Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet 5x week to HNL and 2x to Maui from YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum

Here is the link:

http://tsedb.theglobeandmail.com/ser...&slug=0920117n

WestJet Announces All-Jet Service to Honolulu and Maui
10:00 EDT Tuesday, September 20, 2005

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(CCNMatthews - Sept. 20, 2005) -

Airline Will Offer Five Flights a Week to Honolulu Starting December 9, 2005 and Two Flights a Week to Maui Starting December 17, 2005

WestJet (TSX:WJA) today announced it will begin offering non-stop service to the new markets of Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii. This new schedule also offers connecting flights to several other WestJet destinations across North America. Seats are available for sale immediately.

Following are the schedule details of the non-stop Hawaii service WestJet will offer:

Vancouver to Honolulu (starting December 9(1))
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Departure Arrival Days
7 p.m. 10:58 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday

Honolulu to Vancouver
Departure Arrival Days
11:58 p.m. 7:50 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday
(1) From December 9 - 16, 2005, WestJet will operate a daily flight
between Vancouver and Honolulu at the times listed above.

Vancouver to Maui (starting December 17)
Departure Arrival Days
7 p.m. 10:53 p.m. Wednesday and Saturday

Maui to Vancouver (starting December 17)
Departure Arrival Days
11:53 p.m. 7:31 a.m. Wednesday and Saturday

"WestJet is absolutely thrilled to be announcing non-stop flights to Hawaii," said Sean Durfy, WestJet's Executive Vice-President of Marketing and Sales. "Hawaii is one of the destinations that our loyal guests and dedicated WestJetters have been asking us to serve for several years. With our convenient schedule, reasonable fares and brand new Boeing Next-Generation 737-800 jets equipped with leather seats and more legroom, I am confident that guests won't hesitate to choose WestJet when travelling to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands."

WestJet is Canada's leading low-cost airline currently offering scheduled service throughout its 34-city North American network. Named Canada's most respected corporation for customer service in 2005, WestJet pioneered low-cost high-value flying in Canada. With increased legroom and leather seats on its modern fleet of Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft, and live seatback television provided by Bell ExpressVu on its 737-700 fleet, WestJet strives to be the number one choice for travellers.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Interesting move for the winter season, though not unexpected. Lots of traffic from western Canada can be anticipated given the high C$. BTW, the 800s don't have satellite seatback TV, so no IFE for this rather lengthy hop on a 737. So bring your own iPod...or DVD player.

Also interesting, for those who have complained about AC's sked to HNL, that WestJet is pretty much offering the same departure times at both ends. I'd still opt for AC or HMY.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Interesting move for the winter season, though not unexpected. Lots of traffic from western Canada can be anticipated given the high C$. BTW, the 800s don't have satellite seatback TV, so no IFE for this rather lengthy hop on a 737. So bring your own iPod...or DVD player.

Also interesting, for those who have complained about AC's sked to HNL, that WestJet is pretty much offering the same departure times at both ends. I'd still opt for AC or HMY.
I noticed that too (sked is very similar to AC and the 738s don't have TVs).

The TV thing isn't a factor anyway because of satelite reception issues. Perhaps someone with more accurate Satelite knowledge can chime in, but I believe the Satelite used by Bell Canada Expressview will out of range by about the 1 hour inflight mark.

The good thing about Westjet flight is a requirement to block between 20-30 seats for weight issues. 2 people flying can get to the airport early and effectively have a good chance of blocking a middle seat.

For people originating in YVR, the chance of blocking a middle seat will be reduced as people from YEG, YVR, YYZ etc will have all ready checked in. Currently Westjet does not allow OLCI for Transborder flights.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
even if they had satellite TV on those birds, would they get coverage all the way out to HNL?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:09 am
exAC

Ah but, people will think that there will be TV onboard. Did you notice how the press release skirts the subject?

Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
I noticed that too (sked is very similar to AC and the 738s don't have TVs).

The good thing about Westjet flight is a requirement to block between 20-30 seats for weight issues. 2 people flying can get to the airport early and effectively have a good chance of blocking a middle seat.
Good for the passengers but not necessarily good for WJ. Can they make a profit when 20 to 30 seats per flight have to be blocked off? If they can't make a go of it, it will be yanked, like all the other T/B routes they misjudged.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If the birds had the range they would do far better ex-Alberta. Did Aloha restrict their capacity ex-YVR? I think they flew 700's to Hawaii and I think Air Pacific still flies a 737 there from YVR.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
If the birds had the range they would do far better ex-Alberta. Did Aloha restrict their capacity ex-YVR? I think they flew 700's to Hawaii and I think Air Pacific still flies a 737 there from YVR.
According to the release, they are using the 800's. These birds don't have the range apparantly to do YYC-HNL. I've heard that Aloha had weight restrictions on their run. Talk around the forums seems to say that WJ will have to do the same.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
This is an interesting development, especially in lite of demand for the islands increasing and discounted space on AC at times gone months in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exAC
Ah but, people will think that there will be TV onboard. Did you notice how the press release skirts the subject?

yep.

Also, IIRC the 800s were suposed to be outfitted with TVs in the 4th quarter (this according to the Q2 investor/press conference call). I will take it from the above PR that Westjet no longer feels that a December 2005 install date is feasable.

After the first 800 arrived in Q2 it was suposed to travel to MCO for outfitting and testing of the TV system. The aircraft returned because Westjet didn't want to take the chance of losing the lift for summer peak (again this accordign to the Q2 conference). It was stated that an 800 would fly down to MCO in the fall shoulder season for installation and certification.

I wonder what the costs are to get a Suplemental Type cCertificate for the TVs on the 800s? Is it cost prohibitive to get an STC for a 5 airplane fleet?

From the notes on the LHR Do (thanks to all who attended for providing detailed accounts) AC is also having some trouble getting the AVOD and new seats out on time. IS ANY AIRLINE GETTING AN AVOD OR TV INSTALLATION OUT ON TIME WHEN NEW AIRCRAFT TYPES ARE INVOLVED???
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:58 am

Another question is whether Hawaii is part of the LiveTV coverage area. JetBlue doesn't fly to Hawaii.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Of course, WestJet is skirting the satellite TV issue. And yes, Expressvu is not receivable much beyond Vancouver Island. But there are lots of other satellites WestJet could poach from, if they wanted to sign contracts, but not worth it for this rump route. And while AC may have problems with its new AVOD, its mainline fleet is still equipped with IFE save for RJs. Some IFE is better than none.

What I don't understand about WestJet's aircraft is if they are intended to get IFE, why are the seatbacks not prepped for installation as AC has done with its Embraers? The newly delivered 737 I had ex-YEG two months ago had no "cut out" for a TV screen.

Interesting about the load issue...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:30 am

1. A 737-800 flew down to MCO today for LiveTV install.
2. The LiveTV system will offer PPV movies that are installed on the aircraft.

As for range, a fully loaded 737-800 with 189 (max. capacity) would have to be range restricted but a 737-800 with 166 seats can make it with no restrictions, at least that's the word I hear from our Flight Ops department.

Last edited by Hypnotize; Sep 20, 2005 at 11:32 am
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:42 am

You beat me to it, hypnotize!

Correct on all points.

Range should not be an issue, high gross weight 800s with only 166 seats, and yvr to hnl is only 2350 nm.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
1. A 737-800 flew down to MCO today for LiveTV install.
2. The LiveTV system will offer PPV movies that are installed on the aircraft.

As for range, a fully loaded 737-800 with 189 (max. capacity) would have to be range restricted but a 737-800 with 166 seats can make it with no restrictions, at least that's the word I hear from our Flight Ops department.
Does WJ have 737-800 with differant seating? (166 seats vs. 189) If not then there is in fact a restriction and WJ must block off 23 seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.