Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A New Shopping Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I have 2 Lands End thinsulate coats (barn style - I had a 3rd but I outgrew it - that was belted) - all hip length. Nice for mid-level temps for me; I used to travel with them all the time. When we went to Vancouver Island this past December, I actually ended up packing my knee length down puffer (Lands End) as well as my knee length raincoat with hood (Eddie Bauer). We had cold but dry temps the first few days, warmer & rainy at the end of the trip - so I was happy to have both coats. Though I could have survived with the rain coat and a warmer sweater layer, I didn't feel like it this time.

If you're worried about traveling with chemical or battery powered heaters, another idea is shearling innersoles if they fit in your shoes/boots. I have some - but haven't installed in any of my footwear as I got them after our Canada trip and our winter has been ridiculously warm.....
Even thinner, but still effective, are sock liners. I wear them for hiking, but I've also just worn them under Smartwool socks when it's particularly cold out, and they're quite effective.
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:55 pm

I found that the key to staying warm is having my ears, forehead and hands covered. Perhaps bring a beanie or earmuffs, and some gloves!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:30 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I’m in the process of buying for an Antarctica cruise so basically similar packing list. These things were recommended to me and I’m liking them so far.

I’ve just started buying from Woolx (they have frequent sales) and I’m loving their pieces. Merino wool, very packable and great quality base layers. I have a Minus 33 wool fleece that I use for layer 2. I also bought a couple of Athleta pieces - they had some fleece-lined leggings and a turtleneck top.

I bought all black and grey clothes and then bought some neckwear/neck gaiters from Buff in colors. The neckwear are tubes, lightweight and designed for warmth. You can pull them up over part of your face, which may be important for you. Your face gets cold looking up at the NL.

Glove liners and sock liners I love for warmth. The sock liners also extend the time between washing for wool socks. (I never realized the importance of good socks and thought the cost crazy until I bought some. Good wool socks are worth every penny in comfort.)

Make sure your head is warm with a beanie or headband, beanie is best.

I have yet to try these, but I bought the best reviewed touch screen gloves I could find. I want my hands warm while taking snaps. Those will be my glove liners under my warmer gloves.

Upthread freecia mentioned keeping your phone warm. I’ve been in Norway in winter and my battery went out after about 10 minutes and didn’t come back so I bought a cold weather pouch for it. I’m not thrilled that it’s a pouch instead of a case, but I couldn’t find a case.

Have fun!
gretchendz likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 11, 2023 at 9:28 am
Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Never Thought of That

Originally Posted by l etoile
Upthread freecia mentioned keeping your phone warm. I’ve been in Norway in winter and my battery went out after about 10 minutes and didn’t come back so I bought a cold weather pouch for it. I’m not thrilled that it’s a pouch instead of a case, but I couldn’t find a case.

Have fun!
Wow thanks for mentioning the battery issue--I never thought of that! Guess I did not ready freecia post more closely.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:02 pm

Merino wool is amazing for layering (thermals etc) - moisture wicking which really helps. I believe it's from Australia / New Zealand.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:56 am

Our trip to Antarctica and beyond.

Silica gel packets that come with new shoes! I keep them permanently packed.

I saved these and put them in my camera bag and ziplock bags that hold batteries. They absorb moisture and going in and out of heated ship and outside, everything gets foggy and moist. These absorb moisture.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:22 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Good mention on the silica gel desiccant packets. I like them too and have been keeping them in my luggage at all times. I bought a big bag of them for about $5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.