Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

How much more stupid and insipid can WS TV ads get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

And I thought the last batch were pretty bad, but this crop scrapes the bottom of the barrell. All they say to me is that WestJet fliers have got to have IQs lower than the average caveman!

The business dufus who ends up having his presentation set up by a WS FA...

But even worse, the family coming back from a vacation wearing their shorts and beach clothing when it's -20 at the airport they're about to land at! But just when you thought stupidity had hit rock bottom, the WS flight crew is shown in these clothes after they've given the dumb family their own warmer clothing! (Hmmm, didn't the brainiac crew think of wearing winter coats if they were also returning to frigid climes?!)

Another reason not to give my patronage unless there is no other alternative. Stupid is stupid, dumb is dumb. This seems to be the new corporate culture under its new president, and it sums it up just fine.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Maybe friendly Westerjetters could help a documentary filmaker find his happy pill?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Maybe friendly Westerjetters could help a documentary filmaker find his happy pill?
They aren't miracle workers LOL.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder

Another reason not to give my patronage unless there is no other alternative. Stupid is stupid, dumb is dumb. This seems to be the new corporate culture under its new president, and it sums it up just fine.
And exactly how much patronage have you given them in total? Does the ad really have an effect on your patronage?

While I have flown exactly 4 segments on Westjet, the best review I can give is that Westjet is neither significantly better or worse in any comparable term for the basic economy class traveler when considering AC or any other major airline in NA. Therefore it comes down to commodity air-travel services where the only thing that really matters is brand reputation and price. Westjet appears to be beating AC on the former whether deservedly or not, and is competitive on the latter.

For some of the complaints I read here about public bias against AC for irrational or past historical reasons, making a decision because you find the ad's lacking creative and artistic value is rather puzzling.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
At least Westjet's ads have never featured Celine Dion...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by billybob123
At least Westjet's ads have never featured Celine Dion...
And I believe that should close the debate, since "horror and revulsion" wins out over "insipid and stupid" everytime.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:13 am

But even worse, the family coming back from a vacation wearing their shorts and beach clothing when it's -20 at the airport they're about to land at! But just when you thought stupidity had hit rock bottom, the WS flight crew is shown in these clothes after they've given the dumb family their own warmer clothing! (Hmmm, didn't the brainiac crew think of wearing winter coats if they were also returning to frigid climes?!)
lol, I saw this ad today, it too made me go.... huh?!
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think the ads are pretty funny myself. Would they make me book Westjet, probably not me but Celine wouldn't get me to book AC either
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I think the ads are pretty funny myself. Would they make me book Westjet, probably not me but Celine wouldn't get me to book AC either
Most here may knock the Celine AC campaign, but the song went on to be one of her best sellers making her more money than WS paid its employee owners in dividends last year, and it also became Hillary's campaign song. Can't knock success!
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:48 pm

deleted......

Last edited by Ace Cdn; Sep 30, 2007 at 9:56 pm Reason: deleted
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Just pointing out stupidity whenever it runs rampant.
No wonder you're here so little and somewhere else so much.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:04 am

And I thought the last batch were pretty bad, but this crop scrapes the bottom of the barrell. All they say to me is that WestJet fliers have got to have IQs lower than the average caveman!

The business dufus who ends up having his presentation set up by a WS FA...

Yup...you are absolutely right.

The fact that WestJet is making buckets of money relative to their peers proves your point.

By the way , the adds have tested very well. I guess you are in the minority.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
The ads are bad. Unless you pay really close attention to commercials, you don't even notice its the crew shivering outside in their tropical clothes, rather than the original pax. I didn't, and I've got a big screen and some motivation to see what dreck WS's agency pumps out.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
The ads are bad. Unless you pay really close attention to commercials, you don't even notice its the crew shivering outside in their tropical clothes, rather than the original pax. I didn't, and I've got a big screen and some motivation to see what dreck WS's agency pumps out.
The ads will be a resounding success if they keep people who never fly WestJet but who attack them off of their planes.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:53 pm

The ads are, frankly, stupid. But they get across a message - that message being that WS employees will take care of you. When your competition is perceived as being a cold-hearted ex-Crown Corporation, that message is effective. I don't remember the last AC ad on TV, but I can remember 3 (relatively) recent WS ads. That shows they work. People talk about them too. Even if viewers don't understand the ad, it gets them talking about WS. They actually came up at my family's Thanksgiving dinner tonight.

Airlines seem to have figured out four types of advertising work: 1) advertising low prices, 2) advertising something new (NW's "new plane smell" ads, CP's fantastic "Proud Wings" ads - I still remember the first time I saw those ads, lol), 3) something funny and memorable (WS, WN), or 4) something warm and fuzzy (AC "You and I," AA "Something Special in the Air).

BTW, as much as people may hate Celine Dion's song, it's quite similar to the "I Can Fly" song CX uses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHiCD...elated&search=

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.