Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shingles...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
shingles...

... and I'm not talking about the kind you put on your roof.

Anyone have any experiences with this lovely condition?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I hear it is pretty miserable. Look for more info on www.webmd.com
If you do,indeed, have it, I wish you a good and speedy recovery,
O2K
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:14 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I had chicken pox as an adult and it was extremely unpleasant as they were everywhere - in my mouth, ears, you name it. I know shingles are generally much more painful - my grandmother had it. If you have it, I wish you a quick recovery.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 7, 2007 at 7:46 am
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:17 am

Thankfully, all my experience has been second or third hand. And most of the serious cases were women over the age of 75. Something you aren't sharing with us?

------------------
Help! I've fallen in status and I can't get up.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
My husband had them last year. They were more an annoyance but became painfull at times. He was tired and achey a lot. It took forever for them to clear up. Travel and stress don't help them go away either. It just takes time. If they look like they are getting infected then antibiotics help otherwise antibiotics don't do any good.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Thanks gals... Yep, I've got them.

Fortunately I self-diagnosed fairly quickly... my mother had them so when the first batch cropped up this week while I was on a trip, I hightailed it to the doctor the second my plane landed. They were able to start the antiviral immediately so that probably prevented the spread. Beyond that, however, all they could really give me was the advice to take Tylenol during the day and Vicodan to sleep.

The pain is really the part that is killing me... well, that and the fact that the blisters are on my arm and upper back which will make wearing summer clothes for the rest of the summer almost impossible in polite society. Right now it hurts to wear most clothing... the exceptions being very very loose peasanty-type tops or very close fitting ballet-type knits.

It is still uncommon for folks who aren't senior citizens to get them... but I've talked to several friends who all know someone from grad school/med school/law school who had a case during a high stress/low sleep period. I *have* been burning the candle at both ends so this makes sense.

The worst thing about them is the pain... this will effectively kill my workouts for the next few weeks as the nerve pain in my right arm is unbearable. Yoga does seem to help dull the pain, however, so I'll be doing legs-only with my trainer and then hitting yoga three or four times a week.

This royally sucks.

Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:49 pm

Sorry, I decided no one needed to hear the gory details.

[This message has been edited by flowerchild (edited 07-13-2003).]
Old Jul 13, 2003, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
A guy I was dating last spring had had them last winter but the scars still hadn't faded completely yet. Said it was extremely painful.

Sorry to hear about it TechGirl, hope you're feeling better soon. Take it easy and take a little time for yourself and to relax!
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
So sorry to hear of your ordeal, TechGirl! I know it must be very painful. I admire your quest to carry on with your fitness goals. Keep at it.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:37 pm

Hang in there, techgirl. That which doesn't kill you makes you strong. And stop burning the candle at both ends. Your body is trying to get your attention!!
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:20 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I actually did a lot of reading on this about a year ago when a friend of mine SWORE that Shingles was an STD.

My sister had shingles when she was 20. High stress is definitely a factor.

Hang in there Techie...this too shall pass!
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I am taking it a bit easier as advised. I still have several business trips to take but I have cancelled or postponed all leisure/nonessential stuff until this subsides.

Does anyone know anything about the scarring risk? I've read a variety of sources which vary from no scarring to possibly heavy scars. Obviously they want to both reassure those ill with it and point out risk, but that is a huge variance.

Do any of you know anything about this based on those you have known?
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:21 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
From what I've read, scarring is most likely in older folks and in people who get severe cases of shingles. You should check with your doctor first, but I've heard after the blisters scab over vitamin E cream can help prevent scars. Be on the watch for any problems with your eyes or blisters near them (on your nose, etc.). You don't want cornea scarring.

My grandmother does have some slight scarring - they're white areas - on her arms, but then she fell into the category of older folks who contracted shingles.

Be careful in your travels. Until your blisters scab up you are contagious in the sense someone could get chicken pox from you, but they'd have to come in direct contact with the blister fluid. You might avoid sitting next to any infants or pregnant women on airplanes.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 8:30 am

Techie - best wishes for the speediest recovery. Let's hope that your recent success with eating right and exercising will accelerate your recovery. Every little bit helps (especially the Vicodan ).

My sis had shingles in college (yes, high stress/low sleep) and didn't have any significant scarring. Took her a while to feel 100% though. She was pretty functional after a couple of weeks, just not full steam ahead.

I had a very bad accident when I was 12 involving hot oil on the face (long story). Very bad burns, mouth fused shut in a place, blisters and all sorts of gore. But the part of the story is that I did 2 things which resulted in zero scarring - 1. NO SUN, NONE, ZERO, BIG HATS, INDOORS, NO SUN! 2. Vitamin E Cream as Letiole has already mentioned. I actually used the pure oil and kept the scabs moist (ick, that sounds so gross). I had visions of being completely deformed for life but by the end of the summer, I was looking like my old self again. Give the Vitamin E a try.

And pamper yourself with lots of rest
Old Jul 14, 2003, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by techgirl:
T I still have several business trips to take but I have cancelled or postponed all leisure/nonessential stuff until this subsides.

</font>
Isn't that kind of the wrong way round? Shouldn't you be doing less of the first, and more of the leisure ?

Hope you feel better soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.