Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't WestJet offer a fully refundable fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k

I don't fault AC for not giving refunds to passengers in COVID for those who didn't buy refundable fares - but AC is now offering fully refundable fares in Comfort. WS still offers nothing - yes you can avoid change fees with EconoFlex within Canada but it's not refundable and no fare you can buy is. It would sure be nice these days
zappy312 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold
The premium flex and business flex fares are fully refundable and have existed for quite some time.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wzzy22
The premium flex and business flex fares are fully refundable and have existed for quite some time.
OK, a refundable economy fare then ;-)
cirrusdragoon and wzzy22 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I don't fault AC for not giving refunds to passengers in COVID for those who didn't buy refundable fares - but AC is now offering fully refundable fares in Comfort. WS still offers nothing - yes you can avoid change fees with EconoFlex within Canada but it's not refundable and no fare you can buy is. It would sure be nice these days
I fault AC for not giving refunds to passengers for flights that AC itself cancelled. Passengers in those cases are entitled by law to full refunds for services they paid but the provider failed to provide, regardless of the fare rules of the purchased ticket.

It's like a concert/show tickets. They are generally non-refundable but if the event is cancelled, everyone who bought tickets for it is entitled to a refund.
Bogwoppit, tecate55 and Brendan like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
I fault AC for not giving refunds to passengers for flights that AC itself cancelled. Passengers in those cases are entitled by law to full refunds for services they paid but the provider failed to provide, regardless of the fare rules of the purchased ticket.

It's like a concert/show tickets. They are generally non-refundable but if the event is cancelled, everyone who bought tickets for it is entitled to a refund.
Marc Garneau disagrees with you ;-)

Buy refundable fares.
aerobod likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:25 pm

Marc Garneau disagrees with you ;-)

Buy refundable fares.
Yeah Garneau is sold to the airlines, that's why he disagrees.

72% of Canadians oppose Transport Minister Marc Garneau’s decision to not force airlines to offer refunds to passengers

I'm not a doormat like some people who support the unscrupulous airline policies. I won't buy refundable fares and pay more just to avoid being screwed and have my rights violated by airlines. I will have the airlines forced to respect my rights because I'm not a pushover.

Service not provided = refunds . No exceptions for any industry or company
tecate55 and Brendan like this.

Last edited by hoipolloi; Jul 23, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:44 pm

Yeah Garneau is sold to the airlines, that's why he disagrees.

72% of Canadians oppose Transport Minister Marc Garneau’s decision to not force airlines to offer refunds to passengers

I'm not a doormat like some people who support the unscrupulous airline policies. I won't buy refundable fares and pay more just to avoid being screwed and have my rights violated by airlines. I will have the airlines forced to respect my rights because I'm not a pushover.

Service not provided = refunds . No exceptions for any industry or company
if that’s what consumer’s want and the regulations are changed to enforce it, then effectively consumers will be paying to make it happen. I would anticipate the cost would be almost the same as the cost of cancellation insurance. Likely about 5% increase in ticket costs to cover the airlines’ increased operating costs to escrow the forward booking income of about 15% of annual revenue.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
if that’s what consumer’s want and the regulations are changed to enforce it, then effectively consumers will be paying to make it happen. I would anticipate the cost would be almost the same as the cost of cancellation insurance. Likely about 5% increase in ticket costs to cover the airlines’ increased operating costs to escrow the forward booking income of about 15% of annual revenue.
sure I will be happy with that. It's like welfare system or collective health insurance: charge more to provide a safety net to protect the vulnerable.

About the trip cancellation insurance: most policies are not paying out. They consider the credit vouchers as refunds https://www.clhia.ca/web/clhia_lp4w_...25853D0063886C
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Or, just don't fly. You always have that option too! If you don't buy a ticket you can't get screwed. Airline passengers want it all - they want to pay nothing for everything.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:12 pm

Or, just don't fly. You always have that option too! If you don't buy a ticket you can't get screwed. Airline passengers want it all - they want to pay nothing for everything.
Airline companies want it all, get paid all the money and provide nothing.

I will actually avoid flying with Canadian airlines. Will use the train or car, or use Aeroplan miles or Westjet dollars accumulated from credit card churning for domestic flights if necessary, but no cash.

For international flights, I will travel only with foreign carriers, who've almost all been refunding clients, even for nonrefundable tickets, for carrier cancelled flights.

You told me earlier to buy refundable tickets, which is contradictory since Westjet doesn't offer refundable economy tickets. So dumb
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms

You told me earlier to buy refundable tickets, which is contradictory since Westjet doesn't offer refundable economy tickets. So dumb
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...481724947358-2
Econo Flex fares within Canada fully refundable.
Econo Flex fares for flights between Canada and somewhere else, there's a fee.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...481724947358-2
Econo Flex fares within Canada fully refundable.
Econo Flex fares for flights between Canada and somewhere else, there's a fee.
EconoFlex are not refundable to original form of payment, only to travel bank credits
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

EconoFlex can be cancelled with no fee but they are not refundable - it goes in your travel bank. Your only option is Premium or Business Flex. Most airlines have a full Y option for refunds (AC is doing it now with an even lower fare).
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
EconoFlex can be cancelled with no fee but they are not refundable - it goes in your travel bank. Your only option is Premium or Business Flex. Most airlines have a full Y option for refunds (AC is doing it now with an even lower fare).
So I stand both corrected and surprised.

Having no "refundable to original form of payment" fare even at a significantly added cost seems to be quite a long way outside normal industry practice.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Refundable fares require overbooking. Otherwise seats may go out empty. WestJet doesn't overbook...so no refundable fares.

I want WS to offer a latitude flight pass with complimentary upgrades to J (or at least premium). They don't, so I fly AC.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.