The medi-spa industry is growing and I am sure you can find one near you or you can order some books to read about your different options and know what you are getting yourself into.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My understanding is that Restylane is coming out with a new product called "fine lines" which is specifically targeted for the lip area. Don't know if it is available yet, but you might check with your dermatologist.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bruingirl
My mom works in the medi-spa industry and you can get Restylane injections here in the US.
Understood. But $325 per injection is just a tad out of reach.
Originally Posted by letiole
Perhaps you could sweet talk someone you use those lips on into taking you on a nice, relaxing vacation ...
Good thinking. I'll work on it. Er, him ... I mean *that*.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 16, 2005 at 9:58 pm
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Have you tried those 'PlumpLips' lip glosses? I got a nice selection of colors & a clear for $60.00. Sephora & Bliss also have more lip plumping products - hopefully some can chime in on what has worked for them.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Estee Lauder makes a product whose name escapes me - but it comes in a little purple tube - works magic according to "he who should know "
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
I love the Sephora Lip Fusion stuff. It doesn't work for me as well as it does in the ads, but I do think it does work somewhat (and it's nice gloss).
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:32 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Originally Posted by brendamc
Have you tried those 'PlumpLips' lip glosses? I got a nice selection of colors & a clear for $60.00. Sephora & Bliss also have more lip plumping products - hopefully some can chime in on what has worked for them.
Hi folks! Believe it or not, CVS has partnered with a Dermatologist and they have developed a really affordable line called "Skin Effects". There is a "Lip Magnifier" that is like $20. I've been using it a month, and absolutely can tell the difference.

And if any of you have those little ditches above your lip, I am hooked on L'Oreal Collagen Filler. It comes in a tube with a pointed end. I put it on over makeup because it dries clear. Put it in the wrinkle, let it sit a minute, then pat gently until it is absorbed and fills up the ditch! Perfect for around lips and bridge of nose.

Later !!

Pam

blurb on the Skin Effects line:

The collection includes Purifying Effects Deep Cleaning Enzyme Scrub for $6.99, Renewing Effects Daily Anti-Aging Cream for $15.99, Eye Effects Intensive Eye Treatment for $15.99, Flawless Effects Advanced Brightening Complex for $15.99, Wrinkle Effects Relaxing Serum for $19.99, Wrinkle Effects Relaxing Cream for $29.99, Resurfacing Effects Micro-Dermabrasion Kit for $24.99, Cleansing Effects Gentle Foaming Cleanser for $6.99 and Lip Effects Lip Magnifier for $19.99.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 8:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

My decision

Great info, ladies. Thank you so much. Here's what I've come to:

For the short-term, I found a product called "The Simon Solution: Two-Step System For Fuller Lips" by DermaFresh for $14.99 at Fred Meyer. It's actually okay. Does a very good job at moisturizing/plumping the lips to reduce the appearance of lines within the natural lip line. And --- big and -- the scent/taste isn't at all objectionable.

But I'm pretty sure that for a true long-term solution I'm going to have to go Restylane LipLine through my dermatologist.

I hate to out a fellow FTer, but I've commented a couple of times to Xxxxx on her extremely smooth lips. She's ~20 years older than me but has the smooth lips of a ~22-year-old. I know her fondness for potions, and I strongly suspect she's got some secret weapon for her lips -- but she won't share it!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded here. I may try a few more OTC products but I think I'm going to have to lay down serious cash for what I want. Bright lining: From what I can tell, it'll take fewer/farther between treatments to maintain wrinkle-free lips. (And, I may just have a *little* augmentation to the top top. What the hell, right!)
Old Oct 29, 2005, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I just remembered this product which I faithfully use & really like. It makes my lips look a little fuller and keeps my lipstick on longer. It is the Cellular Lip Enhancer by La Prairie. Lasts forever (should for $40.00).
http://laprairie.com/shoponline/lip.html
Available online or at dept. stores.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:25 am

My derm told me wait for the permanent line filler waiting for FDA approval soon, I think it's called Artefill and approved in other countries already under the name Artecoll. It 's supposedly truly permanent unlike the restylane.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by KSAN
My derm told me wait for the permanent line filler waiting for FDA approval soon, I think it's called Artefill and approved in other countries already under the name Artecoll. It 's supposedly truly permanent unlike the restylane.
I just read a first-person story in this month's Vogue about a permanent filler. I thought it was collagen based, but I left the copy on the plane and can't recall for certain what it was. It may be what you're talking about. It was about $500, so relatively cost effective considering it's permanent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.