Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Refund vs Credit to Travel Bank amid COVID crisis

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:40 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
It's three weeks later and I am yet to receive a response from Marc Garneau in his capacity of either MP or Minister of Transportation. Note this this the same level of attention I would have received from a potted plant.
Did you send it to his parliamentary e-mail or TC e-mail? When I first wrote him, I just used the @parl.gc.ca address, but got an auto-reply that it was only for constituency business (anything else would be ignored) and any e-mails relating to Transport Canada needed to be sent there ([email protected]).

That being said, although I got an auto-reply acknowledging receipt of my e-mail, I've never received a response (2.5 months) and don't expect to.

I've written to my own MP (a Conservative) a couple of times. The first time, never heard anything back. The second time, I did receive a reply and exchanged a couple of e-mails with either the MP or a staffer. The tone was generally supportive, but with a dash of defence for the airlines' conduct - a politician's response. Some folks have posted their correspondence with their MPs over in the similar thread to this one on the AC forum.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Did you send it to his parliamentary e-mail or TC e-mail? When I first wrote him, I just used the @parl.gc.ca address, but got an auto-reply that it was only for constituency business (anything else would be ignored) and any e-mails relating to Transport Canada needed to be sent there ([email protected]).

That being said, although I got an auto-reply acknowledging receipt of my e-mail, I've never received a response (2.5 months) and don't expect to.

I've written to my own MP (a Conservative) a couple of times. The first time, never heard anything back. The second time, I did receive a reply and exchanged a couple of e-mails with either the MP or a staffer. The tone was generally supportive, but with a dash of defence for the airlines' conduct - a politician's response. Some folks have posted their correspondence with their MPs over in the similar thread to this one on the AC forum.
I had exactly the same experience with Garneau. I e-mailed his parliamentary address and got the auto response that told me that for TC issues I should e-mail the other address - which I did. No response after three weeks. I'm not surprised, it's more or less what I expected.

I realize that we all have to do our little bit to get Mr. Garneau his seat on the AC board of directors one day.
dv7834 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Here is the refund schedule.
It's from WestJet's refund policy update which was released this week. I decided against sharing it in a public forum as it might not be kosher.
To which flights does this apply? US/UK only?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:57 am

To which flights does this apply? US/UK only?
Yes, that's correct. "Wholly domestic, European, Caribbean/Mexico" trips are not part of this refund policy yet.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:10 am

Yes, that's correct. "Wholly domestic, European, Caribbean/Mexico" trips are not part of this refund policy yet.
When Canadian the government is taking a hands off approach, the airlines can pick and choose who gets what refund and when - if at all.

There is no consumer protection.

The only arm twisting that is having any effect is USDOT and EU 261 in the UK (which is itself ironic). Canadian Government is having no effect here.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
When Canadian the government is taking a hands off approach, the airlines can pick and choose who gets what refund and when - if at all.

There is no consumer protection.

The only arm twisting that is having any effect is USDOT and EU 261 in the UK (which is itself ironic). Canadian Government is having no effect here.
Sad that the United States and European Union are providing more consumer protection to Canadians in this case than the actual Canadian government.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:34 pm

So most people are probably going to be 3+ months to get their money back, when the US requires them in 7 business days and the EU has a similar timeframe? Not good enough, in my view - justice delayed is justice denied. I know the EU has said they're willing to be a bit flexible on timelines, but that schedule is just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Sad that the United States and European Union are providing more consumer protection to Canadians in this case than the actual Canadian government.
Yup. Write your MP and write Marc Garneau, Minister of Transportation. The only recourse that we, as consumers, currently have is to try to pressure our elected officials to come to our defence instead of the airlines'. Nothing may come of it, but if we do nothing, you can guarantee that the government won't either.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:35 pm

I have a flight FCO > SFO but with connection at YYZ. Does it apply to the whole itinerary or just the YYZ>SFO leg?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Actually not even the EU at this point - it's the US of A and the British CAA. I really wonder what the CAA has told them (or has in their regulation wording) that has encouraged WS to refund journeys that include the UK but not, for instance, CDG or FCO, or DUB.
So most people are probably going to be 3+ months to get their money back, when the US requires them in 7 business days and the EU has a similar timeframe? Not good enough, in my view - justice delayed is justice denied. I know the EU has said they're willing to be a bit flexible on timelines, but that schedule is just ridiculous.
Yup

Originally Posted by herquiethands
I have a flight FCO > SFO but with connection at YYZ. Does it apply to the whole itinerary or just the YYZ>SFO leg?
I believe if the the YYZ SFO leg was cancelled by WS the whole itinerary would be eligible for refund.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Here is the refund schedule.
Please explain the PNR statuses of UN, UC and NO
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
Please explain the PNR statuses of UN, UC and NO
https://support.travelport.com/webhe...atus_Codes.htm
Old Jun 13, 2020, 9:01 pm

I find code DX very intriguing
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:14 am

Might have something to do with married segment logic.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Went online and requested a call back yesterday, 676 minutes. They called after only 260 minutes.
They processed refunds for our US trips that were cancelled in April, $6,195.
The agent asked if I had received an email which I hadn't. Just said that I know that June 16th is the day refunds can be processed for flights in early April.

Thank you once again FT and in particular YYCL3 in this case.
YYCCL3 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by taupo
Went online and requested a call back yesterday, 676 minutes. They called after only 260 minutes.
They processed refunds for our US trips that were cancelled in April, $6,195.
The agent asked if I had received an email which I hadn't. Just said that I know that June 16th is the day refunds can be processed for flights in early April.

Thank you once again FT and in particular YYCL3 in this case.
I'm surprised they processed the refund without you having received the e-mail. I had a cancelled transborder flight in March 2020. Despite calling on two occasions, both agents refused to process the refund until I receive the email in question. Even after checking and telling me I should qualify for a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.