Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WJ blocking middle seat on upcoming flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium

I subscribe to TripCase and noticed that on the seat plans of future flights all the middle seats have been blocked off. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:26 pm

To maintain social distancing, whenever possible!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:37 pm
Original Member

This includes "lidding" all flights to guarantee middle seats blocked on B737 and B787, and staggered seating on Q400. Won't be sold beyond the capacity which allows this to happen. As well 2-3 rows blocked exclusively for DH crew.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Interesting that this includes even a flight in February, 2021.
We have a number of flights booked. Our next flight is scheduled for June 14 to St. Lucia, not confident it will be a go.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
...and renaming the cabin European Business Class?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
Interesting that this includes even a flight in February, 2021.
Probably when they have some certainty to the restoration of normal service, they will update the seat maps to allow middle seat selection on the flights that are currently blocked. Not many people select middle seats ahead checkin, so it won't have too much of an effect.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a nice enough gesture, but it does not come close to any reasonable "social distancing" recommendation. In a single aisle 3-3 cabin, one person at each window every two rows would barely meet the requirements. With an 18" seat width and adding 4" for the two seat rests, 22" is below one foot.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This is a nice enough gesture, but it does not come close to any reasonable "social distancing" recommendation. In a single aisle 3-3 cabin, one person at each window every two rows would barely meet the requirements. With an 18" seat width and adding 4" for the two seat rests, 22" is below one foot.
Perhaps, but it's better than nothing
Symmetre likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:47 am
Original Poster

D[QUOTE=aerobod;32247463]. Not many people select middle seats ahead checkin, so it won't have too much of an effect.

Actually, don’t many couples choose a window/middle or aisle/middle combination?

I do appreciate the gesture by Westjet. I hope it isn’t too many months before we fly again!

Last edited by Ontariotraveller; Mar 30, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:53 am

I have a flight booked on Apr 7 (will likely cancel when I get around to it) for 5 family members travelling together. We had previously been assigned seats as a family with seats ABC in one row, and AC in the row behind. When I checked the seat assignment today, our row with ABC seats are still together, but the reset of the flight shows all the other middle seats blocked.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Jono
I have a flight booked on Apr 7 (will likely cancel when I get around to it) for 5 family members travelling together. We had previously been assigned seats as a family with seats ABC in one row, and AC in the row behind. When I checked the seat assignment today, our row with ABC seats are still together, but the reset of the flight shows all the other middle seats blocked.
Families still sitting together, especially if there’s a child in the family, due to TC regulations, cannot have children separated from parents/guardians.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
Actually, don’t many couples choose a window/middle or aisle/middle combination?

I do appreciate the gesture by Westjet. I hope it isn’t too many months before we fly again!
My wife and I certainly don’t. We always book window and aisle in the hopes nobody selects the middle seat. If someone gets the middle seat assigned at check in, it’s always easy to get that person to switch with one of us (people are typically grateful to be offered a non-middle), unless we want the separation for a few hours.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
I think it is adequate. The issue is droplets and body fluids. Having this big aluminum/plastic barrier (aka the seat back) in front and and behind you probably provides adequate protection.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think it is adequate. The issue is droplets and body fluids. Having this big aluminum/plastic barrier (aka the seat back) in front and and behind you probably provides adequate protection.
With flight loads at an all time low I’m sure passengers will have the opportunity to spread out even further and possibly even have a whole row to themselves!
Fiordland likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:35 pm

From what I’ve heard:

Q400’s are capped at 33

787’s are capped at 204

737-700’s are capped at 81

737-800’s capped at 108.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.