Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

In what countries would you NOT travel alone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In what countries would you NOT travel alone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Travelmad, I agree with you, I found Russia to be very safe and felt comfortable on public transportation alone (except those crazy escalators in the metro, watch for falling tourists!). Very sad that my visa will expire before Mr P does. San Diego, thanks for the Advantour site - their options look affordable and interesting and it's nice to have your input - do you recall your itinerary?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:01 am

Some Chinese rumor said that after reopening her border,China Will recover two trains from Beijing to Moscow . The first one K27 go directly from her captain Beijing to Moscow, and the second one K3 will call at Mongolian Captain ending Moscow. Another source suspected that the railway will reopen until Chinese be visa-free to Russia later this year. Hopefully we have the chances to enjoy this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by QT31415
When we visited Russia in 2019, I applied for a 3 year visa in hopes of returning for the TransSiberian railroad. Then Covid and politics and work injuries hit, and I'm just starting to look at a rail journey again, albeit not to Russia.
I was also in Russia in 2019 and hoped to return before my visa ran out. Sadly, it looks like it will be a very long time before American tourists visit Russia again, which is a shame because I loved it and wanted to return and spend more time there.

Back to the topic, I've been wanting to see Morocco but multiple people have told me not to travel there alone.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I was also in Russia in 2019 and hoped to return before my visa ran out. Sadly, it looks like it will be a very long time before American tourists visit Russia again, which is a shame because I loved it and wanted to return and spend more time there.

Back to the topic, I've been wanting to see Morocco but multiple people have told me not to travel there alone.
I've been to Morocco several times, and while I've never traveled solo, when she was in her mid-70s and I was in my mid-40s my mom and I drove all over the country for two weeks. We prefer to stay off the beaten path, so we avoided highways, which meant we stopped in some pretty remote places for gas and bathroom breaks. I've never felt threatened in Morocco, and would be very comfortable traveling solo if I were staying in major cities/flying or taking the train between them. There are also a number of companies offering woman-only tours through Morocco.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:47 pm

What about African countries like Namibia , Mozambique etc . Are those safe in your opinion for solo travels?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by jennywhite
What about African countries like Namibia , Mozambique etc . Are those safe in your opinion for solo travels?
Namibia is definitely fine, it’s a very safe country. I have not been to Mozambique but I’ve never heard anything particularly bad about it. I have been to South Africa well over 20x, almost all of them solo, plus many other African countries, also solo.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Namibia is definitely fine, it’s a very safe country. I have not been to Mozambique but I’ve never heard anything particularly bad about it. I have been to South Africa well over 20x, almost all of them solo, plus many other African countries, also solo.
Thanks a lot! i've been to South Africa couple of years ago but together with a group of people. Loved the country!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 10:15 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jennywhite
I haven't been to either of those so can't speak from personal experience.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We're heading to Mozambique next summer, but it's a group of us visiting a good friend (college roommates; one friend lives in Maputo).
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Agree on Namibia - I never felt threatened there. Morocco - just depends on where you stay - I went with my daughter when she was 16, and we were walking along the street when some guy reached out and grabbed her - he was instantly smacked about the head and shoulders by multiple other men who were around and saw, they yelled at him until he slunk away. Turkey is somewhere she felt uncomfortable as a teenaged girl, but then she learned to dress as the local women do and the treatment improved.

I'm a bit worried about India, though my daughter goes there often and says it's fine, though she stays in the nicer areas of towns.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: BA GfL
India can be aggravating to travel in as a woman (solo or otherwise), but it would not stop me from going there. Particularly in the northern part of the country (including Delhi), just being a foreigner of any kind walking around in any place where foreigners don’t normally go can make you the center of attention from both men and women. It can get uncomfortable if you get bothered by being relentlessly stared at, plainly talked about, etc. Catcalling from men happens, although Indian women have it far worse.

I’ve been to India upwards of 25x, mostly for work and mostly solo, and I am the kind of person who likes to wander around on foot. I’ve never felt really unsafe (importantly, if I start feeling like I’m somewhere that’s not a good place to be, I leave!), but I’ve definitely been annoyed there by both men and women.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 12:34 am

For me, the place that I am afraid to travel alone is Afghanistan. My auntie previously worked there, and she has a very bad experience, but I don't say that all people from Afghanistan are all the same, I believe that there are still a lot of good people living in Afghanistan. It's just my opinion due to history.
gretchendz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.