Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet handling of January 2024 extreme cold conditions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet handling of January 2024 extreme cold conditions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by J. Leslie
This, plus everything FlyerJ said earlier.
So, we’ve made the decision to cancel all of our upcoming Westjet flights this year and re-book on other airlines which are better equipped to handle IRROPS. Based in YYC, it’s difficult to avoid this airline, but not impossible. We have enough flexibility to make that feasible for us..
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Interesting. While other airlines may have better systems and better self-serve tools for IRROPS, (1) they still go through IRROPS and (2) their passengers are still significantly inconvenienced during IRROPS. Other airlines may have better tools and process, but the grass may not be as greener as you think.

Ultimately, if you’re a flier based in YYC (or almost anywhere in the prairies) and you choose to avoid WestJet due to IRROPS, you’re increasing your chance of disruption by swapping non-stops (in many cases) for connections.

To be honest, no airline or airport can eliminate the disruption caused by a major weather event.
Agreed, all airlines are subject to IRROPS, and AC definitely has their share of them at YYZ. The difference is that AC seems to get back on their feet much more quickly. I've had dozens of IRROPS situations on both WS and AC; AC often has major problems, but generally gets you where you're going within 24 hours. When WS runs into problems, it can take days to recover.

Originally Posted by J. Leslie
Indeed. And in 45+ years of flying, I’ve encountered IRROPS many, many times - including with ‘old’ Westjet. What I’ve never encountered, though, is the level of incompetence/indifference currently on display with this airline. And there’s no sign that management even recognizes they have a problem, let alone doing anything to fix it. Rather, their focus seems to be on turning the fleet into airborne school buses with 28” pitch.
So, i’ll stand by my decision to avoid - at least until there are signs of improvement. Not holding my breath, but anything’s possible.
Definitely agree; there are decent chances of misconnects when connecting via AC, especially out of YYC. But when WS runs into IRROPS, there's a real risk of having the trip cancelled entirely or getting stuck somewhere for days while they try to recover.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
Agreed, all airlines are subject to IRROPS, and AC definitely has their share of them at YYZ. The difference is that AC seems to get back on their feet much more quickly. I've had dozens of IRROPS situations on both WS and AC; AC often has major problems, but generally gets you where you're going within 24 hours. When WS runs into problems, it can take days to recover.
I'm certainly not a WS apologist ... but, in fairness, this was a pretty unique and operationally-devastating weather situation that they had to deal with. They had 4 consecutive days of weather severely impacting their biggest hub and numerous destinations near that hub -- 4 days where fuelling systems wouldn't work, de-icing wouldn't work, bridges froze up, ground crew capacity was limited, etc. They were absolutely hammered by awful conditions that lasted for days on end.

Then, on top of that, Friday Jan 12 saw another of their major airports (YYZ) hit with weather that required a bunch of incoming flights to divert to a different airports. So on top of dealing with their deep freeze in YYC and the prairies, they also had to recover from their fleet (and hundreds of passengers) being in the wrong places in Ontario thanks to a separate, 'regular' winter storm.

I've been stuck in my share of IRROPS -- AC for weather at YYZ, UA in an icestorm at IAH, DL in an IT meltdown at MSP. In all of those experiences, the airline had maybe 12 to 24 hours of battling a single problem. They all got on their feet more quickly because the problem could be resolved more quickly. In this situation, WS was faced with a 4 day event hitting their mega-hub compounded by a 'regular' winter storm hitting a second key airport.

I absolutely get the anger in this thread (like I said, luck was on my side that I wasn't impacted) and by no means am I trying to minimize what people had to go through. But, operationally, I really have no idea what WestJet could have done to prevent this. (In terms of customer communication, yes. But operationally, no.)
YYCguy and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Extreme cold isn't exactly unusual and its effects known, and was predicted. Contingencies could have been put in place. More agents at call centres for one, more ramp workers so they can be rotated in and out to warm up. Who knows if there will be long-term damage, or if customers will stay loyal because it's a "western" outfit (sort of like loyalty to Shaw Cable vs. Telus despite how unreliable and spotty the former's internet service can be).
AFlyingStart likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Extreme cold isn't exactly unusual and its effects known, and was predicted. Contingencies could have been put in place. More agents at call centres for one, more ramp workers so they can be rotated in and out to warm up.
A post from a user named "hollywoodcory" on the YYC forum on Skyscraperpage.com:

The extreme cold over the weekend caused a massive amount of problems resulting in a ton of cancellations as well as very delayed flights. It will likely be days before WS can fully recover its operations.

Much of the equipment on the ramp wouldn't work including jet brides and fueling stations, belt loaders to get bags off and on planes stalled, cargo doors were frozen which resulted in very long baggage offloads (up to FOUR hours in some cases) and it was so cold the deicing fluid was ineffective.

All crews out on the ramp worked very hard in very dangerous conditions. In some cases employees were working long 12+ hour days to go find that their cars wouldn't start.
I'm not sure how they could have staffed up to have a relevant number of additional (temporary??) ramp workers to have changed anything, particularly when the biggest issues were planes being frozen shut, fuelling systems being frozen and inoperable, bridges freezing up and going out of commission, etc, etc. Short of putting a massive roof over YYC, YEG and YLW and heating the tarmacs, seriously, what could they have done to prevent those issues?

Throwing a bunch of temps onto the tarmac to try to operate inoperable equipment wouldn't have helped.

Heck, even if was just one type of equipment that went inoperable ... there might be a single root cause pointing to a solution and a way of preventing this from happening again. But the problems hit equipment belonging to the airport authorities (i.e. bridges) and to the ground handlers (loading belts, tugs) and the de-icing contractors (de-icing fluid that wouldn't de-ice) and, heck, even the doors on WestJet's own aircraft.

It's easy to say 'contingencies could have been in place' ... but, realistically, what could have been done?
YYCguy, aerobod and cirrusdragoon like this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Jan 15, 2024 at 4:11 pm
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'm certainly not a WS apologist ... but, in fairness, this was a pretty unique and operationally-devastating weather situation that they had to deal with. They had 4 consecutive days of weather severely impacting their biggest hub and numerous destinations near that hub -- 4 days where fuelling systems wouldn't work, de-icing wouldn't work, bridges froze up, ground crew capacity was limited, etc. They were absolutely hammered by awful conditions that lasted for days on end.

Then, on top of that, Friday Jan 12 saw another of their major airports (YYZ) hit with weather that required a bunch of incoming flights to divert to a different airports. So on top of dealing with their deep freeze in YYC and the prairies, they also had to recover from their fleet (and hundreds of passengers) being in the wrong places in Ontario thanks to a separate, 'regular' winter storm.

I've been stuck in my share of IRROPS -- AC for weather at YYZ, UA in an icestorm at IAH, DL in an IT meltdown at MSP. In all of those experiences, the airline had maybe 12 to 24 hours of battling a single problem. They all got on their feet more quickly because the problem could be resolved more quickly. In this situation, WS was faced with a 4 day event hitting their mega-hub compounded by a 'regular' winter storm hitting a second key airport.

I absolutely get the anger in this thread (like I said, luck was on my side that I wasn't impacted) and by no means am I trying to minimize what people had to go through. But, operationally, I really have no idea what WestJet could have done to prevent this. (In terms of customer communication, yes. But operationally, no.)
Living in YYC, I take no exception to the extremely challenging circumstances as far as outdoor operations and fully acknowledge that they needed to cancel flights given the reduced capacity. The issue I have is more related to communication, poor IT, unreachable CS, an unclear and inaccessible travel waiver, and they seem to have lost track of crew to get flights back on track quickly. People were left with cancelled flights and no rebooking options, on hold for hours trying to get an agent trying to cancel or rebook, or unable to even get through. What could they do:
  • Their travel waiver was issued far too late, was unclear on what it covered. Issue a clear waiver that actually works (i.e. change flights up to X date, keeping same origin/destination with no change fee or fare difference).
  • Self-service tools that actually work to let people cancel/rebook flights, including reflecting the travel waiver (i.e. let people move to alternate flight within date range with no fare difference). A lot of the call center backlog seems to be driven by basic changes that should be able to be done online
  • Unreachable CS; need basic features like a reliable callback system, ability to staff up call capacity during IRROPS
  • Leverage airport staff at outstations to help customers rebook
Absolutely no criticism for the folks working outdoor operations who went above and beyond in exceptional circumstances. The issue is the customer facing aspects outside the aircraft (airport, call center, IT) where things completely fell apart.
Speedbird84, nli007 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:36 pm

• Leverage airport staff at outstations to help customers rebook
That would be fantastic, but…

If I recall, there are no WestJet staff at any “outstations” any longer. All but a handful of their primary airports are now “staffed” by outsourced ground handling companies for only basic check-in agent and gate agent functions.

I doubt WS even has the ability to use those people for remote IRROPS support, because when they’re not doing WestJet check-in and gate functions (scheduled only around timing of WS departures) those same contractors are swapping out their WS uniforms for another airline’s uniform to go stand behind that other airline’s desk. And my hunch is that they’re only trained to a very basic level on each airline they work for; probably not good enough to handle challenging IRROPS rebooking (and tense customer) situations.

Few airlines have any slack - ie extra people - anywhere in their systems. WS probably takes that even further than most…
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:51 pm

That would be fantastic, but…

If I recall, there are no WestJet staff at any “outstations” any longer. All but a handful of their primary airports are now “staffed” by outsourced ground handling companies for only basic check-in agent and gate agent functions.

I doubt WS even has the ability to use those people for remote IRROPS support, because when they’re not doing WestJet check-in and gate functions (scheduled only around timing of WS departures) those same contractors are swapping out their WS uniforms for another airline’s uniform to go stand behind that other airline’s desk. And my hunch is that they’re only trained to a very basic level on each airline they work for; probably not good enough to handle challenging IRROPS rebooking (and tense customer) situations.

Few airlines have any slack - ie extra people - anywhere in their systems. WS probably takes that even further than most…
Sure, but that's purely a Westjet decision. They decided to build the network with very few redundancies.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:46 am

What could they do:
  • Their travel waiver was issued far too late, was unclear on what it covered. Issue a clear waiver that actually works (i.e. change flights up to X date, keeping same origin/destination with no change fee or fare difference).
  • Self-service tools that actually work to let people cancel/rebook flights, including reflecting the travel waiver (i.e. let people move to alternate flight within date range with no fare difference). A lot of the call center backlog seems to be driven by basic changes that should be able to be done online
  • Unreachable CS; need basic features like a reliable callback system, ability to staff up call capacity during IRROPS
All fair points.

One thing that has often puzzled me is WestJet's phone system.

I'm lucky in that - as a Platinum - I usually get pretty quick access to an agent. But, when the agent answers, they start a sloooooow process of figuring out who I am, asking me more questions to verify that, and then figuring out why I'm calling.

Please, resist your urge to cringe as I suggest this. In addition to other things, they need a much better, modern phone system that can do all of that automatically before connecting callers to an agent. I'm not saying they go with an old-school "our menu options have changed, press 1 for x press 2 for y press 3 for z" system -- those are awful and outdated and really don't help. And I'm not suggesting that this should be in place of truly useful self-serve options on the web or their app.

But if they could acquire and implement a system that could - in a customer-friendly way - figure out who I am and why I'm calling, they could shave minutes off of every call. And therefore they could handle more calls. Or have agents already 'briefed' and prepped when a requested callback is finally connected. And, frankly, make calls a little less frustrating if I didn't have to answer the same questions each and every time.

Would it increase their CS capacity such that phones would be answered immediately and customers dealt with right away during IRROPS? No, of course not. But would it still increase their call capacity? Yep. And could it (if done correctly) make for a way better customer experience? Yep.

Check out this video ... cutting-edge AI powered phone systems that, they say, are used by many airlines Super interesting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/how-ar...-call-centers/
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:55 am

Looks like WS has cancelled all their mainline flights from YVR after 20:30 tonight because of the snow.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if they could acquire and implement a system that could - in a customer-friendly way - figure out who I am and why I'm calling, they could shave minutes off of every call. And therefore they could handle more calls. Or have agents already 'briefed' and prepped when a requested callback is finally connected. And, frankly, make calls a little less frustrating if I didn't have to answer the same questions each and every time.
Would cost too much. Suspect Schwartz & Co. want to get as much cash flow out of WS in the short-term to recover their investment and/or boot earnings to prep WS for a sale.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:57 pm

Well, this is one of the pillars of the new CEO's strategy for WestJet:

Invest in technology and radical digitalization to improve our guest experience and simplify internal processes to ensure meaningful and engaging jobs for our people.
It would seem that they haven't done much on that front yet -- at least nothing that's visible to us customers.
gcashin and nli007 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, this is one of the pillars of the new CEO's strategy for WestJet:

It would seem that they haven't done much on that front yet -- at least nothing that's visible to us customers.
When was this? Takes to to select, implement and train. If it's 1-2 years ago, I can see it being in process (but surely there'll be an announcement somewhere by either WS or the vendor) or otherwise empty rhetoric?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
I know this is so incredibly frustrating to everyone whose travel has been impacted. (I consider myself lucky that I happened to not be flying during this.)

A couple of thoughts:

Realistically, this is not a “what WestJet has become” issue or a “blame Onex” issue. This is not new. Every version of WestJet has been awful at dealing with IRROPS, not just this one. It’s always been like this. Their customer-facing self serve tech remains weak. It seems that rebooking and communication due to IRROPS require a much higher level of manual work than any other major airline. It’s a problem, but it’s not new.
I agree with this 100%. Since day 1, or at least over the past 15 years, WestJet has been an airline that operates daily on pretty much zero cushion or capability to absorb IRROP events. Sunny day in June, but 3 aircraft go mechanical or AOG, and it’s chaos. It’s just who they are…fleet utilization is really high, there’s no spare capacity available. And there’s no cushion of extra staff to bring in to deal with weather events like this week, because outside of their core airports, they have contracted all CSAs out, and pretty much all ground handling is now contracted.

Comparing how they handle the weather to how AC does isn’t really fair. AC is a huge operation, with lots of extra capacity. Westjet cancels 4 YYC-YYZ flights, and it will take 4-5 days to clear the backlog, whereas AC runs 2 extra wide body sections, and problem solved.

Not making excuses for them, just saying that as a consumer, you kind of need to know these things going in. If you really have to get there, you need to have a backup plan.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I agree with this 100%. Since day 1, or at least over the past 15 years, WestJet has been an airline that operates daily on pretty much zero cushion or capability to absorb IRROP events. Sunny day in June, but 3 aircraft go mechanical or AOG, and it’s chaos. It’s just who they are…fleet utilization is really high, there’s no spare capacity available. And there’s no cushion of extra staff to bring in to deal with weather events like this week, because outside of their core airports, they have contracted all CSAs out, and pretty much all ground handling is now contracted.
I did a mileage-reviving run and one of the stops was in YYC. At least on (or because it was) a Saturday early afternoon, WS didn't appear run on a high-utilisation/quick turn-around basis like WN. Lots of 737s sitting at gates for extended periods (as in all of my 1 1/2 hr layover) which I was really surprised by. There are also the WR DH4 fleet which seems to have an even lower utilization rate (I understand WS doesn't know what to do with them) - the one that took me to YLW (stayed parked for over 3 hrs). Very different from the WS I first experienced in '97.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.