Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changing Basic Fare Flight - Health related

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2023, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi there!

I have a WJ flight from Edinburgh to Calgary booked for the beginning of August. I was going to book a connecting flight from Calgary to Ottawa but have been holding off on that.

I have been in Europe for the last 15 ish days and I am here for another 18 days. Unfortunately, my mental health has been incredibly horrible since being here. It wasn't in a great place prior and has continued to deteriorate during this time. I've experienced non-stop anxiety, panic attacks, fits of crying amongst other things - something that has never happened to me before during travels.

Now here is where I messed up. I bought a basic fare ticket instead. I start graduate school in September and in hopes of saving money, I cheapened out because why would I need to change my flight from Europe. I now want to rush home because my health but West Jet (understandably) has declined to change my ticket. Can someone please tell me if there Is anything I can do? I only have travel insurance for health stuff and not travel stuff. Again, I am aware this is all my fault but I am really not well and just want to go home. I cannot afford to buy a whole new ticket and lose my money so I know my options aren't the best.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2023, 4:28 am
Suspended

Any update? I am new here.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Don't believe there's anything that can be done as the Basic fare rules are very well laid out and you agreed to accept them so wouldn't expect WS to easily agree to waive them unless you're able to document your mental health challenges by way of clinic visit slips or prescription medication issued by a physician and beg them to allow a one-time goodwill date change or buy-up to Econo for change fee + fare difference for new travel date. Absent any proof however I can't see WS agreeing to allowing a change so it may be an expensive life lesson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.