Wiki Posts
Search

Tell me about TheRealReal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Tell me about TheRealReal

Due to too much time on this thread, I recently ventured onto TRR to augment my travel wardrobe. After lurking for several weeks, I just purchased a St John jacket, sheath dress, and tank in simple styles and neutral colors for about $250 total. All were listed as "very good" condition, but I'm still a bit nervous! What do you think?
gretchendz and l etoile like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have shopped but not yet purchased from TRR. Did get a couple st John and misook sheaths from thredup a couple years ago - one of the dresses has been altered so fits a little weird (the bodice was taken in, I think - in a knit!) Thredup gives very little info on pieces - TRR has more - but that is now a big concern for me. Had an issue with a pair of EF leggings this year (also TU) that were SUPER skinny - the waist measurement was off a little but should still have worked for me. So I won't spend much there now, on the off chance I'll have to donate immediately...
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

It just “seems” like a chance to take- the St John separates are so basic and reduced in price, I’ll report back when they arrive. I dislike taking expensive things on trips, travel is so hard on clothing. Fingers crossed.
gretchendz, l etoile and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ah yes

Originally Posted by QT31415
Due to too much time on this thread, I recently ventured onto TRR to augment my travel wardrobe. After lurking for several weeks, I just purchased a St John jacket, sheath dress, and tank in simple styles and neutral colors for about $250 total. All were listed as "very good" condition, but I'm still a bit nervous! What do you think?
The FlyerTalk Women Travelers forum..the most expensive forum on the planet You all cost me so much money....
Hoyaheel, QT31415, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:31 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QT31415
I love St. John Knits - they travel really well. I’ll be curious to hear about the pieces when they arrive.

I started following a men’s fashion writer recently who is really interesting. He writes about beefier topics such as what fast fashion is, clothing waste, worker conditions and buying used clothing. He’s raised my awareness and my interest in buying used. I look a bit at ThredUp now, but so far pieces I’ve liked haven’t been in my size.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'm a HUGE fan of Eileen Fisher Re/new - they resell their own stuff, cleaned and occasionally modified. I trust their descriptions etc - not as cheap as thredup for EF, but more reliable for things I have bought.

​​​​​
l etoile likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 8:07 am
Original Poster

I use EF renew fairly often, but the last four items I’ve purchased I’ve had to return. One had a used tissue in the pocket, and the others were either too worn or incorrectly described. Their photos are not great ( I prefer to see clothing on a body, even a mannekin) and sometimes sizes are off due to previous fabric care techniques. I really like their San Leandro outlet sales but am not there often enough (it’s one exit away from the OAK airport, an easy Uber ride!)

Fast fashion is definitely a problem these days, with social media sending out a constant stream of the “newest” thing. At least this forum is a bit slower!
Hoyaheel and l etoile like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I've had good luck with TRR when I'm looking for a very specific thing (something from a previous season, favorite brands with consistent sizing, or a replacement for something I already have, like a larger size of an old favorite dress). The photography can be very weird sometimes-- shirts styled as dresses, things pinned where they shouldn't be, or just put on the mannequin completely incorrectly. And then there are issues with the listed sizes: if it's a brand that uses its own size chart (e.g., size 1, 2, 3) all bets are off how it will be listed. I've received things marked online as a "6" that was really an "S" on the tag. Etc. There are also persistent rumors about their less-than-expert eye when it comes to authenticity, so I'd be wary of purchasing frequently faked or super-recognizable pieces.

All that said, I still buy from them at least a few times a year. I have a stack of things to re-consign that just didn't work, but I usually wait until the 70% sales or the not infrequent free store credit (go long enough without shopping there and they'll send a $25 credit), so I chalk that up to gambling losses, really.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I had one good experience with The RR and one horrible experience. The good: I purchased a nice Loro Piano scarf The bad: My husband loved beautiful clothes with he generally purchased in Italy, They were designer clothes by Fendi, Brioni, Gucci, etc. I also had a fine collection of designer clothes, which included Burberry trench coat with zip out lining along with dresses and shoes. I also had an exquisite mink coat, which I had not worn in several years, When the Real Real "Concierge" came to see and appraise them for resale, she was beside herself with excitement. She told me that I was definitely going to make a lot of money. Shortly after her visit, I moved and notified them of my new address. They confirmed that many items had been returned for one reason or another. They returned the items to the old address. As to the mink coat, they denied ever having received, although it was listed on the original inventory.. I called customer service dozens of times and spoke with many "supervisors." I wanted to know what happened to the fur coat. When I threatened legal action they settled for a few hundred dollars. I would never recommend this company.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Oh My

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I had one good experience with The RR and one horrible experience. The good: I purchased a nice Loro Piano scarf The bad: My husband loved beautiful clothes with he generally purchased in Italy, They were designer clothes by Fendi, Brioni, Gucci, etc. I also had a fine collection of designer clothes, which included Burberry trench coat with zip out lining along with dresses and shoes. I also had an exquisite mink coat, which I had not worn in several years, When the Real Real "Concierge" came to see and appraise them for resale, she was beside herself with excitement. She told me that I was definitely going to make a lot of money. Shortly after her visit, I moved and notified them of my new address. They confirmed that many items had been returned for one reason or another. They returned the items to the old address. As to the mink coat, they denied ever having received, although it was listed on the original inventory.. I called customer service dozens of times and spoke with many "supervisors." I wanted to know what happened to the fur coat. When I threatened legal action they settled for a few hundred dollars. I would never recommend this company.
Oh my goodness..that's a cautionary tale for sure.
obscure2k and l etoile like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:44 am
Original Poster

(deleted)

Last edited by QT31415; Jun 15, 2023 at 10:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.