Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What to wear between room and hotel pool?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to wear between room and hotel pool?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
No shorts? No flip flops?
Alas, no...lots of pencil skirts, though :-).

Thanks, everyone, for your great suggestions!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:24 pm

To the pool: shorts or yoga pants, t-shirt, Deckers sandals

From the pool: a collection of hotel towels, because dripping wet*, you're not fooling anybody about your outfit + Deckers sandals, and I carry my clothes because I can't stand the smell of the chlorine on my clothes and don't dress until I shower.

*my hair comes midway down my back now, so it takes more than a quick toweling to get it presentable
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The other option - wear something which is already dirty, so doesn't matter if it gets wet. If you are worried about chlorine rinse as soon as you get to your room, that amount of exposure to chlorine cannot possibly have an effect.

That said, I also carry an all purpose sarong - it's a very light cotton, got it 15 years ago in Bali, and it's been everywhere with me. It's my emergency robe when hotel staff try to enter the room (not always a robe or a robe which fits), it's my towel, it's my beach mat, it's my cover up, temple skirt etc....

Don't always use it, but if nothing else, at the end of the trip, I use that as the layer between where my dirty clothes stop and my clean clothes start for unpacking at the other end.

If you are worried about wearing a robe in public, then I think the best way to cure that is a long weekend at Stobo Castle Spa, where a robe is derigeur during the day http://www.stobocastle.co.uk/ You'll get to eat lunch in a room full of other guests also all in robes. It is odd. But it's a fabulous spa as well
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
If you are worried about wearing a robe in public, then I think the best way to cure that is a long weekend at Stobo Castle Spa, where a robe is derigeur during the day http://www.stobocastle.co.uk/ You'll get to eat lunch in a room full of other guests also all in robes. It is odd. But it's a fabulous spa as well
Sounds like a plan - I'll get right on that! :-)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
The other option - wear something which is already dirty, so doesn't matter if it gets wet. If you are worried about chlorine rinse as soon as you get to your room, that amount of exposure to chlorine cannot possibly have an effect.
Not sure what type of "effect" you mean, but it takes more than a sink rinse to get the smell of pool chlorine out of the natural fibers that I wear.

As for wearing something "already dirty" to the pool, well, ick. Then there's the thought of putting something dirty, wet and chlorine scented in my luggage with the rest of my clothes - double ick.

I guess there are many different ways to think about clothing, aren't there?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:43 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Peshtemal - Turkish cotton towel

I was just going through my closet and noticed my old peshtemal. It's a large cotton towel that's woven instead of looped-terry like traditional towels. It's thin, lightweight and very absorbent. It's like a very high-end kitchen towel but huge. My old towel is some sort of off white colour but they now have them in bright colours and different weaves (and weights) and can be used as a travel towel, a nice coverup or as a summer shawl. It's a much more understated look than a bright rayon sarong. Think of them as the towel version of pashminas

The best thing is that these don't lint after the first few washes.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:35 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I have a couple of dresses similar to this

http://www.overstock.com/Worldstock-...tml?rcmndsrc=2

that I use as beach/pool coverups
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I just got back from a trip, and I used the hotel bathrobe to go to and from the pool.

It wasn't a huge hotel, and I never ran into anyone in either the hall or elevator on the way. I probably would have felt more self-conscious if it had been a huge hotel where I constantly was running into other people, or if it had had glass elevators...

I love it when hotels have a separate elevator that only goes to the spa/pool/fitness center. It's such a great idea, because then you only run into other people in similar states of undress.

I always pack flip-flops when I know I'm going someplace with a pool. I buy the cheap ones for Old Navy (usually on sale, 2 for $5).
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:39 pm

There is a need for travel robes made out of that quick dry material used for travel/camping towels. At least knee length styled more like a beach coverup than a bathrobe with three quarter sleeves and good pockets in basic black.

If there will be no hotel bathrobe, I now bring my waffle weave spa robe. In summer, I will have my sarong, too, and if the trip is long enough I'll also bring yoga pants or capris and loose tee for "room clothes" to change into. If the way to the pool is not too public, or it is a casual place anyway, no qualms about the spa robe or sarong. If I had to cross the lobby of a big city business or luxury hotel, I'd wear my yoga pants and tee with my trusty black Crocs Malindi ballet slingbacks. Don't like to dress for the day first thing so I'll pull on that same outfit to go down for breakfast.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United
Red face clothes

Us guys know when you're walking around with a bikini underneath.

If you don't want us knowing, wear normal clothes.

If you don't mind us knowing, wear a towel or something.

You're going to the pool anyway, we're gonna see you
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by DavenM
Us guys know when you're walking around with a bikini underneath.

If you don't want us knowing, wear normal clothes.

If you don't mind us knowing, wear a towel or something.

You're going to the pool anyway, we're gonna see you
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Women's Forum, DavenM!
And thanks for the best post of the day. LOL.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Sarong
http://theplanetd.com/the-many-uses-...simple-sarong/
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:57 pm

If I don't have yoga pants and a tee shirt, I wear my raincoat. People smiled when they saw me, plus I could pretend to be a flasher.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by sushanna1
If I don't have yoga pants and a tee shirt, I wear my raincoat. People smiled when they saw me, plus I could pretend to be a flasher.
Love it!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Many (better) hotels have explicit policies against wearing robes in the common areas. I've seen them enforced.

Regardless, unless I'm staying specifically at spa, count me among those who don't care to walk through those areas in a robe. Probably my upbringing, but always strikes me as tacky.

I always carry one or two lightweight, quick-drying loungers or sundress-type garments, which do triple-duty as a nighty and housedress (to wear in lieu of hotel robes, which are usually too huge and bulky for me to wear comfortably). They can be washed out quickly in the morning and are ready to go by nighttime.

And I never go anywhere without some kind of lightweight sandal or flipflop. Never. Even when living out of a carryon.

If you're not finding a garment that works for you, try looking in the sleepwear department, especially at less expensive stores like Target or Kohl's where they're more likely to have something in a lightweight synthetic fabric. You'd be surprised what's available these days to easily pass as a sundress. Added benefit of synthetic fabric is less likely to fade from chlorine.

ETA: Sarongs are great too. I use a very long, wide one that can be wrapped around my chest like a strapless dress.

~mrs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.