Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time of the Month

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Time of the Month

I'm a little surprised no one has started a thread about menstrual cups. I've met many women while traveling that would never go without said item.

Benefits of traveling with the cup:
-you don't have to pack feminine napkins/tampons
-you don't have to worry if the local area has your favorite products
-you can leave it in for 12 hours (makes for easier travel on long hauls)
-you don't have to worry about disposing dirty items (especially in areas that may not have trash cans readily available)
-less waste for everyone to deal with
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: DL, AA
It's not specifically about the cups, but they are one option mentioned in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...suspicion.html
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:56 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yksmirk
while traveling that would never go without said item.
^+1 - totally in that camp.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marr Plat, Natl Elite, AMEX Plat, AA PP
Those are a great and convenient item, plus you only have to travel with one! It does kind of make me want to wear it for my next full body NudeOScope, just to see if they pull me aside for further questioning. "Pardon me ma'am, it seems to me, you have a shot glass in your hoo-ha! You mind 'splaining that?"
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've never heard of them. Are they comfortable? If you're only going to bring one, you're going to disinfect it after each use I assume thus you've got to bring disinfectant liquids. We can't bring liquids over 3 ounces assuming you don't check in bags. Or is the disinfectant some kind of powder you in which you add water and put into a glass?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:43 pm

You clean it with soap and water, available in most fine hotels.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Katja
You clean it with soap and water, available in most fine hotels.
Yes I would think so!

So how comfortable is it?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Yes I would think so!

So how comfortable is it?
Very - it can take a little getting used to, including a bit of gross out factor for some, but stick with it for a few months and you'll never go back.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GloverParker
Very - it can take a little getting used to, including a bit of gross out factor for some, but stick with it for a few months and you'll never go back.
It does take a couple months to get used to and figure out what works best for you. I would always just clean mine out in the shower and ignore it for the rest of the day. I found the gross factor to be a lot less than tampons.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:50 am

I looked into this a while ago, and saw an FAQ for one maker that said that you needed to use their special wash for it, and you had to boil it every month. That seemed to be too much effort, and certainly not practical for travel. Is this what everyone else is doing?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
I looked into this a while ago, and saw an FAQ for one maker that said that you needed to use their special wash for it, and you had to boil it every month. That seemed to be too much effort, and certainly not practical for travel. Is this what everyone else is doing?
They're basically just trying to sell you their wash -- any decent soap will do. And boiling it once a month is pretty straightforward - just boil for 20 minutes or so. You can do it whenever and it's really not a hassle at all.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
How much of a disinfectant is soap and water if the water isn't boiled? Would I want to stick that thing back inside of me unless I knew it were completely sterile? No way. That's the convenience of a tampon. Each one you open is sterile. Get the super-plus or the ultra (playtex brand, in this case) and those things last even on your heaviest day between normal trips to the bathroom.

I would think boiling would be a necessity for those who use them. But I'm still curious about these cups.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:29 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
How much of a disinfectant is soap and water if the water isn't boiled? Would I want to stick that thing back inside of me unless I knew it were completely sterile? No way. That's the convenience of a tampon. Each one you open is sterile. Get the super-plus or the ultra (playtex brand, in this case) and those things last even on your heaviest day between normal trips to the bathroom.

I would think boiling would be a necessity for those who use them. But I'm still curious about these cups.
I would imagine it you're boiling it between times of the month and keeping it in a sterile container. Then during your time of the month, its either inside you, or being washed with soap and water (in the shower), and then put right back inside you. Unless your , um ...inside... is in need of disinfecting, I don't see what kind of disinfecting the cup will need during its few days of use.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 6:35 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I would imagine it you're boiling it between times of the month and keeping it in a sterile container. Then during your time of the month, its either inside you, or being washed with soap and water (in the shower), and then put right back inside you. Unless your , um ...inside... is in need of disinfecting, I don't see what kind of disinfecting the cup will need during its few days of use.
Exactly. Boil when discolored. Replace once a year or so.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:04 pm

Get the super-plus or the ultra (playtex brand, in this case) and those things last even on your heaviest day between normal trips to the bathroom.
Sadly not true for some of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.