Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

16-year old visiting from France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:53 am
Original Poster

This may not be the correct forum for this post, but the women here have always provided the greatest input in other respects, so here goes:

We have invited a 16-year-old boy from France to visit us next week. My son stayed with his family in Fontainebleu last summer, but other than that, we don't know him at all. I'd like to make his visit memorable -- any tips or ideas for activities would be appreciated. We live in Northern NJ (right outside of NYC).
Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:13 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Kids are so different in what they're interested in at that age. Here are a few thoughts. You could present him with a list of options and see what sounds good.

The Bronx Zoo.
The Trenton Aquarium.
Philadelphia- lots of history.
Maybe one of the heavily-commercial franchises in NYC- one Irish woman I know was dragged by her son (about the same age) to the World Wrestling Federation shop.
Definitely a day trip to NYC. I'd recommend the ferry to lower Manhattan if it's still running.
Hiking for a day at the section of the Appalachian trail in your area. (Sorry, I forget where it is- used to live in Wyckoff but have been in Kansas for 2 years.)
Golfing, if you and he are into that.

Finally, ask your son what he liked/didn't like about his trip to France. That may give you a good idea what works and doesn't work.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Atena53 provided excellent suggestions. Be sure to have your son e-mail or IM back and forth to get your visitor's "wish list" ahead of time.

I would think 1-2 days in NYC would be tops on his list. Add the Museum of Natural History plus Planetarium, the carrier Intrepid, Circle Line boat ride, the WTC site (but no tourist photos or antics please), Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, some of the big athletic clothing stores like Nike (if he's interested). How about a Yankees or Mets game?

If he's interested in history, you could research "French connections" at nearby Revolutionary War sites, then visit. This would give him good material for a school paper or report when he returns home.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

A NY Deli and a Broadway show
Old Jul 9, 2005, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
A few more "at-home" suggestions: take him to a place like The Market Basket on Saturday or Sunday and let him wander around sampling their foods, if they still do that. Take him to your place of worship. Have a cookout or pool party with your son's friends. Invite members of his French class; the kids can get an idea of how much they've learned!

He might also be impressed by a drive around the local high-schools even if you can't get in; it will be interesting to find out whether they're similar in his area or he finds yours huge by comparison.

I like the suggesiton of e-mailing him in advance. He can do some research on what's in the area, especially NYC, and decide what interests him.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:24 pm

For the NYC itinerary I would add Times Square, teenagers love it...especially Virgin Records.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:17 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
We hosted a sixteen year-old girl in BOS years ago. (It too was an exchange). She was fascinated with our food - or junk food I should say. She marveled at frozen waffles, (at the time I had an 9 year old who would only eat Eggo's for breakfast), and ice cream.

One key thing to remember is that in France drinking wine and/or beer is no big deal for 16 year olds. It is here. That may be a rude awaking for you visitor, so be prepared.

You didn't mention how long he was staying? As all the great suggestions listed above involve NYC, have you have the time have you thought about going to PHL for a day or so?

On a different front, when I was a kid growing up in the Bronx, my parents used to take us to Bear Mountain State Park for picnics. Is that still done?

Have you thought about a day trip to Atlantic City? - That's the closest thing to Las Vegas this side of the Mississippi and 16 year old boys are fascinated with Vegas.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS, UA
[QUOTE=climbermom] My son stayed with his family in Fontainebleu last summer, but other than that, we don't know him at all.

If he lived in fontainebleau there's a good chance he climbs. And judging by your handel either your or your child climb too. My suggestion is take him to a local climbing area. But don't forget about the sites.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We have been emailing back and forth, and I know he would love to see all the NYC sights. I have lots of activities planned, but since his English is limited and my French is non-existent, I guess I am more worried that he will not enjoy what I have planned and be too polite to express what he REALLY wants to do. We have six full days.

So far, I have scheduled:

A dinner at a restaurant owned by a climber who has visited him in France twice, and we will be joined by some other climbers who have been there and met him.

The private midnight party at ToysRUs Tiimes Square for the new Harry Potter book release;

A day of surfing at the NJ shore with my son and some others

A day of climbing at the Gunks in New Paltz, NY

A day of climbing at the new rock gym opening nearby where my son works

We'll do the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building and Times Square as well.

Also, we have a pool here, so hopefully we can have some downtime to just hang out.

Does this sound like enough? This family treated my son wonderfully last summer, and I'd really like to make this trip special for him. He has been to the US before, but never to NYC and never alone.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta, Air France
"curb your enthusiasm"

Your ideas sound great, but just be prepared for a lack of enthusiasm on the part of your visiting French boy. French teenagers excel at feigning indifference. At least in the beginning, try not to offer him choices; that has always been my biggest mistake when hosting foreign students! As for food: cereal for breakfast; ice cream and a proper lunch. Unless he is extremely adventuresome, he probably will not want corn on the cob or ribs. Good luck and have fun.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:51 pm

You might also consider having a brief chat with your son about your family rules before the visitor arrives. When my brother's family had an exchange student, the visitor and my niece egged each other on and got their tongues pierced. Neither set of parents was pleased! (my brother was a little relieved that they settled on the piercings instead of the tattoos they had considered)
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
How about a day at Great Adventure including the safari drive? Or, you can spend most of the day at the shore & go to Great Adventure in the late afternoon & evening. It's not that far out of your way. Depending upon the beach, you could probably get there in 20-30 minute if you go to Belmar or Pt. Pleasant (lots of surfers there).

A place like Sam's Club or Costco might make an interesting stop for anyone from Europe. (a really short stop).
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How long will he be visiting? Your list looks great. I would add a suggestion already mentioned.....take him to a Yankee game. Also what about Vernon Valley/Great Gorge? Wait...it's called Mountain Creek now. They have a huge water park. http://www.mountaincreekwaterpark.com/
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, this week is the All-Star break and then the Yankees are away. I don't think the Mets have quite the same allure.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
If he is a climber/outdoor type, what about Campmor? I know the dollar has improved against the Euro slightly, but I'm sure the exchange rates are still quite favorable for shopping. I'd say Garden State Plaza but I'm not sure I would wish that on my worst enemy, and since I don't even know you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.