Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Are we harming our hair with the amenities with love?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are we harming our hair with the amenities with love?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:29 pm

Sodium itself is merely a bystander in aqueous chemistry. So sodium chloride, if it's in a water soluble product, will rinse completely out of your hair. As far as I know, there is no mechanism for sodium chloride to change your hair color, salon treated or not. In fact, salt is sometimes used to set dyes in textiles and fabric.

So, in answer to Analise's question: sodium chloride (table salt) and sodium laureth sulfate should be safe for highlighted hair. I love my hairstylist, but I've had some amiable arguments about hair care products with her.

The field of shampoos and conditioners is actually a rather boring one. They all have virtually the same ingredients.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I was told to use Global Shampoo and conditioner after my Keratin straightening & conditioning treatment. Seems fine. No sodium chloride.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This was in today's news and is food for thought for those who want to get the Brazilian keratin treatments. Wearing ventilators because of toxic fumes? Check out the picture in today's NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/fa..._r=1&ref=style

A Safety Kink in Hair Relaxing?

As more women began clamoring for the latest sensation in hair care, the so-called Brazilian hair-relaxing treatments, the Neil George Salon in Beverly Hills, Calif., added a cabana with open sides and a fabric roof to isolate the process from the salon itself. “I couldn’t stand the fumes,” said Neil Weisberg, an owner.

Mark Garrison, the owner of a salon on the Upper East Side of Manhattan that bears his name, set aside a floor for the treatment, equipped it with special ventilators and began providing industrial-strength respirators to his clients and stylists. And a West Hollywood salon, John Frieda, relegated its straightening treatments to an open-air courtyard.

Just like the permanents that were once the height of fashion, the lucrative process of converting frizzy or kinky hair into smooth locks produces unpleasant odors. But is it dangerous, especially to the operators who apply the product repeatedly?

Last month, the beauty world was rattled when the occupational health agency in Oregon found significant levels of formaldehyde in the hair-smoothing solution sold under the name Brazilian Blowout. (A common ingredient found in many products, formaldehyde is a recognized carcinogen if it is present at high levels.) The agency said it had conducted lab tests after receiving numerous complaints from stylists citing nosebleeds, breathing problems and eye irritation after applying the product. Last Friday, Oregon authorities broadened their warning to include other hair-smoothing products, particularly those described as “keratin-based,” and said employers should take steps to protect their workers....
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by try2cook
(BTW, sodium LAURETH sulfate is fine.)
I just checked my bottle of Kerastase - the Bain Miroir line, for "Very Sensitised Colour-Treated Hair" - and the second product in the ingredient list is Sodium Laureth Sulfate. I read through this thread three times before determining whether or not to flush it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:27 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Analise
This was in today's news and is food for thought for those who want to get the Brazilian keratin treatments. Wearing ventilators because of toxic fumes? Check out the picture in today's NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/fa..._r=1&ref=style
Really interesting story. I was assured the product used was formaldehyde-free, but now I wonder. I wonder how much it would be to have the product tested.

After testing several hair-relaxing treatments, Neil Spingarn, the president of S & N Labs of Santa Monica, Calif., found significant levels of formaldehyde, according to documents provided by a hairdresser. Though Mr. Spingarn declined to discuss those reports, he said that salons and clients seldom know what is in the products they use. “We expect that somebody somewhere is checking everything, but that expectation is false,” he said.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by try2cook
As far as I know, there is no mechanism for sodium chloride to change your hair color, salon treated or not. In fact, salt is sometimes used to set dyes in textiles and fabric.

So, in answer to Analise's question: sodium chloride (table salt) and sodium laureth sulfate should be safe for highlighted hair. I love my hairstylist, but I've had some amiable arguments about hair care products with her.
I guess what I'm a bit skeptical about is that when I have spilled red wine on fabric, salt lifts the wine stain out amazingly well. It seems it would be easy to conclude then that salt would lift color out of my hair. Wrong conclusion?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I just had the Brazilian keratin treatment done by my stylist using a new formaldehyde free formula from Cadiveu. Here's my experience:

During actual application, the product has no chemical smell, just a pleasant perfumy scent.

This all changes once heat comes into play. Applying the hairdryer and flat iron results in clouds of acrid smoke which are extremely irritating to the eyes and throat. Mine felt very off after we were done. My stylist confirmed that it was nowhere as bad as the old keratin treatments like the Brazilian Blowout, but that it definitely bothered her if she got a face full of it.

The actual results are nothing short of stunning on my hair. I have a bit of wave and a fair bit of frizz in my very thick, very long hair. It came out looking like the pictures on the Cadiveu site - sleek, super smooth, and not a bit of frizz to be seen. Time will tell if it lasts, though I did pick up their product line as a safeguard to prolong the style - I travel too much to bother running around trying to find the "right" shampoo and conditioner right now, so it was worth the $$$.

Speaking of $$$, wow. I almost had heart palpitations in the salon. The standard treatment uses 1.5-2 oz of product and takes 90 minutes. Due to just how much hair I have, it took 3-4x the amount of product, and 4 full hours start to finish, with a junior stylist helping out on some parts. The tip ran as high as most salons charge for the service on short hair :P

Was it worth it? Right now I'd say yes. My hair is perfect, gorgeous, shiny, straight, and amazingly mobile, falling perfectly to just past my waist, and it was achieved using finger blowdrying after the final rinse, and no major brush work. If it stays like this for the promised 3-4 months I will have no problem plunking down another obscene amount of cash when the time comes.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Silver, WN A-List+, SPG Platinum
Unhappy Wow - Not a fair comment to make

Originally Posted by peachfront
If you just keep in mind that the nice people who are doing your hair are the same nice people who failed high school chemistry class and ultimately didn't make it in college, you'll avoid worrying about "stuff" like this.
That's an insensitive blanket statement that is offensive to hairdressers. My stylist graduated from Stanford but found her love working with people and styling hair.

You shouldn't judge someone's character or intelligence just because they take a path that's different than yours.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:03 pm

I read about all of you using hair straighteners and I would kill for curly hair. Not only is it beautiful, it also hides a multitude of sins. You don't need to get it colored as often since it isn't that obvious. If you overslept and don't have time to wash it, no one notices. Yep, I'd love curly hair.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b1513
I read about all of you using hair straighteners and I would kill for curly hair. Not only is it beautiful, it also hides a multitude of sins. You don't need to get it colored as often since it isn't that obvious. If you overslept and don't have time to wash it, no one notices. Yep, I'd love curly hair.
It's just the opposite for me - when I wear my hair curly I have to wash it daily since it's a disaster when I get out of bed. When I get my hair straightened I still have the option to wear it curly.

phedre: I was assured the product in my hair also did not have formaldehyde, but after reading that story in The New York Times linked above it makes it pretty clear that it's just about impossible to know for sure unless you have the product tested.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ok, I draw the line at having products tested. I love my hair, but still...

Cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:36 pm

The curly-tops want straight hair, those with the dead straight hair want curls...

I'm so glad my hair has grown out enough for braids or up do's! A brush, a few pins or a clip, and I'm good to go.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:54 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I'm so glad my hair has grown out enough for braids or up do's! A brush, a few pins or a clip, and I'm good to go.
So True! Heck, I don't even own a hairdryer. Every once in a while if I'm staying at a hotel I'll use one.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
So True! Heck, I don't even own a hairdryer. Every once in a while if I'm staying at a hotel I'll use one.
+1 We actually had to borrow a blowdryer from my neighbor for my son's science experiment last week.

And, ladies, if you're worried about what keratin does to your hair, pause to consider what chemotherapy does and be glad you don't have to worry about those side effects. I'm very grateful to have hair again.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
So True! Heck, I don't even own a hairdryer.
Then how do you dry your clothes?

(Seriously, if I spill some water on a shirt I'm wearing the first thing I reach for to dry it is the blow dryer. It's good for warming up shoes to stretch them out too if they're tight.)

CDTraveler: Point taken. Hurrah for braids and quick up-dos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.