Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Platinum onboard greeting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

Around the same time as the 787s were introduced, WS rolled out a fantastic addition to their soft product.

Platinum (and, I think, Gold) guests were personally greeted by the lead FA when flying Premium on any aircraft -- and J on the 787s. It was super impressive ... and such a nice touch. As silly as it may sound, it made me feel incredibly valued and made an otherwise generic airplane seat feel like "home". At zero cost to WestJet.

Each and every time when flying PE or J, the FA in the cabin would introduce themselves by name. They'd greet me by name. And offer a sincere and elegant recognition of my status and how much WestJet valued my business. They didn't follow a script, but it was consistent -- and always so thoughtful and professional.

It was clearly intentional. It was a thoughtful program that someone had developed, launched and rolled out to the cabin crews.

That seems to be (mostly) gone now.

On a recent YYC-DTW flight in Premium, I experienced it again. The FA was awesome and so incredibly professional. She introduced herself, called me by name, and thanked me for being a loyal WestJet customer -- referencing my Platinum status in a nice way. She addressed me by name every time she came through the cabin. She even touched on it again during deplaning saying "Thank you again Mr. FlyerJ. I know we'll be seeing you again soon." It was so nice. Just a wonderful experience, thanks to that relatively simple interaction.

On all of my other flights on that same route, though, nothing. Noticeable in its absence after that one great experience. No greeting, no introduction, no being called by name. Just a "whattaya want to drink, whattaya want to eat" kind of Premium service without any additional interaction.

More recently on flights to/from Narita in Premium, it was also noticeably absent. Rather than the great acknowledgement that happened pre-pandemic, it was a really, really watered down version. Something along the lines of, "Hi, I'm 'Susan'. I'll be taking care of you today. Because you're Platinum, I'm supposed to take your food order first. What do you want to eat?"

Pre-pandemic, it was consistent, and it was awesome. My only great experience so far in 2023 was on that one YYC-DTW flight.

Did it go away?

If so, why? It was so effective, and it costs WestJet absolutely nothing.
V1213, Deaner and jimsthe1 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
I notice the same. I was AC Super Elite for a few years and they always did a great job with the personal welcome, thank you, concierge, meal orders, etc. Then I switched to WJ as Platinum and noticed they did the same but not to the same level. Over the past year on many flights in J or PE this has gone away. Like you say, it is free and was well received by a loyal customer so is odd they pulled back.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Marriott Titanium, WS Gold
I'm with you on this - I would get the occasional platinum greeting in J on the 787, and once I received the platinum greeting in PY on a 737 flight from IAH to YYC.

Today on a 787 flight in PY and was greeted with "Have you flown with us in premium before?" as opposed to the (misplaced?) expectation of some mention or thanks of status.

It is such a minor part of the experience but the inconsistency perhaps a little frustrating.
FlyerJ, V1213 and Fisch like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.