Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

It's a bad idea to convert RBC Avion points to Westjet Dollars

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's a bad idea to convert RBC Avion points to Westjet Dollars

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Exclamation It's a bad idea to convert RBC Avion points to Westjet Dollars

Being a WestJet rewards holder, I thought it would be a good idea to exchange my Avion points for WestJet dollars. Bad idea. You can only use WJD on the base fare. In my case about 60% of the total cost of my trip. There's no way to reverse this process. My flights have now been cancelled (bad weather) with no replacements. Now, I can't change airlines either without significant cash outlay.
Never again!
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by BBaker
Being a WestJet rewards holder, I thought it would be a good idea to exchange my Avion points for WestJet dollars. Bad idea. You can only use WJD on the base fare. In my case about 60% of the total cost of my trip. There's no way to reverse this process. My flights have now been cancelled (bad weather) with no replacements. Now, I can't change airlines either without significant cash outlay.
Never again!
It's also not as good a use of Avion points as it is to convert them to BA Avios points when they have conversion bonus promotions on.
Da_Master and pokee like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

“Bad idea”

Live and learn.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:27 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by tjk1976
It's also not as good a use of Avion points as it is to convert them to BA Avios points when they have conversion bonus promotions on.
I did this about 8 or 10 years ago. It was good at first and I scored a few trips to LHR in business and first, but then the availability of flights from Canada became almost zero. I finally burned the last of my BA points on a hotel last year.
tcook052 and smilee like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I did this about 8 or 10 years ago. It was good at first and I scored a few trips to LHR in business and first, but then the availability of flights from Canada became almost zero. I finally burned the last of my BA points on a hotel last year.
You're not wrong about BA's award booking availability problems lately. Avios points were useful to have back when Cathay Pacific connected through YVR on its former HKG - JFK route. There was usually lots of availability for award bookings in Business and First and it was great to fly within North America on a wide body plane with an international class cabin configuration. Funnily enough, I've been using my Avios points for hotels too. I used some in Dublin in September for a completely cashless award stay (the hotel didn't even ask for a cc at check-in).
pokee likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by tjk1976
You're not wrong about BA's award booking availability problems lately. Avios points were useful to have back when Cathay Pacific connected through YVR on its former HKG - JFK route. There was usually lots of availability for award bookings in Business and First and it was great to fly within North America on a wide body plane with an international class cabin configuration. Funnily enough, I've been using my Avios points for hotels too. I used some in Dublin in September for a completely cashless award stay (the hotel didn't even ask for a cc at check-in).
I've flown that CP flight YVR-JFK a few times, and i was devastated when they killed it. It was always so easy to get award tickets on that flight, and it was so convenient flying direct from YVR. Amazing service, too.

Now I use my Avios to fly direct (one segment only!) from SEA on AS. Availability is still decent. It's a long drive from YVR, but I like to make a fun trip of it and leave the day before and go shopping on my way down. But time constraints lately have me wanting to fly out of YVR again, and the value isn't there with Avios when you have to connect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.