Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet still allowing standby?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Westjet still allowing standby?

I have booked a flight for tomorrow but due to family emergency I would like to leave as early as possible. Does Westjet allow traveler just shows up at the airport waiting for the next available standby flight? I would be ok to pay a small fee.

Thank you.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I believe they do.

You may want to phone them just to confirm availability and what the charge is to get on an earlier flight. I think it used to be ~$40.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:39 am

Yes! Early Show fee @ $40 plus tax - $42. Can be requested at 'check-in' counter, but not usually 'baggage drop'. Super high priority code above all WS employees, family and friends.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Goldpoints Plus, Priority Club, Fly Blue

Last edited by jong866; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:38 am
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:35 am

westjet 'early show' (aka standby) fee

it's now $50 + taxes
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:17 pm

Its also now a confirmed seat, not standby. :-)
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VancouverGuy
Its also now a confirmed seat, not standby. :-)
That seems like a decent value then ^
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:23 pm

Is it only for a later flight, or can a seat be confirmed on a later flight too (similar to AC)?

Also, can this be done during OLCI or does it have to be at the airport?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:10 am

We refer to it as "early show" and "late show" It can only be done at an airport "ticketing" or "check-in" counter (ie not online/ kiosk or at "baggage drop" - but I think you'll get the self serve ability in the future).

You can "early show" at any time on the day of departure. You can only "late show" (that is, to miss your flight) if you present yourself at the airport or contact the Sales Centre, no more than TWO HOURS AFTER your scheduled departure time.

You can even change the route provided the origin and destination remains the same (so you can go from a connecting flight to a direct route). The fee for either service is a flat $50 (plus $2.50 GST), payable by cash, credit card or debit (WestJet dollars and travel credits cannot be used for fees).

As I said, its a confirmed seat, so standby is not available at this time. I think thats all the questions I've ever had about early show/ late show. If you have any others let me know!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:38 pm

Any updates on early show? Can this still just be done at check in, or also through the contact centre or online?

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It still existed as described above in November.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Still exists as long as space is available on the earlier flight. You can not stand by if the flight is sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.