Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Dry Skin Problems

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Winter Dry Skin Problems

I can't be the only one who has this problem, so I thought I'd try and get some help from the experts. With winter fast approaching in the NE, I can feel my skin getting dry already. I've learned over the past few winters that I shouldn't take very hot showers (as it further dries out the skin) and to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. But no matter how I contortion, getting my back moisturized is always a major chore. Does anybody have any spray lotions or other suggestions to offer?

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I use the Cetaphil tub and have for the past few years. I get it from Costco, but Target and Wal Mart usually carry it as well.

It's not oily or greasy but it protects the skin incredibly well. I haven't had dry skin problems since I've started using it. I tried the pump once when I ran out of the tub but it wasn't as effective.

Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:16 pm

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Ooooh, I'd love to hear how others handle that one spot on your back that can't be reached. I just can't seem to train my dog to help me with this.

One thing that I do year-round is exfoliate with a back brush and a loofah mit for the rest of my body. When I get really dry in the winter, I exfoliate twice a week, otherwise once a week works for me.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (only status that matters to me)
Ah yes, my favorite winter scourge - scaly skin!

I've tried just about every prescription, herbal, or drugstore unguent under the sun to help sooth my winter travel weary skin. I still dream of being sent to the tropics for work instead of my usual Midwestern/East Coast winter commutes so I won't have to deal with all the extra skin care.

I think I finally may have stumbled across the best remedy ever: jojoba oil. This, combined with a good exfoliation in the shower (L'Oreal's new Exfotonic scrub is wonderful), has transformed my lizard-like spots to baby-smooth ones. I use the oil after I shower and a bit in the AM and PM on particularly rought spots.

It's also a great leave in conditioner for dry locks.

You can usually find jojoba oil at your favorite massage locale/spa and any Whole Foodsy place.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:23 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
http://lotionapplicators.com/catalog...53da04233c6b9e

Ok, I knew I had seen these somewhere. I had a friend that use to wrap a washcloth around a stick and apply suntan lotion. This looks like it would be better.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:20 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
The BEST skin cream is Restoration Cream by Z. Bigatti, info at www.zbigatti.com buy at www.sephora.com

Other cheaper options of good cold whether moisturizers are Jin-Jang cream (also available from Sephora and Essential Harmony by Decleor.

As for refreshing spritzes La Mer has a good one so does Bath & Body Works ( a small blue bottle with antioxidants). Also Evian water has travel size sprays. My favorite at the moment is Shu Uemuras Deep Sea Water Sprays available in about 8 different varieties for different effects. I am using Rose and I am satisfied. \

I recommend getting salon products as opposed to departmentstore mainstream. Strong doses of topical vitamin C may help (Murad and Helena Rubenstein have good products).Look for a combination of glycolics, emollients, and antioxidants.

If you are flaking you may have the skin condition seborrhea similar to dandruff; a dermatologist can prescribe stronger potions for this type of condition.

Tips from a beauty professional
------------------
KLM PE,HHonors Diamond,SPG Plat,PC Plat,SAS Silver

[This message has been edited by Elena (edited Nov 17, 2003).]
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I love warm baths to help relax after work and to help me sleep, but the warm water does make dry skin worse. So I use the scented bath oil beads from Sephora. Also means that my back is getting moisturised!

Otherwise, it's the contoursionist (spelling?) moves trying to get Bath & Body Works body cream spread on my back.

------------------
http://www.benjaminwagner.com
Great music!
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:32 am

ok - this is my favorite tip. Extra virgin olive oil. I put it in a small squirt bottle and apply it after I shower, then put my robe on. By the time I get dressed it is soaked in and keeps me moisturized all day. My legs never have that dry, scaly skin anymore.

I learned this tip from Bianca Jagger. It is her only moisturizer. Try it!! All those chemicals in the OTC lotions are bad for your skin.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:45 am

I frequently experience dry, chapped lips throughout the year (flying exacerbates this) and my dermatologist recommended Aquaphor. Now I swear by it, and I apply it on flights and before I go to bed at night. It comes in a squeeze tube, and it's made by the same company that makes Eucerin lotion. It can usually be found by the lotions in a drug store, but you might have to go to a couple to find it. It is also supposed to help with dry skin on hands, feet elbows, knees, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Redhead:
Otherwise, it's the contoursionist (spelling?) moves trying to get Bath & Body Works body cream spread on my back.</font>
I use BBW body cream all year long and love it. I don't suffer from dry skin no matter what the time of year. Any company that offers products for winter skin dryness is selling you all a bill of goods. Use the same product(s) year round and you will feel the softness of your skin year round.

Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:37 pm

Love the olive oil thought It si a great way to keep your cuticles in good shape too I use an Origins product in a spay bottle called Birthday Suit I can spray it on my entire back and the rest of me too http://www.origins.com/templates/pro...h%20%26%20Body
Cheers Jane
Old Nov 19, 2003, 5:59 am

I discovered a store in London called Lush. They sell mail order and Internet through Canada. They have a store in San Francisco and Boston with one in NYC coming (I think)

Anyway...enough of the infomercial (I do not work there)

They have a product called Dream Cream. Oh my...bye bye dry skin. It uses oat milk and other wonderful goodies to moisturize you.

They sell tons of vegetarian and vegan friendly products too...

www.lush.com Happy hunting...
Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Drink plenty of water. And if you're not already taking vitamins, you may want to start taking some vitamin E.

Also, make sure your house is humid enough. In the north, the humidity in your house/apartment can be almost as bad as on airplanes if you don't have a humidifyer.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATLpax:
Aquaphor...It can usually be found by the lotions in a drug store, but you might have to go to a couple to find it.</font>
I used to use Aquaphor and it was very difficult to find at the time. Now I see it on shelves all the time.

Instead of going to multiple stores, you should be able to ask the pharmacist to order it, and it will usually come in the next day, just like if they had to special order a perscription for you. No extra charge.

d
Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
Great tips - I have to get one of those applicators!

Second the nomination of Lush products. I discovered them a few years ago in Australia. Dream Cream is great, it has essential oils and smells wonderful. My favorites are also Skin Drink (with aloe and sesame oil among other things) and Skin's Shangrila (with shea butter and wheatgrass extract among other things). I've always had super dry skin, and these creams are super-smoothing and moist.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 4:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Daisysmom:
ok - this is my favorite tip. Extra virgin olive oil. I put it in a small squirt bottle and apply it after I shower, then put my robe on. By the time I get dressed it is soaked in and keeps me moisturized all day. My legs never have that dry, scaly skin anymore.

I learned this tip from Bianca Jagger. It is her only moisturizer. Try it!! All those chemicals in the OTC lotions are bad for your skin.
</font>
My wife recently started carrying olive oil facial moisturizer.

It comes in a tube that she keeps in her purse.

[This message has been edited by BeautifulFeet (edited Nov 22, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.