Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What Do We Girls Want in Hotel Security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Do We Girls Want in Hotel Security?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:24 pm

I think the posters have covered everything that I'd look for. The big one is not saying the room number out loud. I hate that...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
My big one is adjoining rooms. In London last year I asked to be moved OUT of a room because it was adjoining another and there was an access door between them. Front desk in their wisdom moved me into ANOTHER room with TWO adjoining doors. Unfortunately the hotel was sold out so they could not move me again, however these doors felt safer as I could deadbolt them from my side. Didnt stop me putting my umbrella over the one I couldnt see from my bed though!

Other things I like in a hotel room from a female point of view (keeping in mind for many years my motel/hotel stays were dictated by what was avaliable in the small country towns I stayed at) are:
  • No adjoining rooms if possible
  • 1st floor or above
  • smaller hotel where the staff know you
  • double dead bolts
  • decent sized safe
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by TIMP
My big one is adjoining rooms. In London last year I asked to be moved OUT of a room because it was adjoining another and there was an access door between them.
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that. I have always seen adjoining rooms with a deadbolt on "my" side and no way for the other party to unlock it. It doesn't seem any less secure to me than the hallway door, but perhaps I'm missing something.
Dave
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Things I'd like:
  1. a real deadbolt
  2. a door stop, not to keep the door open, but rather, to allow for extra security by sliding it under the door to make it more difficult to open
  3. a room that's on at least the 3rd floor
  4. no exterior entrances
  5. write my room number on the inside of the key folder, don't tell me the room number
  6. a very well-lit parking lot
  7. well-lit entrances
  8. very little landscaping as far as bushes, shrubs, and trees that would allow for places to hide
  9. housekeeping that doesn't enter if the dnd sign is on the door, and that if I leave the TV on or lights on when I leave, keeps them on when they're done
  10. no adjoining rooms
  11. a peephole in the door, so I can see if someone is out there
  12. if the room is large, multiple phones, so that if I need the phone in an emergency, I have options on which to grab
  13. straight corridors, with no recesses for places for people to hide
  14. well-lit corridors
  15. well-maintained hotels
  16. attentive employees, because they're more likely to notice if someone is doing something odd
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I always travel with a rubber door stop, but my mom has an electronic one that squeals if someone tries to open the door. Last summer, though I stayed in a place with my boss (separate rooms) that had sliding glass doors leading out to the courtyard outside hallway. Didn't sleep the first night, but once I moved stuff in front of it I felt better. At first she laughed, but then I heard her doing the same thing.

I do like the hidden room number, as well as 3rd floor+. And I do like it when a hotel goes the extra mile for my security. My 6'3" husband is not as likely to be targeted.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Not a girl thing, just a 5'2" thing: I would like a peephole low enough for me to actually use!
This is my #1 pet peeve in hotel security. Why put the peephole at an "average" height? Men don't use them, and many women can't reach that height.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by tlvancouver
I dislike adjoining rooms, but more for noise than security. The two are related though, because I know I feel far more self conscious raising noise issues when I'm travelling on my own.

I would pay extra for a hotel with a "quiet floor", where there were penalties (financial, like the smoking in non-smoking room penalties) for noise. I seem to always get put beside the convention/corporate function groups (or once, in a high end hotel, a juvenile hockey team ).
I LOVE the idea of a penalty for NOISY guests!!! ^ I have had my fair share of shockers in that regard.

*I also dont like adjoining rooms and specifically request NO adjoining rooms for noise issues and security issues. 9/10 times my request is honoured.
*I request HIGH floors
*I like to see good, working locks/deadbolts on the door. EEK, Le Meridien SIN had a broken bolt but it was already my 2nd room change .
*I dont like being NEAR the elevators due to noise, but dont want to be at the end of a dingy, dark corridor either. Good lighting is VIP.
*Dont say my room number out loud at reception.
*I ditch the keyholder with room number on it as soon as I have memorised my room no. .
* If I call to advise security that there is domestic violence going on next door and I am feeling unsafe and its disturbing my child (also a girl)....attend immediately, not 1 hr later .
*Regular security staff patrols around the hotel and grounds.

I am a "girl" (just see my handle ) and a woman and either terminology is fine by me.

Thanks for starting this thread, its an interesting one.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by BurBunny
Why put the peephole at an "average" height? Men don't use them,
Really?

...many women can't reach that height.
Again I have to ask, really? My 5'2" daughter has never encountered one she can't use, though sometimes she has to stand on her tip-toes to do so.

It seems to me "average" height is a reasonable compromise. If peepholes were all set to be easily used by my daughter, it would make it tough for my 6' niece to also use them. Surely tall women have as much right to safety from peepholes as short women?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Really?

Again I have to ask, really? My 5'2" daughter has never encountered one she can't use, though sometimes she has to stand on her tip-toes to do so.

It seems to me "average" height is a reasonable compromise. If peepholes were all set to be easily used by my daughter, it would make it tough for my 6' niece to also use them. Surely tall women have as much right to safety from peepholes as short women?
I agree. A peep hole at around 5ft 6in should be well placed to be reached by a 5ft person or by a 6'2" person. Might actually be easier for the smaller person.

Dave, bseller, the adjoining room door is ANOTHER entry way into the room. So in principle it is a security risk. It's just as safe or unsafe as the actual corridor door but now you have two access points.

As far as high up rooms go, I think I already said that, it makes sense to choose one not higher than 8th floor because most fire ladders can't reach higher. I regularly don't follow my own advice because the view you can get from a room in a high floor is just too alluring.

Till
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma

I am just under 5' tall and have encountered numerous peep holes I cannot see through standing on the tippiest of tippy toes.

A tall man or woman can always bend down. A short person can only stretch so far. I'm not generally an advocate of lowest common denominator, but in safety and physical restrictions, sometimes you have to bend a bit (pardon the pun).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've never considered changing rooms due to an adjoining room attached simply because there has always been some kind of a deadbolt.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GfL
I am just under 5' tall and have encountered numerous peep holes I cannot see through standing on the tippiest of tippy toes.

A tall man or woman can always bend down. A short person can only stretch so far. I'm not generally an advocate of lowest common denominator, but in safety and physical restrictions, sometimes you have to bend a bit (pardon the pun).
Exactly. OklAAhoma's daughter notwithstanding, there are MANY hotel peepholes that I have not been able to see through. I have stayed in an awful lot of hotels around the world, and believe me, I wouldn't just make this issue up.

It is a hell of a lot easier for a tall person to bend down to a see through a peephole placed at 5'0" than it is for me to drag a chair over to the door so that I can see out of a peephole placed at 5'6". Remember, peoples' eyes are not located at the very tops of their heads...so a 5'6" high peephole is going to be a lot higher than I can see even standing on tiptoes!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by tlvancouver
I would pay extra for a hotel with a "quiet floor", where there were penalties (financial, like the smoking in non-smoking room penalties) for noise.
Me too!!! What a great idea!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
* If I call to advise security that there is domestic violence going on next door and I am feeling unsafe and its disturbing my child (also a girl)....attend immediately, not 1 hr later .
You called security and not the Police? It would be unsafe for Security to investigate the situation, since it is clearly a police matter. I'm sure Security probably contacted Police and the delay was likely in the police response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.