Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Packing and weather advice for NYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.

Planning a long weekend in Manhattan mid-September. It is still hot as blazes in the deep south (90's) and we continue to wear our linens, tank tops and sandals. The weather projections in NY, however, are for mild temps from 62-79 F. My typical packing list for NYC revolves around black and navy basics, button down shirts/light sweaters and sneakers-generally very autumnal . Thinking I should go a bit lighter weight than that? Maybe dark pants/skirts and white or neutral tops? I'm assuming that it feels warm enough for short sleeves in the daytime? Maybe a denim jacket or light wrap at night?

Can some of you in the eastern part of the US give me an idea of what you are wearing this time of year? I appreciate your tips!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
It can be very nice or still very summery (and humid) in September. It's lovely right now-- in the low 70s-- but the forecast has us back in the mid-80s on Wednesday, which is higher than was forecast just a few days ago. I have a couple of important meetings this week and it's back to my fancy summer clothes, unfortunately.

I tend not to put away my lightweight clothes until mid or even late October anymore, and I'll still be wearing my linen (all dark-colored dresses, tops, and skirts) for the next two months. But at least I'll be able to wear a light jacket occasionally, which has been stored away since May.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:37 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I would recommend layering at this time of year. Sleeveless/short-sleeves for the daytime and thin jacket or wrap for the evening - something along the lines of a twinset would cover most temperature fluctuations for September
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Agree with the above. Keep it layered, and bear in mind that if you are anywhere along the Hudson or the East River, morning and evening temps are five to ten degrees cooler than elsewhere in the City, due to the high winds. A twinset in a silk cashmere blend (or just a very light cashmere) is great. If you are going to be out late, late at night, you may need a heavier jacket (and maybe even some gloves) depending on how cold you get. I like to wrap a silk scarf around my neck in the morning, then transfer it to the handle of my handbag as it gets warmer during the day. If I need it around my neck again in the evening, it's right there.
tcl likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Thanks for the helpful advice. Looking forward to my visit!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
For those visiting our city this time of year: bear in mind that the high-rises create wind tunnels like you may not have experienced elsewhere. Also (as a friend of mine who moved here from Anchorage points out regularly), we are exposed to the elements quite a bit. Where most people are used to walking from the office door across the parking lot to their car within a few minutes, we are regularly walking in the cold (40s, 30s, sometimes colder) for several blocks as we head from our front door to the subway station (or, heaven help us, the bus stop, where we may have to wait in the elements for 20 minutes or more). Dress in layers, make sure to have a hat and gloves at least in your pocket (I have leather gloves lined in everything from silk to cashmere in varying lengths and colors). Scarves are also both functional and pretty. And this is the time for boots and ankle boots. I live in boots bought in an end of season sale ten years ago and taken to The Leather Spa every few years for maintenance. I recently found a pair of ankle boots from Aquatalia -- beautiful, comfortable, stylish, and waterproof. They were also more than 60% off. I love mid-winter sales. These are boots I will also have re-conditioned regularly, so I am thrilled to have found them.
Hoyaheel and rsqrott like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:59 pm

Ysolde's post is spot on, the wind tunnel effect is no joke.

Originally Posted by ysolde
And this is the time for boots and ankle boots. I live in boots bought in an end of season sale ten years ago and taken to The Leather Spa every few years for maintenance. I recently found a pair of ankle boots from Aquatalia -- beautiful, comfortable, stylish, and waterproof. They were also more than 60% off. I love mid-winter sales. These are boots I will also have re-conditioned regularly, so I am thrilled to have found them.
I can't like this enough. Waterproof boots (or ankle boots) will be your best friend. I have both Aquatalia and Blondo leather or suede in several styles. Even if it's dry during your visit there always seem to be random leaks or puddles on the sidewalk, in the street, in the subway...

Once I started commuting to NYC I pack my work bag with the same kinds of travel essentials I keep in my carry on. Make sure you bring a small umbrella with you too, just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.