Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Clothes/Shoes for Bangkok Sightseeing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

I am stressed out packing for a trip for Bangkok. I especially am having problems deciding which shoes to bring. Any advice would be helpful.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
You'll see people wearing just about everything in Bangkok. In general avoid shorts. A pair of khakis and light-weight shirts work well. The main temple square - I forget what it's called - requires shoes with backs unless you're a monk. They'll also rent you some sandals and sell you some socks. Some comfortable flats should be fine.

Edited to add: You'll need to take your shoes off before entering any temples so be sure and have shoes that go on and off easily.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 02-27-2003).]
Old Feb 27, 2003, 1:33 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
In some places you must where blouses with sleaves (short sleaves are ok). If you forget to bring them they do have loaners but I would not recommend them. Don't worry about fashion just bring it along with you just in case it is necessary.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your advice. I will be sure to bring modest clothing for visiting the temples.

Any other tips?
Old Mar 5, 2003, 7:25 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Other tips for tropical travel:

Shortsleeved 100% cotton or handkerchief-weight linen dresses are coolest and most comfortable. Mid-calf length allows for modesty. Wash out in the hotel sink, roll in a towel, hang to dry. Slip-on/off shoes are a must for temples. I take an umbrella for sun protection.

In Thailand, don't touch anyone on the (highly sacred) head, including children.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Also cotton trousers, which are better are protecting from mosquitoes (They love me!) than dresses - so can be better in evenings. I got completely munched at Cabbages and Condoms one night by them (V. good restaurant in Bangkok) because I was in a skirt.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jenbel:
Also cotton trousers, which are better are protecting from mosquitoes (They love me!) than dresses - so can be better in evenings. I got completely munched at Cabbages and Condoms one night by them (V. good restaurant in Bangkok) because I was in a skirt. </font>
Having never been to Thailand myself, I was, to say the least, intrigued by the name of the restaurant....

So I googled my way to this:

http://www.gonomad.com/features/0011..._cabbages.html

Kathy

P.S.: I wonder how many of our male FT colleagues will start doing "vasectomy runs" to Bangkok? Of course, this is a run you only do once....and the condoms might still be a good idea for other reasons....

P.P.S.: I was going to make some bad jokes about "Bangkok" and vasectomies and.... but decided not to.

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 03-05-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:

Having never been to Thailand myself, I was, to say the least, intrigued by the name of the restaurant....

So I googled my way to this:

http://www.gonomad.com/features/0011..._cabbages.html

Kathy

P.S.: I wonder how many of our male FT colleagues will start doing "vasectomy runs" to Bangkok? Of course, this is a run you only do once....and the condoms might still be a good idea for other reasons....

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 03-05-2003).]
</font>
We were recommended it by our hotel concierge, who told us the Thai name - presumably so as not to shock us! Once we arrived, I realised that I had read about it in Lonely Planet. It is REALLY worth a visit, as the food is very, very good! And yes, got the condoms with the coffee! But do sit inside if you are attractive to mosquitoes.

Oh yes, and the cabbage part of the name comes from the fact it was built on what used to be a cabbage patch! And I'm sure if they offered miles for vasectomies, there would be some takers!

[This message has been edited by Jenbel (edited 03-06-2003).]
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
So, a "free" vasectomy isn't good enough? Well, free when you purchase a meal, I guess. The miles/points come with the credit card you use for the meal!

Kathy
Old Mar 9, 2003, 3:22 am

I grew up in Thailand.. here's what I wore in the summers when it was the hottest..

Light colors were the best.. and I prefered cotton and linen to anything else.. natural fabrics are always more comfortable. I'd suggest khakis or capris in a thin fabric and slightly loose fitting.. and the same with shirts.. sleeveless shirts are not acceptable for visiting temples as someone already mentioned. If you prefer them though, tank tops with a short sleeved or even a long sleeved button down shirt to wear over it is always a good idea. The long sleeves help in the evenings when the mosquitos start to come out to bite too.

Don't forget a hat.. if you're not used to the tropical sun then you'll burn easily - not just on your face but also on the back of your neck. I have waaaaaaay too many memories of the 'caps' they made us wear in elementary school - I should remember, my mom designed them - they were baseball caps with flap of material hanging down the back to cover your neck to keep it from getting burned. UGLY things I tell you! I'd suggest a lightweight straw hat instead.

As for shoes.. pick them for comfort more than anything else, especially if you plan on walkinga lot. You'll have to remove them when you visit temples, as well as anybody's home so for those situations, something you can slip on and off. You didn't mention what month of the year you're travelling in..but with a rainy season as long as it is, chances are you're going to run into some rain. For this reason sandals aren't always a great idea - you get the squishy wet between the toes feeling if your shoes get wet. And on that note, make sure your shoes - heck everything you take with you - dry easily. I've had plenty of relatives who visiting me when I was a kid who didn't think of things like this and had damp shoes their entire trip.

Anyways.. off the top of my head, this is all I can think of. Any more questions, ask away! Oh.. and say hello to my home country for me when you're there.. it's been over 4 years since I was there last!

Have a very sanuk (fun) trip!
Jas.

------------------
Where are we going...? And what's with the hand basket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.