Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Share your favorite travel "secrets"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share your favorite travel "secrets"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:39 pm

I always, always pack scissors in my checked bag and I have never been on a trip that I haven't used them. A few clothes pins come in handy or those metal document clips. Some ziplock bags are useful if I buy something that may leak in the suitcase and take up no room. A travel candle in one of those tins are nice to have as well.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:22 pm

1. Sheet masks. I use them in lieu of moisturisers. Such a great way to perk up tired and dry skin especially the night after a long flight.

2. Old underwear. I have an issue with throwing out old stuff, so I always bring my old undies; they become disposible and I will just throw them after wearing. Keeps my luggage light so that I can buy more.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freecia
Bring two+ of items you'd be totally hopeless without like
1. USB Chargers
2. Cables
3. Meds (especially if you're used to having American OTC options)
This, however be careful with Meds if you travel overseas. For those who use IEM, pack an extra ear tips or better yet get a spare IEM or headphones.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:07 pm

Great tips ladies!

My must haves:

A pair of thin black tapered sweatpants. They are super comfy and you can still look decently polished when walking around the city when the waistband is covered with a longer top/jacket, and stuffed into a boot. No one can tell you are wearing sweatpants!

Leave-in hair oil or cream scooped into a sample jar. So many hotels have horribly drying hair dryers that turn your hair into straw, or don't provide conditioner.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Although I use liquid make-up remover at home, I pack wipes for travel since it's one less thing that I have to worry about spilling or fitting into my carry-on liquid bag.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:49 pm

My must takes -
*A undergarment security wallet to hold passport, credit cards, cash, etc. I like the ones that fit around my waist as I always were pants or skirts (rather than dresses).

*Light weight silk long johns for nightwear and for layering under pants during the day. (Saved me in Florence one November when weather was unusually cold.) Lots of warmth for little room in carry on.

*Small ripstop nylon bag about the size of a smallish carry on suitcase. I pack it in my carry on for the trip out. Coming home, I fill it with things I won't hate to lose and check it as baggage. (I have bad luck with checked luggage.) My favourite things and presents go in my carry on.

*I'm another fan of taking worn undies and them tossing them during the trip.

*Many hotels don't provide a stopper for the bathroom sink. So I take one. When my yellow kitchen gloves get a hole, I cut 3"-4" diameter piece from the palm. It makes a nice stopper and is discarded before coming home.

*A pair of ballet flats or dressy flat sandals for evenings and restaurants. Also acts as a dry pair of shoes if my primary cushy pair gets wet.

*Extra pair of Rx eyeglasses from ZenniOptical.com

*Liberty of London pima cotton blouses from Tilley Endurables.
Lovely, dries quickly, fine cotton lawn, almost wrinkle free.
https://www.tilley.com/us_en/catalog...ult/?q=liberty

Thanks, gals, for the tip about inexpensive washcloths. They are now on my packing list!
Rubyruby1 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
I use 2"x 3" ziplock pill bags for 3-4 days' worth of shampoo, conditioner, various hair products, etc. They have write-on labels, and are cheap enough to toss on the way home (although I've re-used them as well--they're sturdy). A snack-sized Baggie can hold 4-5 and they're flexible enough to fit around whatever else is in the 3-1-1 bag.

For makeup removal, I heat my usual 50% coconut oil, 50% castor oil blend until liquid, soak a few cotton rounds, and stick them in their own mini-ziplock. I'll still use commercial makeup removal wipes but even the "sensitive skin" ones irritate my eye area, so it's always the oil for eye makeup.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by KBRDU
I use 2"x 3" ziplock pill bags for 3-4 days' worth of shampoo, conditioner, various hair products, etc. They have write-on labels, and are cheap enough to toss on the way home (although I've re-used them as well--they're sturdy). A snack-sized Baggie can hold 4-5 and they're flexible enough to fit around whatever else is in the 3-1-1 bag.

For makeup removal, I heat my usual 50% coconut oil, 50% castor oil blend until liquid, soak a few cotton rounds, and stick them in their own mini-ziplock. I'll still use commercial makeup removal wipes but even the "sensitive skin" ones irritate my eye area, so it's always the oil for eye makeup.
I sometimes take 2 smaller shampoo and 2 smaller conditioners because I find it lighter to dump one of the bottles once I have finished it half way through the trip. Beats lugging a half empty large bottle around.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:05 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Colour-code appliances with coloured electrical tape on the wire by the plug end. Green for home voltage, red for foreign voltage and yellow for dual-voltage.

My mum used to do this during a period when she was traveling frequently as in her jetlagged state she would accidentally fry her hair appliances or kettle by either forgetting to push the switch on dual-voltage items or by just trying to plug in the wrong appliance in the wrong country. The tape by the plug end is always visible when holding the plug to the socket and is a visual reminder to stop and think before actually plugging it in.
copperfield27 and profnot like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Thanks

Originally Posted by tcl
Colour-code appliances with coloured electrical tape on the wire by the plug end. Green for home voltage, red for foreign voltage and yellow for dual-voltage.

My mum used to do this during a period when she was traveling frequently as in her jetlagged state she would accidentally fry her hair appliances or kettle by either forgetting to push the switch on dual-voltage items or by just trying to plug in the wrong appliance in the wrong country. The tape by the plug end is always visible when holding the plug to the socket and is a visual reminder to stop and think before actually plugging it in.

This is a good one
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, NW
I keep my passport, credit cards, and phone in a neck pouch that I wear on the plane. Yes, I'm thinking of emergency evacuations.

Vitamins. I take Vitamin D daily and haven't had the flu for years. The one time I did get the flu was when I was traveling in Asia and hadn't brought any vitamins.

Hand sanitizer in little bottles.

Feminine wipes.

Adhesive bandages. I tend to get chafing on my feet when I wear sandals in hot climates, so large adhesive bandages are a must.

By the way, I love the suggestion about taking old underwear and disposing of it instead of trying to find a coin laundry in places where they are rare and/or outrageously expensive.

I was once caught short in London with only three days left to go on my stay, but I went to a pound shop and bought three pairs for two pounds. They were EXTREMELY flimsy and fell apart after one wearing, but that was all I needed.
Rubyruby1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
ITA. We learned our lesson in Italy, when my husband got a bad case of food poisoning, and, after a couple of days of being unable to be too far from the bathroom, decided it was time for some Pepto or its functional equivalent. Little did we know that trying to figure out what the functional equivalent of OTC meds in foreign drugstores is no easy task, especially when don't speak the local language all that fluently . Since then, we bring our own basic OTC meds, just in case.
I bring my own OTC meds also, but you can also write down the actual name of the med (like Benadryl is Diphenhydramine) and most pharmacists in central and south America and Europe and many parts of the Middle East will recognize these. Never tried china so don't know. Pharmacists are so underrated
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I have recently ordered a bag so that I can throw my cell phone and our passports (I almost always travel with my other half) into it. In the event of a plane evacuation, I am ready to go.

I also carry a washcloth, extra plastic bags, a corkscrew, and a tiny bar of soap for those places which only offer one bar of soap for both the sink and the shower in the bathroom. We take one tiny checked bag between us which carries things like the corkscrew, a small pair of scissors, and conditioner since that's hard to find in man European hotels.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
TP and soap bars

For toilet paper, "just in case" (having encountered this problem decades ago at a very inopportune time), we now save the last part of a regular TP roll. It can be any amount, but something like 1/4 inch of the paper itself seems most convenient. At that point, we replace it with a fresh roll.

Then take the leftover roll (roll-ette? ) and press it flat. Accumulate a bunch of these over time.
They can then go into one ziplock bag, and if you suck the air out, the entire group take up very little room, and they can bend around other things in a suitcase quite easily. And then we take 1-3 or so, in a snack-sized ziplock, and that one goes in the daily carry-on. I usually carry a small Kleenex pack, too, as those are a bit less objectionable for any sneezing needs!

Similarly, we collect the medium or small used soap bars, and put them into a ziplock. One of us *needs* to use the Dove soap bar with no scent/etc. If we are in one place for a longer time, sure, a regular new bar is fine. But for those one night or few night stays, the smaller portions are just right, and we don't need to worry about packing up any wet soap.
[I think our housekeeper must think we are nuts, with our little collection of dregs of soap and TP rolls I think she finally figured it out, including that they were *not* meant to be tossed out!]

We, too, always intend to cross pack, and somehow seem to remember as the packed bags are at the front door. We had best start to remember, or... we *will* be sorry some day.

GC
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Great idea

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
For toilet paper, "just in case" (having encountered this problem decades ago at a very inopportune time), we now save the last part of a regular TP roll. It can be any amount, but something like 1/4 inch of the paper itself seems most convenient. At that point, we replace it with a fresh roll.

Then take the leftover roll (roll-ette? ) and press it flat. Accumulate a bunch of these over time.
They can then go into one ziplock bag, and if you suck the air out, the entire group take up very little room, and they can bend around other things in a suitcase quite easily. And then we take 1-3 or so, in a snack-sized ziplock, and that one goes in the daily carry-on. I usually carry a small Kleenex pack, too, as those are a bit less objectionable for any sneezing needs!

Similarly, we collect the medium or small used soap bars, and put them into a ziplock. One of us *needs* to use the Dove soap bar with no scent/etc. If we are in one place for a longer time, sure, a regular new bar is fine. But for those one night or few night stays, the smaller portions are just right, and we don't need to worry about packing up any wet soap.
[I think our housekeeper must think we are nuts, with our little collection of dregs of soap and TP rolls I think she finally figured it out, including that they were *not* meant to be tossed out!]

We, too, always intend to cross pack, and somehow seem to remember as the packed bags are at the front door. We had best start to remember, or... we *will* be sorry some day.

GC
Great suggestions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.