Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

23, Amsterdam, Alone, & First ever flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

23, Amsterdam, Alone, & First ever flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:04 pm

I don't think anybody has mentioned cellphones yet...:

Make sure you have a cellphone that works in Europe, and that you have roaming enabled. I'm sure your boyfriend will do his utmost NOT to be late, but if he does get stuck in some horrendous traffic jam you want to be able to communicate.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Sharon for those great tips!! Sadly I don't own any type of credit card/debit card. So everything will be cash on me. I'm not going to be carrying all at once and spending it willy nilly at every little thing I see. And I come from a very non-tech family. My mom just wants me to call her on my cell as soon as I land. And I will have my laptop with me and I just so happened to find an adapter for $2 at Walgreens on sale

Sadly he doesn't have a dryer D= But thankfully I'm a Cosmetologist and I have all the tools in many different sizes

Haha if he shows up with flowers that will be very very shocking We haven't seen each other in real life in 6 months and we are just really excited and happy just being able to give each other a hug.

I'll be leaving ATL at 7:45 and arrive in AMS at 10:35 in the morning and I'm going to try my best to keep myself awake for most of the day. Which shouldn't be so hard with all the excitement
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I don't think anybody has mentioned cellphones yet...:

Make sure you have a cellphone that works in Europe, and that you have roaming enabled. I'm sure your boyfriend will do his utmost NOT to be late, but if he does get stuck in some horrendous traffic jam you want to be able to communicate.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you! And yes we have checked with it all and it should all be fine to work there I have no idea what time he plans to leave his house to get to the airport but we will be able to communicate in case of that happening
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:39 am

Just wanted to say that you might want to see if you can grab a credit card just in case, but that would be just me. And 6-digits works on ATMs actually. I have a Singaporean card and it is 6-digits; managed to withdraw quite a bit when I was in Amsterdam.

The biggest tip I have is to set your clock for local time at your destination before you get on the plane. Adjust your sleeping hours on the plane based on the local time so you'll land feeling relatively sane.

Have fun! I had a lot of fun in Amsterdam alone last December

p/s: On airplane toilets, it is simply a lever you pull from left/right to lock/unlock the door. The main light comes on once you lock it on the inside, and it's easy to see so don't worry about that.

You might want to arrive a little earlier to get your bearings at the airport. Check in (if not online) and head through immigrations early so you can locate your gate. There would definitely be people around whom you can ask so don't worry! When you arrive, head to the arrivals gate (Amsterdam airport has plenty of signage so no worries) or just follow fellow passengers.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Hi! As a lady who travels alone all over Europe, I can say that you will be very surprised at how easy it all is. Most airport signs are in English and/or are pictures that are easily understood.

First, I would definitey have $50 or so in Euros (you might want a coffee if your friend is late or need to buy a snack) and put the rest on a couple of different travel cards such as Bluebird card so that you pay minimal fees. Then you can getmore cash as you need it much less expensively than if you get here in the U.S. or at a bank (don't use exchange "shops" that are all over Amsterdam as they give you a bad rate and charge a high fee) in the Netherlands.

Remember that using your American sim card in your cell phone to call from the Netherlands to other phones in the Netherlands or to the US will be very expensive. If your phone is unlocked (meaning you can take out your US sim card and put in another - many are), then consider getting a pre-paid sim once you are there. I'm sure your friend will know where to do this. I save a fortune by getting one of these. Then call your family and let them know your temporary number. Don't forget to change back to your US sim when you return!

At Hartsfield - please do arrive early and have plenty of time to check in, have a look around and get through security. When you approach the security check point, have your laptop and toiletries ziploc ready to put into one of the bins, watch others ahead of you to see if they put their shoes in (some airports seem to not care about shoes), wear slip on shoes if you can as they are so much easier. You will need to take off your coat, any cardigan type clothing, etc. and put them into a bit. All metal jewelry except small earrings will need to go into your bag. (I usually just leave them in my purse from home to through security and that way I don't lose them somewhere or forget at security to remove them) Also, be sure you have placed your boarding pass and passport securely back into your purse or carry on bag before you put them on the conveyor belt. You will have to show both to get into the security line so do it after you are through. No one will care if you stand back for a couple of minutes and watch what the others are doing. After years of traveling all over the world, I often still do this if I am not sure of the procedures and customs.

Once you are through security, look for a departures board (big TV screens) and find your flight and the gate number. The desk where you checked in may have told you this Time yourself getting to your gate so you know how much time you need should you decide to return to a shop or snack bar, etc. Be at your gate 45 minutes before take off and listen carefully or ask at the desk about how they will be boarding - some airlines board starting at the rear so the higher row numbers will board first - well, after families with small children and others who need help and the various first class passengers, etc. Then be ready to board (boarding pass out along with your passport to show at the desk just at the door to the plane). You'll go down the jetway (the long hall sort of thing) to the plane and the cabin crew will tell you which way to head to find your seat. The row numbers are on the overhead bins with A being to the left as you face the back of the plane. Some planes have two aisles so you will have seat A & B and maybe C on the right of the right hand aisle, three or four seats in the middle and then the last seats alphabetically on the left of the left hand aisle. Just look up at the row numbers and the seats under that overhead bin will be listed.

When you get to your row, put your coat and anything you don't need a lot during the flight in the overhead bin. Usually rolling cases are put in wheels first and you put your coat etc. on top of your rolling case if possible or beside it if not. You can put your handbag under the seat in front of you and try to have the things you will need in flight in your handbag as it can be a pain to try to get stuff out of the bag in the overhead bin. There's a pocket in the seat back in front of yoru seat where you can put your book, etc.

Not knowing the type of aircraft or airline, it's impossible to tell you how the recline or other features will work but, again, you can observe others or ask a member of cabin crew. If you feel silly, you can simply say something like "I've never flown on this type of aircraft, could you please show me.....how to recline the seat, turn on the reading light?" whatever. It won't be a lie!

The crew will be more than happy to help you any time they can. Remember they have to get meals out, etc. so try to walk to the kitchen (called a galley) area to ask your question or ask for help. Ringing the call button is better left for urgent problems.

Under the overhead bins on most aircraft, there are lights that show the seat belt (oh, they do up by putting the flat section into the other section with the little flip part upwards - to undo it, just lift the little flat part - also, there are pamphelts in the seat pocket that explain this) and when it is lit, you must stay in your seat. Also, it is best to keep your seat belt loosely done up all the time and a bit tighter for take off and landing.

The statistics for getting across the Atlantic safely in an aircraft are phenomenal! In fact, you are far more likely to be killed or injured driving or as a passenger than in an aircraft crossing the Atlantic! Just tell yourself that when nerves start to raise their ugly head! There is a very gentle sleep aid called melatonin that won't leave you with a hangover. You might try some a night or two before you leave to be sure you are okay with it. Cost is usually dirt cheap. It takes about an hour usually to help one get to sleep so I would take it when dinner is served on the plane. Don't drink alcohol as it is dehydrating and the effects are very different in the air for some people! Do drink lots of water to keep from dehydrating (airplane air is very, very dry - if you wear contacts, do some internet research on how to keep your eyes moist).

When you arrive at Schipol, watch for the "All other passports" line at immigration. You will get off the plane and head for immigration first. There will be lines for EEOC passengers, etc. but you can't use those. You will see a nmber staff around that you can ask if you feel confused - even those of us who travel a lot sometimes have to ask at new airports! Just show them your passport and ask which line to use. When you are in the line, you cannot use your cell phone, etc. so just people watch and move up as possible. Sometimes the lines are really long (an hour or more) and sometimes you can get through in just a few minutes. When you get to the passport control window, they may ask you questions. Have your confirmed reservation back to the US handy to show them. I used to put it in my passport so they had it anyway. Also, have the address of your friend's house ready for them (just write it on a piece of paper and put it in your passport). They may ask you questions such as your purpose for entering the Netherlands and just answer honestly and briefly. They may seem to be looking something up in a computer - they are but don't worry unless you know you have a horrible criminal record!

After passport control you will see signs for baggage claim (oh, listen to the announcements before landing to see if they say which carousel the bags will be on - if not, then you will see TVs probably (wish I could remember for Schipol) with your flight number and a carousel number). At baggage claim, just stand at the carousel and watch for your bag to come around. I use some large, bright colored tags on the handle of my bag (try Walmart) so that I can spot it easily on the carousel.

Once you have all your belongings, you will need to look around for a sign to customs. Assuming you aren't bringing in lots of liquor or cigarettes or perfumes, you can go through the green "nothing to declare" line. Once you pass the customs officers (they may stop you due to your age and search for drugs so don't have anything you should declare or that is illegal), you will go out to the public area of the arrivals building where your friend should be waiting.

If you can, set up a meeting place with him in case he is delayed getting to the airport. That way you can go to get something to drink and/or eat. Also, set up an emergency plan - have him give you the name of someone you can contact just in case he is suddenly taken ill or some such. Go on the internet and write down the telephone number of the US Embassy so you can contact them if you need to for help.

Remember, many young people hop on a plane for the first time and head to a foreign country every year and they all seem to do just fine!!!!

I hope there are some little bits here to help you feel more familiar - take a look on the internet for the seat map of your plane (your airline website will have one) so you can see how it is laid out. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kileysmom

After passport control you will see signs for baggage claim (oh, listen to the announcements before landing to see if they say which carousel the bags will be on - if not, then you will see TVs probably (wish I could remember for Schipol) with your flight number and a carousel number). At baggage claim, just stand at the carousel and watch for your bag to come around. I use some large, bright colored tags on the handle of my bag (try Walmart) so that I can spot it easily on the carousel.
Schiphol has TV screens in the baggage claim area, so just look for your flight # & it will have the carousel # next to it. Also, the baggage carts are free to use so if your luggage is heavy then just grab one of the carts & put it on that.

kileysmom gave a lot of other good advice.

Enjoy your trip & report back when you return & let us know how it went!

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Thanks Kileysmom...concerned Dad sending his twin 15year olds to Italy and I am going to cut and paste that great post for them, if you havent (c) it...

.how to recline the seat,
One comment - as a frequent traveller I come from the "In Economy, I never recline my seat" school. The pitch on economy seats is so small I think polite people dont do this.

On a long night flight (like your AMS flight) I will turn around, and ask the person behind if they are sleeping, and if I may recline. The minute I wake up or detect that they are up, I return the seat to upright.

Please consider.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xooz
Not far from Efteling is s-Hertogenbosch, which was a good stop. They have canal tours that are interesting as the canals go underground and under the buildings and an good number of cafes etc. I enjoyed the Hieronymous Bosch "museum", since I like his paintings. There are actually not many/any of his original paintings there, but all his works have been reproduced and are there for viewing.
This is a great suggestion; it's a lovely and interesting historic town. It's also conveniently located on a major train line, so access is easy.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Thanks Kileysmom...concerned Dad sending his twin 15year olds to Italy and I am going to cut and paste that great post for them, if you havent (c) it...

One comment - as a frequent traveller I come from the "In Economy, I never recline my seat" school. The pitch on economy seats is so small I think polite people dont do this.

On a long night flight (like your AMS flight) I will turn around, and ask the person behind if they are sleeping, and if I may recline. The minute I wake up or detect that they are up, I return the seat to upright.

Please consider.
Thanks! If it will help, please feel free to copy it, publish it or anything else! I had a son who traveled alone so truly understand the parental jitters! Your comments about reclining the seat are fair. Seats are so close now that it is polite to at least see if it would be a problem for the person behind you - sometimes they are trying to work, etc. Certainly do not even think about it during meal service! I thank my lucky stars regularly now as I don't have to fly in economy any more.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor

Please consider.
There's a time and a place for everything, and when the meal service is over and lights are dimmed is a time when you are free to recline in the effort to get what sleep you can.

If someone is, as you say, trying to work in those circumstances it is they who are being inconsiderate of their fellow pax who deserve the chance to rest on an overnight flight. One person keeping the overhead light on can prevent quite a few folk from getting to sleep.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: AADULtArer
If someone is, as you say, trying to work in those circumstances it is they who are being inconsiderate of their fellow pax who deserve the chance to rest on an overnight flight
Agreed. For the OP, its all just about being considerate to others on both the recline and the light issue!

I dont see how anyone can work day or night in economy on a laptop anyway.....

The difference between a plane and a bus in terms of consideration is that there will be people from all over the world, on different time zones, some jet lagged, some fresh, some going to work,some going to funerals....so be respectful of that. It is sort of expected that you will keep to yourself, and engage in conversation on invitation only. You will have to gauge as to if the person is being polite or wants to talk (softly of course)....

one thing definitely to avoid - standing up and yelling to your newly met companion three rows back .....
"Hey Joe, is your seat comfortable?"

(I couldnt make this up, happened to me on MSP - ALB run last week, in FC)

kileysmom - thanks again.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL Gold, SPG PLT
Efteling is great. Definitely no Disneyland but they now have a World of Color inspired water show with the help of the original imagineers. Enjoy! You'll be fine in the NL.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:20 pm

I wonder if she's home yet and how her trip went!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by iwearskirts
I am a 23 year old lady taking her first major trip out of country and alone next week. This will also be my first flight. Not first international flight but first time ever being anywhere near a plane.
Well, good for you! It's time to see the world and Amsterdam is a great embarking point.

I'll be leaving out of the ATL Hartsfield International airport. I've heard that's it's very crazy and large and annoying. This is intimidating, yes, but nothing I'm stressing over. I'm mostly worried about finding my gate and what to expect and what to do.
First off, take a deep breath. There is signage. Find out which terminal your flight is departing and get dropped off there. Then just read the signs.

If you can travel with just a carry-on pullman bag instead of checking in luggage, that will be easier for you especially when you arrive at Schiphol. You're staying with your boyfriend. You can always do laundry. I've travelled for 3 weeks in one carry-on bag.

I'm not concerned with security. I know the liquids rule, about laptops, etc etc etc....
Then you're home free.

If anything I think I will be able to make it through the ATL airport better than the Schipol airport. For some reason it scares me because I'll be out of my element. I always rely on a parent or older sister to do everything for me with travel.
You're 23; you're an adult. You can do it! Schiphol has one of the largest offerings of duty free stores! When you return to ATL, you can have a BLAST shopping at Schiphol first! Seriously, that's what makes Schiphol such a great airport. The train goes right there too. There is PLENTY of English signage. Everybody speaks English so it's so easy and everybody is so friendly. Again, you've picked a GREAT destination for your first flight. That your boyfriend lives there too is for you the greatest.

Also, I am terrified of the plane ride, period. I am scared of heights and flying over the deep, cold, dark ocean with no one to talk to for me to be calm is freaking me out. I am sitting on the aisle seat so I can get up and down as I please without disturbing someone.
Glad you have the aisle. You might be sitting near someone who loves to chat so it might not be as quiet as you think. As for your being terrified, are you sure you want to do this? They're not going to turn back unless there is an emergency. Do you want to take some kind of a sleeping pill in order to handle this? What are you planning to do to deal with your very real fears of height and flying over the ocean? I don't think anybody here can give you real advice if your fears are that severe.

Sadly I don't own any type of credit card/debit card. So everything will be cash on me. I'm not going to be carrying all at once and spending it willy nilly at every little thing I see.
Do not carry wads of cash. If there is no time for you to apply for and get a credit card, buy travelers' checks. Write down their numbers and keep them someplace other than in your wallet. Cash can get lost. If travelers' checks are lost, you can get them replaced. This off-tangent, but you say "sadly" you don't own credit cards. If you want a card, apply to get one. You can do it from your own bank.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by iwearskirts
I'm still nervous about flying. I think I'm more scared of getting lost and then ultimately being in the air.
1) Go the airport website and print out a map or maps. Carry them with you.
2) As was said above, get to the airport early, 2 1/2-3 hrs before flight time.
3) Don't be afraid to ask directions. Ask when you check in at the counter. Ask when you go through security. Ask wherever you are. People will be happy to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.