Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WJ blocking middle seat on upcoming flights

WJ blocking middle seat on upcoming flights

Old Mar 29, 20, 5:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Marriott Titanium
Posts: 154
WJ blocking middle seat on upcoming flights

I subscribe to TripCase and noticed that on the seat plans of future flights all the middle seats have been blocked off. Has anyone else noticed this?
Ontariotraveller is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 887
To maintain social distancing, whenever possible!
YYCguy is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 11:37 pm
  #3  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,596
This includes "lidding" all flights to guarantee middle seats blocked on B737 and B787, and staggered seating on Q400. Won't be sold beyond the capacity which allows this to happen. As well 2-3 rows blocked exclusively for DH crew.
Fisch is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 4:16 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Marriott Titanium
Posts: 154
Interesting that this includes even a flight in February, 2021.
We have a number of flights booked. Our next flight is scheduled for June 14 to St. Lucia, not confident it will be a go.
Ontariotraveller is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 8:14 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Posts: 10,042
...and renaming the cabin European Business Class?
onobond is online now  
Old Mar 30, 20, 8:51 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,284
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller View Post
Interesting that this includes even a flight in February, 2021.
Probably when they have some certainty to the restoration of normal service, they will update the seat maps to allow middle seat selection on the flights that are currently blocked. Not many people select middle seats ahead checkin, so it won't have too much of an effect.
aerobod is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 10:06 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,268
This is a nice enough gesture, but it does not come close to any reasonable "social distancing" recommendation. In a single aisle 3-3 cabin, one person at each window every two rows would barely meet the requirements. With an 18" seat width and adding 4" for the two seat rests, 22" is below one foot.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 10:40 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is a nice enough gesture, but it does not come close to any reasonable "social distancing" recommendation. In a single aisle 3-3 cabin, one person at each window every two rows would barely meet the requirements. With an 18" seat width and adding 4" for the two seat rests, 22" is below one foot.
Perhaps, but it's better than nothing
Symmetre likes this.
wdb1987 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 10:47 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Marriott Titanium
Posts: 154
D[QUOTE=aerobod;32247463]. Not many people select middle seats ahead checkin, so it won't have too much of an effect.

Actually, don’t many couples choose a window/middle or aisle/middle combination?

I do appreciate the gesture by Westjet. I hope it isn’t too many months before we fly again!

Last edited by Ontariotraveller; Mar 30, 20 at 2:19 pm
Ontariotraveller is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 10:53 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 476
I have a flight booked on Apr 7 (will likely cancel when I get around to it) for 5 family members travelling together. We had previously been assigned seats as a family with seats ABC in one row, and AC in the row behind. When I checked the seat assignment today, our row with ABC seats are still together, but the reset of the flight shows all the other middle seats blocked.
Jono is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 11:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I have a flight booked on Apr 7 (will likely cancel when I get around to it) for 5 family members travelling together. We had previously been assigned seats as a family with seats ABC in one row, and AC in the row behind. When I checked the seat assignment today, our row with ABC seats are still together, but the reset of the flight shows all the other middle seats blocked.
Families still sitting together, especially if thereís a child in the family, due to TC regulations, cannot have children separated from parents/guardians.
YYCguy is offline  
Old Mar 30, 20, 9:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YEG
Posts: 3,913
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller View Post
Actually, donít many couples choose a window/middle or aisle/middle combination?

I do appreciate the gesture by Westjet. I hope it isnít too many months before we fly again!
My wife and I certainly donít. We always book window and aisle in the hopes nobody selects the middle seat. If someone gets the middle seat assigned at check in, itís always easy to get that person to switch with one of us (people are typically grateful to be offered a non-middle), unless we want the separation for a few hours.
YYCguy likes this.
YEG USER is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 8:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is a nice enough gesture, but it does not come close to any reasonable "social distancing" recommendation. In a single aisle 3-3 cabin, one person at each window every two rows would barely meet the requirements. With an 18" seat width and adding 4" for the two seat rests, 22" is below one foot.
I think it is adequate. The issue is droplets and body fluids. Having this big aluminum/plastic barrier (aka the seat back) in front and and behind you probably provides adequate protection.
Fiordland is offline  
Old Mar 31, 20, 9:38 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
I think it is adequate. The issue is droplets and body fluids. Having this big aluminum/plastic barrier (aka the seat back) in front and and behind you probably provides adequate protection.
With flight loads at an all time low Iím sure passengers will have the opportunity to spread out even further and possibly even have a whole row to themselves!
Fiordland likes this.
YYCguy is offline  
Old Apr 1, 20, 9:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 791
From what I’ve heard:

Q400’s are capped at 33

787’s are capped at 204

737-700’s are capped at 81

737-800’s capped at 108.
HangTen is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread