Community
Wiki Posts
Search

England, shoulder season

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
OK, the packing prep is starting - we leave next week. Temps this past week looked like here last week - 80 during the day, 65 at night. Cooler this upcoming week - 68 day, 50 night, with more rain back in. Similar weather in all the areas we will be. Shoes could be an issue for me - my most comfy walking shoes are a little heavier, goretex Haglofs walkers - I tend to wear in the colder months. For summer walking I tend to use hiking sandals. I don't have a great pair of walkers for medium temps. (other shoes will be an ecco slip on sneaker and a birkenstock)

Can I do a light pack? I have started with The Vivienne Files 4X4 wardrobe template, we'll see how closely I can stick to that. I'm already laughing. Hubs isn't helping - he won't pack light. He might pack lightER.....I just don't want to be hauling bags all over the place - we move a lot more than we normally do for this trip, 5 different hotels/rentals over 2 weeks.
Have a great time! Things are much quieter this time of year; haven't had any delays or cancellations (crossing all my fingers and toes) on my last two transatlantic flights. Thanks to the capsule wardrobes I've learned about from all you folks, I've travelled with a small 11kg bag on the last trips of 2-3 weeks and have loved it - no lost bags, transportation troubles, or having to tip porters. Have zipped from place to place with minimal effort, and style has not been affected! Hope to see pics of all your stylish efforrts, Hoyaheel!
tcl, Hoyaheel and willoL like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Can I do a light pack? I have started with The Vivienne Files 4X4 wardrobe template, we'll see how closely I can stick to that. I'm already laughing. Hubs isn't helping - he won't pack light. He might pack lightER.....I just don't want to be hauling bags all over the place - we move a lot more than we normally do for this trip, 5 different hotels/rentals over 2 weeks.
I find that re-packing up all the small odds and ends takes time, too, especially with a larger room. So it is the hauling of bags, especially if using public transit with stairs, but also thinking of how many times I'll need to pack & optimizing for that. Some of my packing accessories or packing tetris is chosen to make it easier to live out of my bag.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by freecia
I find that re-packing up all the small odds and ends takes time, too, especially with a larger room. ... Some of my packing accessories or packing tetris is chosen to make it easier to live out of my bag.
I love a hanging bag with pockets for just this reason.

RedOxx makes the Big Bull Roll Up, and the Rolo bag is a lighter-duty version that is similar in concept. I would carry the RedOxx on its own, but usually stow the Rolo inside a larger checked bag to protect it from wear & tear.
https://www.redoxx.com/big-bull-roll-up-91098/p
https://www.rolotravel.com/

Both are similar to those cheap jewelry bags easily found on Amazon, but sized to accommodate socks, undies, and other small-to-mid-sized garments. As a woman who wears a M/L, I could pack everything (except maybe shoes) for a weekend in the RedOxx version, but it is an expensive $450 bag (because Made In USA by people who think employees deserve living wages...)
Old Sep 15, 2023, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
This is an abnormal style of travel for us - normally we are one place and unpack. So I'm not buying new travel accessories just for this. I will repack based on the next stop, though ;-)

Just need to finish hair/makeup/jewelry this morning and I'll be set. Not as light as I'd hoped, but far better than it could have been - I've been much better avoiding the "what if I need...." additions.
freecia likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:56 am

Would love to see what you packed! What were the colors of your capsule?
Old Sep 30, 2023, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Just back yesterday - so much fun! Mostly black, with stone, white and turquoise. Will post pics tomorrow. Used Most of what I brought so probably wouldn't have done too much different.​
chgoeditor, QT31415, tcl and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

The only thing I didn't wear once was the white waterfall cardigan. Didn't wear the sweatshirt often - it was mid 60s most days, 50s at night, sun and rain, so I wasn't cold. Not too bad on picking options though. I also had a raincoat & rain hat I forgot to add to this pic - it's green so most definitely not part of the color scheme - but easily packed into a stuff sack or the front pocket of my suitcase for easy access. A very casual trip, and I was glad I brought the tanks - esp the day we took the AGA cooking class - it was HOT in there!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2023 England clothing.pdf (332.6 KB, 16 views)
QT31415 and tcl like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 2:38 pm

Nice! Very helpful to see someone's realistic capsule. Just starting to think about our trip to Portugal and Scotland this month. Very odd combo of destinations, especially for clothing choices, but your capsule looks very versatile and layered as well.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

The main reason I take photos (or save from website when I order online) is to make my packing list (this time I tried really hard to do the 4x4 from Vivienne Files). But it's also easy to share. Seeing the capsule is the best way for me to think/plan on that way. Glad it helps others! I'm very boring - this is my standard capsule travel style for casual vacations. Sometimes red is my accent color, and I use more black in cold weather....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.