Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Five Quarters of An Orange

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2002, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Five Quarters of An Orange

OK, who wants to discuss this book? I am ready ...
Old Jul 15, 2002, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Me too.

Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:57 pm

I better hurry up and finish it.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 7:35 pm

I will be picking it up from the library in the next couple of days, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Please make sure you mark the thread well when you start the discussion, I would hate to accdientally open it up and read something that I haven't read in the book yet.

[This message has been edited by AC903 (edited 07-17-2002).]
Old Jul 19, 2002, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Hmmmmm ... anyone else reading this?

[This message has been edited by CozumelJen (edited 07-19-2002).]
Old Jul 20, 2002, 11:09 am

I'm in the midst of reading it. I'm a bit behind. I took a friend, who's preparing for a masectomy, to Atlanta for a couple days of fun.
Old Jul 20, 2002, 7:16 pm

I am almost done. I have been a bit slow reading it because of a few things going on here.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 1:26 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm back from vacation and done reading the book. I'm ready to start discussing anytime.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:52 pm

I've just started it, but I'm a fast reader.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I should be done with it by Friday and then I'll pass it on to PeachesBB.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 8:37 pm

I just started this last night but I too should be done by the end of the week.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Finished it on my flights today.

[spoiler start]

Thank you for suggesting this book. I'm going to buy copies for a couple of my familiy members to read.

We just (in the last two weeks) went through a family crisis and death that really echoed some of the the things in this book - long kept family secrets that aren't what they seem, siblings not speaking, cryptic journals, generations arguing about what one has an entitlement, etc.

I'm still organizing my thoughts on exactly what the theme of the book was but it was a wonderful read.

[spoiler off]
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:42 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
How about we start the discussion???

(Caution: Don't read further if you haven't finished the book.)

I too am not real clear yet on the theme of the book, but enjoyed reading it. My husband and I have also experienced situations in our families where the truth of a situation didn't come out until it was too late. I had a greataunt (a native German speaker trained as a nurse) everyone thought was absolutely nuts because she would talk very cryptically about her involvement in WWII and the secrets she knew. We didn't find out the truth - that she was a spy for the US - until she was buried at Arlington and we were able to get her records through the FOIA. Likewise, my father-in-law lived a lie about his involvement in McCarthyism until just recently. The details of that came as quite a blow to my husband - not his involvement so much as the lie. You have to wonder why it's so much easier sometimes for families keep secrets that end up leading to so much more pain than the truth ever would have.

In addition to the secrecy part, the book hit on how much one can so easily become what's modeled for them. I'm speaking of how Boise appears to have hated her mother's coldness and yet the relationship between she and her daughter is nearly identical to the one she and her mother had.

Something I'm not clear on ... what was the point of Tomas inviting the kids to the club that night? What did he expect to happen? Surely he couldn't have forseen the events as they unfolded. What did he want them to see? Did he think their mother would show up?
Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
Something I'm not clear on ... what was the point of Tomas inviting the kids to the club that night? What did he expect to happen? Surely he couldn't have forseen the events as they unfolded. What did he want them to see? Did he think their mother would show up? </font>
I was wondering the same thing...While this theory doesn't make much sense I had a fleeting thought wondering if Tomas didn't set up Reinette in order to get back to her mother? But Tomas is written about in such a positive manner it would be hard to imagine this.

The book keeps you on your toes. There were a lot of things that I didn't see coming at all.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
On one hand the book made me terribly sad. When I think of the love, attention and concern that we have spent on our children over the years, it seems just sad beyond belief to think about children growing like weeds.

On the other hand, it reminded me in some ways of how I grew up like a weed. As kids we used to take off with a lunch for the woods in the morning when our chores were done and run, explore and play until dinner time.

Different perspectives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.