Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

YEG airport refused to accept Gold status Priority at CATSA baggage inspection lineup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YEG airport refused to accept Gold status Priority at CATSA baggage inspection lineup

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: westjet

When checking in online for a Westjet flight and with my Westjet Gold Status their website has a notice that states "make sure you use the Priority Line" for CATSA baggage inspection. Well on August 1st leaving Edmonton I was stopped when trying to enter the Priority Lineup and although my printed boarding pass said "Gold" the CATSA agent stated "we don't care that your boarding pass has gold on it that is for the airlines use but means nothing to us; if "Priority" is not printed on your boarding pass you must lineup thru the normal lines.

My understanding is that with Gold Status one of the perks is being able to use the Priority lines especially when it is busy at the airport.Westjet should get this straightened out with Edmonton Airport.

I tried to email Westjet my concern but the "email us" contact page defaults to concerns about Westjet Vacations which has nothing to do with my concern.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Clifford Paulson
When checking in online for a Westjet flight and with my Westjet Gold Status their website has a notice that states "make sure you use the Priority Line" for CATSA baggage inspection. Well on August 1st leaving Edmonton I was stopped when trying to enter the Priority Lineup and although my printed boarding pass said "Gold" the CATSA agent stated "we don't care that your boarding pass has gold on it that is for the airlines use but means nothing to us; if "Priority" is not printed on your boarding pass you must lineup thru the normal lines.

My understanding is that with Gold Status one of the perks is being able to use the Priority lines especially when it is busy at the airport.Westjet should get this straightened out with Edmonton Airport.

I tried to email Westjet my concern but the "email us" contact page defaults to concerns about Westjet Vacations which has nothing to do with my concern.
Where were you flying to? If to a US destination, WS Golds do not get priority security at YEG.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/airpor...rity-screening

Airports offering priority security screening
Flights to Canadian cities U.S. cities International cities

Calgary, AB Yes No Yes
Edmonton, AB Yes No Yes
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: westjet
No the flight was domestic Edmonton to Calgary then with a connection to Phoenix Az.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Many airports require a “priority” stamp of some sort on a physical, paper boarding pass to use the priority lane.

Airport security guards understandably have no way of discerning which of WestJet’s four tier levels … Air Canada’s six tier levels … Delta’s five tiers … American’s five … and so on … get “priority lane” access.

And it gets even more confusing factoring in that alliances extend benefits across airlines — so they’d even have to determine (and train all of their people on) benefits for Star Alliance, One World and SkyTeam.

And some carriers offer priority security access to premium credit card holders, too.

It would be insanely complex to have a large group of third party security guards figure that all out. Hence the frequent need for a paper pass with a single, consistent stamp (ie consistent for each airport) on it.

Heck, each airline’s staff sometimes have a hard time figuring out benefits for their own customers. It’s crazily complex, which is why each airline has grids and charts and cheat sheets showing who-gets-access-to-what (with priority security being just one of them).

There’s no way to expect all CATSA or TSA security guards to be able to figure all of that at, and “police” it at the entrance to the security lanes, and keep it moving quickly.

If you want express lane access and don’t have NEXUS, stop and get a paper boarding pass and ask the agent for the stamp.
mxqisit likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Many airports require a “priority” stamp of some sort on a physical, paper boarding pass to use the priority lane.

Airport security guards understandably have no way of discerning which of WestJet’s four tier levels … Air Canada’s six tier levels … Delta’s five tiers … American’s five … and so on … get “priority lane” access.

And it gets even more confusing factoring in that alliances extend benefits across airlines — so they’d even have to determine (and train all of their people on) benefits for Star Alliance, One World and SkyTeam.

And some carriers offer priority security access to premium credit card holders, too.

It would be insanely complex to have a large group of third party security guards figure that all out. Hence the frequent need for a paper pass with a single, consistent stamp (ie consistent for each airport) on it.

Heck, each airline’s staff sometimes have a hard time figuring out benefits for their own customers. It’s crazily complex, which is why each airline has grids and charts and cheat sheets showing who-gets-access-to-what (with priority security being just one of them).

There’s no way to expect all CATSA or TSA security guards to be able to figure all of that at, and “police” it at the entrance to the security lanes, and keep it moving quickly.

If you want express lane access and don’t have NEXUS, stop and get a paper boarding pass and ask the agent for the stamp.
I don't disagree with this, but many airports simply have a sign by the priority lane that lists all the different airlines and statuses, plus credit cards, that provide access. That makes it easy for security agents to figure out what is what. My recollection of going through YUL is that they have easily discernable information at the priority lane, for example. We were wondering at LHR whether or not we got Fast Track security when we flew in WS PE, but the sign by the lane did not have WS Premium listed so we just walked on by. At LGW, it is noted so we go through Fast Track there.

I don't know how standard such systems are, but the last few airports outside Canada we have flown through it was really clear if you did or did not qualify (NUE, for example). A big sign had all the relevant statuses listed. I have not flown out of YEG in years and years so have no idea how it is set up. In any case, I assume that it is up to the airline to set things up so there is no ambiguity for passengers. When we went transferred at YYZ a few weeks back off KL onto WS we had very little time due to a delay and needed to see the WS agent just prior to exiting the customs secure area to fix a BP issue: she very clearly told us exactly where to go and what to look for to get through the priority lane, and that lane was an automated one so if you had the wrong BP it would not let you in. A good system as far as I am concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.