Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet wifi, Boingo, WE Mastercard...anyone know the straight scoop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I've scoured this forum and the internet trying to get a straight answer to whether World Elite Mastercard holders (NOT just the RBC Westjet World Elite MC holders) get complimentary access to Westjet's in-flight wifi. Some sources say yes, others say no. Does anyone know for sure (i.e. has actually accomplished this on a flight recently?)
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:12 pm

My Tangerine World Mastercard works for getting a Boingo account that works on WestJet wifi.
Verify your card here:
https://support.boingo.com/s/article...oingo-benefits
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cgyroof
My Tangerine World Mastercard works for getting a Boingo account that works on WestJet wifi.
Verify your card here:
https://support.boingo.com/s/article...oingo-benefits
Thanks, I already have a Boingo account set up for my Rogers WE MC. Are you saying you've actually used the Boingo account via your Tangerine card to access Westjet wifi?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:04 pm

I am so sorry, I can't remember if I used my Boingo account created with WestJet or the Boingo created with my relatively new Tangerine card the last time I flew.

I just know, I use a Boingo login to get access to WestJet wifi on board.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I am not sure if it is on your specific World Elite Mastercard as I do not have that one.

However as the OP mentions the RBC Westjet MC does give free Boingo that you can use for free on Westjet flights.

As well many other Mastercard products include free BOINGO. My free BRIM 0$ Mastercard has free Boingo that I have been using for years.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:42 pm

Westjet inflight wifi works with all Boingo accounts, not just the Westjet RBC Mastercard.
I access it through a BMO product, no problem signing on on board.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:26 pm

For those that don’t have free Boingo, and have purchased a seat in Premium or Business, is there a way to access internet for free (eg: voucher, etc)?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy
For those that don’t have free Boingo, and have purchased a seat in Premium or Business, is there a way to access internet for free (eg: voucher, etc)?
In all of my purchased Premium or Business travel, I've never been offered free wifi of any sort (although that's also irrelevant in my case as I do have a non-WestJet MC which gets me the free Boingo access).
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: skyteam
Beginning March 9, 2023, access will no longer be unlimited: World Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard cardholders will have 12 times per annum for 90 minutes each session.

However, the amount of data will no longer be limited.

Once the sessions are exhausted, you will have to wait until January 1 to get 12 new sessions.

Note that these changes only affect Wi-Fi on board aircraft (not Wi-Fi service on the ground).

This is clearly bad news for frequent flyers who will quickly exceed the 12 annual 90-minute sessions (especially on long-haul flights: 2 or 3 trips will be enough to prevent future accesses).
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
Beginning March 9, 2023, access will no longer be unlimited: World Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard cardholders will have 12 times per annum for 90 minutes each session.

Once the sessions are exhausted, you will have to wait until January 1 to get 12 new sessions.

Note that these changes only affect Wi-Fi on board aircraft (not Wi-Fi service on the ground).

This is clearly bad news for frequent flyers who will quickly exceed the 12 annual 90-minute sessions (especially on long-haul flights: 2 or 3 trips will be enough to prevent future accesses).
Is this a Westjet initiated limitation or by Boingo or by MasterCard?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:05 pm

This looks to be a Boingo change affecting the 26 airlines that currently have the service available: https://milesopedia.com/en/news/mast...-wifi-changes/
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon

Well that's certainly disappointing. I take it that you can use more than one session per trip? So if I have a three-hour flight, I can use one session for 90 minutes, then when that ends, immediately start another 90-minute session, so that would use a total of 2 out of my 12 allotted sessions per year?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm not sure how many people were even aware this benefit existed, probably because it was introduced and advertised a couple months into the lockdown.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: skyteam
Mastercard and Boingo
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by canadave
Well that's certainly disappointing. I take it that you can use more than one session per trip? So if I have a three-hour flight, I can use one session for 90 minutes, then when that ends, immediately start another 90-minute session, so that would use a total of 2 out of my 12 allotted sessions per year?
In short, yes.

X-post alert:

I just called their customer service to inquire about this new "enhancement". It's worse than it might seem at first because it's really not even time based, it's connection based.

That is, if I connect three times for 30 minutes on a flight, that's not one connection for 90 minutes, that's three connections out of my 12 in a calendar year.

I encourage everyone to call their customer service line and ask them to explain the enhancement then ask that your call be escalated to their tier 2 people.

United States - toll Free: ‎ ‎+1 800-377-5515

Canada - toll Free: ‎ +1 800-377-5515

A complete list of their numbers is here: https://redeem.boingo.com/mcsi/contact-us/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.