Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Manhattan - shopping for dresses, where to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manhattan - shopping for dresses, where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
You can shop almost anywhere here in the city. If you prefer the kind of stores you have at home, there are department stores like Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks and JC Penney. Forget Burgdorff Goodman...even when there is a sale. Then there is Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Talbot's, smaller mall type stores scattered through Manhattan. Ralph Lauren is on Madison and 72nd.
Ah, no, I can't shop almost anywhere, because what I'm looking for isn't in the average store. I want a dress for a woman, not a teeny-bopper with an Audrey Hepburn body. No spaghetti straps, no cleavage to the waist, no thigh high hems - there goes Macy's. Bloomingdale's does matrons and models, not average women. In Manhattan I was hoping to find a more original selection that mass market chains. The Century 21 store sounds the most promising so far.

If you like Nordstrom but want to save money, there is a Nordstrom Rack on 14th Street at Union Square.
Nordstrom's Rack makes my skin crawl. Every one I've been in, maybe a dozen or so in different parts of the country, is dirty, disorganized and full of shoddy junk - Marshall's with attitude is what I call it.

If you're looking for something trendy, browse the stores in SoHo on Prince Street.
See post #6. Original yes, trendy, no.

p.s. anybody else remember Lanz dress shops? another favorite long gone
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Ah, no, I can't shop almost anywhere, because what I'm looking for isn't in the average store. I want a dress for a woman, not a teeny-bopper with an Audrey Hepburn body. No spaghetti straps, no cleavage to the waist, no thigh high hems - there goes Macy's. Bloomingdale's does matrons and models, not average women. In Manhattan I was hoping to find a more original selection that mass market chains. The Century 21 store sounds the most promising so far.
I'm 42 and not Audrey Hepburn like. Yes, you can shop almost anywhere in Manhattan—trust me! ^

Nordstrom's Rack makes my skin crawl. Every one I've been in, maybe a dozen or so in different parts of the country, is dirty, disorganized and full of shoddy junk - Marshall's with attitude is what I call it.
Then avoid Daffy's, Strawberry, and Century 21. Your skin crawls rather easily. I've never found NR at Union Square to be dirty. At the end of the day it can be disorganized as people rummage through everything but so are other big stores discount or not at the end of the day--Bloomies and Macy's in particular.

You ask for normal, everyday clothing and yet you then turn your nose up in the air when suggestions from a local are given to you. Yes one can shop most anywhere but maybe you can't. Good luck in New York. ^

Last edited by Analise; Jan 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 16, 2012, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Amongst the best cities in the US for dress shopping: Miami. Some seem to have an easier time of finding good selections there than in New York. At least some of the stuff that I like better seems to be picked up down there than in more northern locales.

The Nordstrom Rack store at Union Square South is amongst the most well-maintained, organized discount stores I've ever come across anywhere -- better than most outlet stores of even the premium brand variety -- the selection however is ordinarily rather dull for my tastes.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GfL
Bloomingdale's does matrons and models, not average women.
I am neither matron nor model--44, 5'2", size 2/4-- and I have done quite well at Bloomingdales. You may be surprised by the size and scope of the dress department at the Manhattan store. I am anti-spaghetti straps myself, nor do I wear super short skirts, nor do I attempt to dress like a 20-year-old. And yet I found both of the dresses that I wore to the most recent weddings I attended at Bloomingdales (and on sale, too!)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I actually just bought a dress at Macy's and was impressed with the selection. This was a dress for work - so no spaghetti straps or high slits. I'm most definitely a curvy woman - 5'10" 36DDD size 12-16 depending on the designer.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I am neither matron nor model--44, 5'2", size 2/4-- and I have done quite well at Bloomingdales. You may be surprised by the size and scope of the dress department at the Manhattan store. I am anti-spaghetti straps myself, nor do I wear super short skirts, nor do I attempt to dress like a 20-year-old. And yet I found both of the dresses that I wore to the most recent weddings I attended at Bloomingdales (and on sale, too!)
O.k. I'll rephrase my comment on Bloomingdales.

The Bloomingdale's stores that I have been in have had no dresses that I personally would wear. Haven't been in the one in NYC, hate the one at Stanford Shopping Center, have not seen much in the one in Willow Grove that I would wear, although they do have some nice china there.

BTW, IMHO, anybody who wears a size 2/4 at the age of 44 does qualify for model status!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GfL
O.k. I'll rephrase my comment on Bloomingdales.

The Bloomingdale's stores that I have been in have had no dresses that I personally would wear. Haven't been in the one in NYC
Give it a try. It is MUCH larger and more varied than regular mall stores.
BTW, IMHO, anybody who wears a size 2/4 at the age of 44 does qualify for model status!
Not when you're 5'2"!!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:56 am

This won't help you with your NYC trip, but have you checked the Eddie Bauer catalog? Most of their stuff is pretty modest and not meant for a teenager.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Buster
I personally haven't shopped at Boden, but I have a friend who swears by their stuff. I get the catalog and they always have lots of cute dresses that sound like they meet your needs...
Boden is a particular fit. Also quality varies a lot from model to model. Beware check all your refunds come through - one of mine didn't this year so far as I can tell and lsst year one I'd forgotten about came through after 4 months.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
Another recommendation for Lord & Taylor & Nordstrom Rack. I am a "dress girl" due to travel. Easy to pack and for China- easy for the restroom option- or lack of !
I buy alot of Michael Michael Kors dresses. Great styles, coverage and many washable. Lord & Taylor has great markdowns + lately always a coupon.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, Priority Club
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Check out Shabby Apple online.
I don't care for Shabby Apple's return policy. "All SALE items are final sale and may not be returned or exchanged. " That means unless something is full price, and I hate paying full price, there will be no return. I can't take that kind of gamble ordering something online like a dress that may or may not fit and flatter.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Boden is a particular fit. Also quality varies a lot from model to model. Beware check all your refunds come through - one of mine didn't this year so far as I can tell and lsst year one I'd forgotten about came through after 4 months.
How would you characterize Boden's fit? I keep looking at their stuff, but haven't bitten yet.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Katja
How would you characterize Boden's fit? I keep looking at their stuff, but haven't bitten yet.
Judging by my friends who like the brand, very little room for hips or boobs.....But like you - I haven't bought anything.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bebedeer
I don't care for Shabby Apple's return policy. "All SALE items are final sale and may not be returned or exchanged. " That means unless something is full price, and I hate paying full price, there will be no return. I can't take that kind of gamble ordering something online like a dress that may or may not fit and flatter.
Glad you mentioned that, as I hadn't noticed that policy. Rules like that make me unwilling to try a new company because it so hard to guess how things will fit until you can try a few on.

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Originally Posted by Katja
Judging by my friends who like the brand, very little room for hips or boobs.....But like you - I haven't bought anything. .
Another good thing to know, as the slyph style doesn't work for me!

I appreciate all the suggestions and helpful feedback on various options from this community.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Judging by my friends who like the brand, very little room for hips or boobs.....But like you - I haven't bought anything.
I struggle with some of the Boden stuff fitting across the chest - I'm a 36D so not huge, but my brother's girlfriend, who is probably closer to a 32/34 B loves their stuff and looks great in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.