Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Westjet start Cranbrook service?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by robsawatsky
"CANADA BORDER SERVICE AGENCY (CBSA):

Cranbrook Airport is a designated point of entry. CBSA is available on request (prior notice required)."
Yes Cranbrook's Intl airport does have a Canada Customs Facility, it is in the brand new arrivals section.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:29 pm

Thumbs up WestJet? You bet!

Originally Posted by BTR_CDN
I grew up in Fernie, and I would argue that Cranbrook could sustain 737 flights. The problem right now is that the airfares out of Cranbrook are fairly high and a lot of people are travelling elsewhere to fly. If you took a look at the airports in the area, I'm pretty sure that Cranbrook has the only Canadian commercial airport in a 3 to 5 hour driving radius. They are losing large numbers of travelers who are driving several hours (3 to 8 hours) to fly out of the airport in Calgary if they are flying in Canada or to Kalispell and Spokane in the U.S..

If increased competition were to occur on flights to Cranbrook and it brought down prices somewhat, I think that a lot more people would start using the Cranbook airport rather than driving several hours to save some money. Remember that no matter which airport people in the region are flying from, they are going to have to drive a minimum of one hour and possibly two to get to the "local" airport. So if you have to drive an extra hour to save a hundred bucks/person, it isn't that big a deal.

The other consideration is that the ski resorts in the area are growing fairly quickly and the region is starting to become a bigger summer destination with several golf course being built and lots of other outdoor activities being available.
Right on the money. Furthermore:
- Runway expansion now complete to 8000ft.
- Now accomodates: A310 A319 A320 A321 737-6,7,800 757-200 767-300.
- Delta is launching Cranbrook-Salt Lake service this December. (Although at somewhat poor timing for the US economy)
- 14 full size golf courses, resorts & more on the way (plus many par 3's) in the East Kootenays.
- Plenty of wonderful outdoor activities to participate in year around: hiking, camping, fishing, mountain biking, kayaking, hunting, golfing, skiing, snow boarding, snow shooing, cross country, and many more!
- Many of these communities swell significantly in size in summer and winter, which is not captured by census data.
- FYI The 1978 accident actually took place at a physically different airport/location, no longer in operation.
- As a kid, I remember flying on reasonably filled jets out of the NEW/current Cranbrook airport location.
- Before the Air Canada/Canadian merger debacle, they were running up to 8 flights daily in and out of Cranbrook to Calgary and Vancouver on Dash-8's. Some were milk runs with another drop in the Okanagan along the way. While the Calgary run wasn't always full, the rest of the trips nearly always were.
- Air Canada/Canadian had a long history of predatory pricing tactics in Cranbrook, and only since their merger have become somewhat relaxed with Pacific Coastal now making regular flights for the past several years.
- In short, previously when the major's Cranbrook service took a dive (poor flight options, smaller planes, higher prices) so did their ridership. Go figure!
- Many many people prefer to travel on larger planes/jets, and are more than willing to make the drive to Calgary or Spokane to get that service.

The short: WestJet? You bet! They can seriously give AC a run for their money.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:49 pm

Cranbrook should be able to sustain the 737's if the ticket prices are reasonable. The problem with Cranbrook's airport right now is that all of the flights on Air Canada and Pacific Coastal are expensive and on small aircrafts. Almost everyone I know that lives here flies out of Calgary, Spokane, and Kalispell 10x more than Cranbrook because it's a better deal for them, and some of them don't even fly out from here. Does anyone remember Pacific Western Airlines? They had multiple flights a day on a 737-200 in Cranbrook back in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Last edited by kidder15; Apr 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm Reason: Was young and uneducated on the subject
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P
Originally Posted by airbus320
An idea that has value.

A second aircraft in the fleet would indeed veer from the one aircraft model but with only the 737 and its variants, WS seems to have reached market saturation with very few airports left capable of finacially sustainable 737 routes.
I agree that a second model would increase the amount of areas they could serve efficiently and cost effectively. However I'm not convinced they have reached marker saturation for the 737 domestically, they're close though.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by kidder15
. Cranbrooks population is over 26,000 now, and another thing is that The Kootenays is one of Canada's most valuable tourism areas, and the entire east Kootenay's has over 70,000 poeple, and the West Kootenays plus the East Kootenays has over 150,000 people. Who thought that Comox could support a 737?
I covered this in an earlier post. YQQ's service serves an approximate 200,000 people within a 90 minute drive. Nanaimo is BY FAR the largest metro area in BC without jet service, and YQQ is the nearest large airport. YQQ in fact is one of only four ICAO international airports in BC (the others being YVR,YYJ and YXX) and one of only three with a 24/7 control tower.

Nanaimo 78,000
Parksville 10,900
Qualicum 8,500
Courtenay 21,900
Comox 12,000
Campbell River 32,000
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Goldpoints Plus, Priority Club, Fly Blue

Last edited by jong866; Jan 14, 2010 at 3:43 am
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC, Delta Privilege Gold, Air Miles Gold
Originally Posted by airbus320
An idea that has value.
While I am not a fan of the RJ/100/200 and the CRA 705, I must recognize that this aircraft is a niche market aircraft and serves smaller routes very well. Add to these models, the Embrear and its variants and you have some more choices.
Maybe WS is just waiting for the demise of Porter and get their new fleet of Bombardier Q400s at a bargain price That aircraft would do well in the smaller Canadian markets and its very cheap to operate.

bad thought I guess since Porter seems to be doing well in their niche market but if WS is patient enough, it may happen!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:51 pm

While I love your creativity and big dreams, I should let you know that our internal rumour-buster page once clarified that WestJet will be looking for larger metal, not smaller, when the time is right. It was pretty hush on how long we'd be waiting, though :-)
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:07 am

OK so disregard my last post... its seems the game has changed since our 'Real Story' article was published a few months back! Todays Globe suggests we might indeed be investigating a fleet of smaller planes!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Yesterday on the Calgary news, there was mention of the expansion of Cranbrook's runway and terminal, with the anticipation of international flights coming to their airport. It was also mentioned that with the expansion, a third airline is being wooed and Westjet was specifically named. Do you think Cranbrook is on Westjet's radar and if so, what would the target desitinations be: Vancouver and Calgary, making connections from those cities, or ....?
west
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markslepo
west
Do you mean a route from Cranbrook and to, say, Vancouver ONLY?

Last edited by YYCguy; Dec 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by markslepo
west
Welcome to FT.
North.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi AA.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:10 pm

Cranbrook to Calgary is 130 miles, even less than Calgary - Edmonton so I don't think you'll ever see a 737 on that route. When PWA did it, oil was $20 a barrel!

I can't see Cranbrook to Winnipeg or Toronto either.

Cranbrook to Vancouver is 335 miles but would have to arranged so it fed other routes out of Vancouver and other than Prince George, it is all US and Mexico.

I don't know too much about their schedule, but I'll bet most of those flights leave Vancouver in the morning so that means a later in the evening flight from Vancouver to Cranbrook that connects from as many other destinations, overnights in Cranbrook and an early morning flight to Vancouver to hook up with the flights to Prince George and the south and Hawaii.

Westjet rarely seems to start markets with an overnight aircraft as it just makes it more expensive.

I just don't see Cranbrook on Westjets radar screen until they add a second fleet type!

Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:48 pm

*bump*

6 years later, and many flights in/out of Cranbrook are full to the gills on larger Dash-8's, Pacific Coastal has increased service, often with a Saab comparable to Dash-8's. Now that WS is running Q400's, this seems like a viable option, as well as larger AC metal occasionally to Vancouver, Calgary, Kelowna, or beyond (2x/week etc).

We did lose the Delta snowbird run to Salt-Lake (always a reach)... but a CRJ-900 between YXC-YVR would be easily doable. While the route to YYC is short, it is needed due to seasonal road conditions through the Rockies, and deserves better than a Beechcraft (I like flying on all types of planes, but those get pushed around so much over the Rockies and on YXC approach -- and then you have to sit on the tarmac for 30min to connect to a gate -- it's no wonder there's lower demand on that route).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.