Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wedding in China

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by tcl
I just reread the part where you mentioned that you're the grandmother?
In that case, go formal as it would be expected of you as part of the wedding party and as the grand matriarch. You would most likely be given a pinned corsage (for some reason they only do pinned corsages in Asia for both male and females) to show that you are directly related to the couple. Pearls are OK as no one would dare say a thing!
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
While I absolutely think it's a great idea to be prepared and to read up on the traditions and to try to participate, I also wouldn't worry too much about making a blunder - you are the grandmother and you are an American - I don't think they'll expect you to do everything perfectly the Chinese way.
Also, even if they expect some things, you are the elder and you've already hit the main requirements (fresh cash gift(s) in red envelope, not wearing an unlucky color). It would be very bad manners to criticize the groom's grandmother for any perceived minor lapse or cultural difference.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:10 pm

Wear like you are going to an American wedding will be fine. Don't wear a dress that is too much of your skin. Some cute, elegant dress will work perfectly. You don't have to bring gifts to the wedding since you bring the money(hongbao).
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Hi all I really thank all for the suggestions! We had a fun time at the weddings, two!! One for bridr’s family in her hometown with about 300 guests! There was a dinner the night before with close family. Daughter and I wore long dresses and felt comfortable for the wedding party. Her family was lovely to us, her Mom especially ‘entrusted’ her daughter to me for her move to live in the US. Lots of young cousins knew English and easily translated, but we could also easily see the love from their family. I did feel unusually ‘honored’ as grandmother who traveled long distance to the wedding,
Then we drove to the city where the couple taught and there was another large wedding ceremony for colleagues and students and friends. Wore a shorter deep purple cocktail dress and we had a fun time.

The young couple is settled in Seattle and daughter and I are flying to visit for a few days next week. Much closer than China! But another nice place to visit
Again thanks to all for making this China trip and wedding so pleasant by making us more aware of customs
tcl, Hoyaheel and gigijiji like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.