Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live and let die

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2000, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Live and let die

Is Wings officially dead? All signs certainly point to it.

Here are excerpts from a Bloomberg story today:

Prague, June 21 (Bloomberg) -- CSA AS, the Czech national airline, is in talks to join the international airline alliance led by Air France SA and U.S. Delta Airlines Inc. to strengthen its regional position, the company officials said.

The company will release a statement tomorrow on the progress of talks.

State-owned CSA negotiated with several worldwide airline alliances and last month short-listed Wings, an alliance led by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines NV and Italian carrier Alitalia SpA, and the alliance led by Air France and Delta as potential partners. Wings recently disintegrated, leaving the Air France-Delta group as the only option for CSA.

And now from a Reuters story:

ZURICH, June 21 (Reuters) - Continental Airlines Inc, the fifth-largest U.S. airline, said on Wednesday it was not in talks with any other carrier about ongoing consolidation in the industry and might well go it alone.

Chief Executive Gordon Bethune rejected reports that Continental and rival Delta Air Lines had held discussions about merger proposals that have recently emerged within the U.S. airline industry.

"We've had no talks with Delta or any other airline about consolidation," he told Reuters
during a visit to Zurich.

Turning to the hotly debated issue of airline alliances, Bethune said Continental was sticking to its bilateral deals with individual carriers for now, but would probably join a global alliance in the long run.

"Bilaterals work for us," Bethune said. "But ultimately there will be three or maybe four global alliances, one of which we'll be a part of because we have New York and we have Latin America so we bring a lot of value to a partnership."

Sounds like Gordo's already long past Wings.

[This message has been edited by motnot (edited 06-21-2000).]
Old Jun 27, 2000, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Boy, I sure liked my name for this thread, but apparently even that couldn't draw any interest in the Wings forum. Maybe if I say, "Paul is dead. Paul is dead."

Anyway, on Monday I found a Bloomberg story that Malaysian Airlines is considering joining one of three air alliances. The choices are: oneworld, Qualiflyer and (amazingly) Wings.

Maybe the fat lady hasn't sung.
Old Jun 27, 2000, 2:29 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am lurking here - but can't contribute real news. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.