Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet Group introduces comprehensive COVID-19 testing program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

This appears similar to AC’s partnership with Switch Health for do-it-yourself travel testing kits … plus an online portal to verify test results before flight.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...9-testing-prog

Approved self-administered test kits and expansive AZOVA network of in person testing locations for easy and convenient testing across most WestJet and Swoop destinations

Easy-to-use self-testing options also available for convenient and quick results that can be taken with guests and used in any destination to meet pre-entry PCR requirements

“Once you have received your test results, enter your AZOVA Credential ID into the AZOVA WestJet and Swoop site and receive a travel clearance on the AZOVA app for your destination. You can simply show your travel clearance at the gate with no paperwork and no confusing forms required.”

I love that they’re doing the online “travel clearance” … that will help alleviate lines at WestJet check-in locations outside of Canada — a great development.

Fortunately it looks like that portal will work with any legit testing provider, so you’re not limited to using AZOVA’s test kits. (That’s good news for people - like me - who have already stocked up on the LAMP tests from Switch Health via AC.)
airkapper and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

The do-it-yourself testing kit for inbound-to-Canada is the Lucira LAMP test … identical to the one that Switch Health has been selling via Air Canada for a month or so.

https://www.azova.com/westjetswoop/a...e_url_id=46131

I’ve used them for two U.S. to Canada flights, and found them super easy and convenient to use. Log on to a video call, perform the swab yourself in front of a nurse, and get an emailed lab result (compliant with Canadian requirements) in about 30 minutes. All without leaving your hotel room.
airkapper and Symmetre like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 6:23 pm

This definitely has potential. Curiously, on the Azova site they state that results will be available between 24 and 72 hours for a PCR test. Since you have to have the test done no more than 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure time for a return to Canada it makes no sense to me to have a possible result in 72 hours.

Also, when I clicked on the various links for travel to Canada, when I selected a return from the UK they list PCR and antigen tests as options. When you read closely, it does state the antigen test is for a day 2 test, which is a UK arrivals test. It should not come up as a return to Canada option. It could be confusing for those who are not up on their testing requirements.

Definitely a promising service but the website info needs a little work.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arf04
This definitely has potential. Curiously, on the Azova site they state that results will be available between 24 and 72 hours for a PCR test. Since you have to have the test done no more than 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure time for a return to Canada it makes no sense to me to have a possible result in 72 hours.

….

Definitely a promising service but the website info needs a little work.

They’re selling two different options for flights inbound to Canada.

The CBSA/PHAC requirement is that it be a “molecular” test, and both of these options from AZOVA are compliant.

Those two test-yourself options that AZOVA is selling through this WestJet program are:
  1. RT-PCR test, where you have to courier your nasal swab into a lab (!!!) … and you get your results 24 to 48 hours after the lab receives it. BAD IDEA. Please, nobody do this!
  2. Lucira Check-It LAMP test, where you do your own swab, put the swab into a small vial, then into a little measuring device that comes with the kit, and you get your results in 11 to 30 minutes. That’s great! (And these *do* meet the Canadian entry requirements.)

Edited to add … AZOVA’s website confuses me. I came across one page that says that both the LAMP and PCR tests only ship to U.S. addresses — which would render the program pointless for Canadians. But after re-reading WestJet’s press release, I saw that they are supposed to ship to Canada — and found a different AZOVA page saying they *will* ship them to Canada. Confusing!

As long as they will ship their kits to Canada:
(1) get the LAMP version for your return-to-Canada test,
(2) buy before you leave home, and take them with you, and
(3) always take at least one extra test kit as a spare. (Some will inevitably fail, or you might get a false positive. AZOVA says they’re accurate 97% of the time. You don’t want to be in the 3% without an extra test kit!)

And agreed on AZOVA’s website in general. They’ve tried to make it informative but, wow, it ended up being super complicated. If getting the required clearance to fly is as complicated as the rest of their site, methinks they’re going to frustrate and confuse a lot of passengers.
arf04 and Symmetre like this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Nov 27, 2021 at 1:56 am
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
They’re selling two different options for flights inbound to Canada.

The CBSA/PHAC requirement is that it be a “molecular” test, and both of these options from AZOVA are compliant.

Those two test-yourself options that AZOVA is selling through this WestJet program are:
  1. RT-PCR test, where you have to courier your nasal swab into a lab (!!!) … and you get your results 24 to 48 hours after the lab receives it. BAD IDEA. Please, nobody do this!
  2. Lucira Check-It LAMP test, where you do your own swab, put the swab into a small vial, then into a little measuring device that comes with the kit, and you get your results in 11 to 30 minutes. That’s great! (And these *do* meet the Canadian entry requirements.)

Edited to add … AZOVA’s website confuses me. I came across one page that says that both the LAMP and PCR tests only ship to U.S. addresses — which would render the program pointless for Canadians. But after re-reading WestJet’s press release, I saw that they are supposed to ship to Canada — and found a different AZOVA page saying they *will* ship them to Canada. Confusing!

As long as they will ship their kits to Canada:
(1) get the LAMP version for your return-to-Canada test,
(2) buy before you leave home, and take them with you, and
(3) always take at least one extra test kit as a spare. (Some will inevitably fail, or you might get a false positive. AZOVA says they’re accurate 97% of the time. You don’t want to be in the 3% without an extra test kit!)

And agreed on AZOVA’s website in general. They’ve tried to make it informative but, wow, it ended up being super complicated. If getting the required clearance to fly is as complicated as the rest of their site, methinks they’re going to frustrate and confuse a lot of passengers.

The website is definitely a mess. I just had another look at their website and when I click through to UK —> Canada page they give me this text:

“Approved in-person testing for travel to Canada

The following tests are available for purchase in United Kingdom. ” This is followed by purchase links for PCR and Antigen tests. Above that text, they do state which tests are ok for entry to Canada, and they do have that right, but it sure would be easy for someone who wasn’t completely up on the requirements to get it wrong.

Having been to London twice recently, I can’t see using Azova simply because it is easy to get testing in London and prices are comparable. I could see its utility for other places I’m not familiar with but they really do need to clean up their website.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 1:00 pm

If you are going to the UK, the cheapest and fairly easy way to get a PCR fit-to-fly test is to use one of the many drive-through PCR test locations. In Oct I used the Eurofins Warrington one that is near the M6 if you are going north (special £20 price for the UK Day 2 PCR test when we used it, seems to be £40 now for fit-to-fly test) and we used the Gatwick ExpressTest location for the return to Canada PCR test at £59. Both locations gave the best price if you pre-booked online ahead of time and Eurofins emailed the test result within 12 hrs, ExpressTest within 18 hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.