Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 9:14 pm

Hey glemat in this week's update in the OAG, WS has now pulled all YYC-CDG except for August 20, 27 and September 3. (Schedules beyond September 5 is unchanged). Should hit the booking system within 24 hours.

----

Looks like WS Europe presence out of YYC in August will be 2x weekly LGW, 2x weekly AMS and 1x weekly CDG. (Subject to change).

They also added a random extra YYC-LAX in late July under flight # 1020. Given how good advance bookings for LAS are, I'm surprised they didn't opt for additional flights there.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
I’ve booked a YYC-CDG mid-October so I can run a marathon in Paris. With the constant changes, I’m uncertain if it will fly. Hedged my bets and got a connecting aeroplan flight just in case.

I’m not familiar with WS basic fare. My understanding is that seats are assigned at checkin but they are saying seat 9A is assigned to me which is a bulkhead? Is that right?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
I’ve booked a YYC-CDG mid-October so I can run a marathon in Paris. With the constant changes, I’m uncertain if it will fly. Hedged my bets and got a connecting aeroplan flight just in case.

I’m not familiar with WS basic fare. My understanding is that seats are assigned at checkin but they are saying seat 9A is assigned to me which is a bulkhead? Is that right?
Yes

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/We...eing_787-9.php
Old Jun 26, 2021, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Hey glemat in this week's update in the OAG, WS has now pulled all YYC-CDG except for August 20, 27 and September 3. (Schedules beyond September 5 is unchanged). Should hit the booking system within 24 hours.
Thanks for the heads-up @hollywoodcory17. Several days ago I tried to rebook my flights to 8/20 but the fare was significantly higher. I was also reassured that both my flights on the 25th were definitely going that day, and was told that the reason they didn't currently show up on the schedule was because they were sold out.

I do believe in fairies, I do! I do!
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:26 pm

SJD got canned for August in this week's update, however HNL / BNA / NAS & CDG are still scheduled to resume at some point in August. I think (although don't hold it against me) the full August update should come next week.

Originally Posted by glemat
Thanks for the heads-up @hollywoodcory17. Several days ago I tried to rebook my flights to 8/20 but the fare was significantly higher. I was also reassured that both my flights on the 25th were definitely going that day, and was told that the reason they didn't currently show up on the schedule was because they were sold out.

I do believe in fairies, I do! I do!
Were the they able to re-accommodate you to the 20th or offer you a suitable solution? Advance bookings for those three flights they've left are actually not bad which tells me the route may still go ahead. They also reduced September / October from daily to 5x weekly.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 2:17 pm

Were the they able to re-accommodate you to the 20th or offer you a suitable solution? Advance bookings for those three flights they've left are actually not bad which tells me the route may still go ahead. They also reduced September / October from daily to 5x weekly.
Yes, I called yet again and this time got a terrific rep and ultimately was rebooked on Aug 20. The CDG-FCO leg that WS had put me on after cancelling their Rome service didn't show up in the system during this call but I knew the same AF flight was available on the 21st, so after talking to a higher-up the rep was able to rebook that final leg.

I still find the misinformation I received days earlier puzzling but I'll add that to the list and just be grateful (and hopeful) for the 20th. On the Aug 27 YYC-CDG flight, only economy is bookable, so is it just me or is that odd?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by glemat
Yes, I called yet again and this time got a terrific rep and ultimately was rebooked on Aug 20. The CDG-FCO leg that WS had put me on after cancelling their Rome service didn't show up in the system during this call but I knew the same AF flight was available on the 21st, so after talking to a higher-up the rep was able to rebook that final leg.

I still find the misinformation I received days earlier puzzling but I'll add that to the list and just be grateful (and hopeful) for the 20th. On the Aug 27 YYC-CDG flight, only economy is bookable, so is it just me or is that odd?
Glad to hear. I imagine the call centre agents know just as much as we do we comes to schedule changes but they shouldn't have made any promises they know they can't keep.

August 27th J & W class are both legit sold out. This gives me some confidence that the route could actually happen?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:17 pm

In tonight's OAG update, they've filed the modified schedule through September 7. Several routes got increased to daily including YYC-LAX/ATL. YYC-LAS is up to something like 10-11x weekly!

Here are the planned routes that I've found so far: Bolded are routes not currently flying.
YYC-LGW 2x weekly
YYC-AMS 2x weekly
YYC-CDG (From Aug 20) 1x weekly
YYC-CUN 1x weekly
YYC-PVR 1x weekly
YYZ-LGW 4x weekly
YYZ-CUN 2x weekly
YYZ-KIN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly
YYZ-NAS 1x weekly
YVR-LGW 1x weekly

YYC-LAX 1x daily
YYC-LAS Up to 11x weekly
YYC-PHX Up to 1x daily
YYC-SFO 2x weekly
YYC-PSP Up to 5x weekly
YYC-ATL 1x daily
YYZ-MCO Up to 5x weekly
YYZ-BNA 2x weekly
YVR-LAX Up to 5x weekly
YVR-LAS Up to 4x weekly
YVR-OGG 2x weekly
YVR-HNL 1x weekly
cirrusdragoon and V1213 like this.

Last edited by hollywoodcory17; Jul 10, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC, DL, AS
Will routes be restored

Do we think routes will be restored if the border closure is lifted on July 21? Just noticed that LAX/YYZ got killed
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by virtualawrence
Do we think routes will be restored if the border closure is lifted on July 21? Just noticed that LAX/YYZ got killed
No doubt. Border closure is a major factor in many route cancelations.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:08 pm

Looks like YVR-LGW is going to be short lived, with a whopping 5 total roundtrips in August as it appears to be removed in September and October. (Unless there was a scheduling update error).

YYC-CDG now shows 1x weekly until the end of October.

With it sounding like vaccinated foreigners will allowed in soon, I wonder if they'll finally move away from month-to-month schedule changes.

Most of the Transborder routes seem to be getting pretty decent bookings.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Travel rules relaxed; Americans can enter as of Aug 9

Based on today's announcement (fully-vaccinated Americans can enter Canada for leisure travel starting Aug 9) ... when is the earliest that we might see WestJet increase their cross-border frequencies?

I'm particularly intrigued by what will happen to/from YYC. Air Canada appears to have essentially abandoned transborder in Calgary, and their 'good news' announcement that followed today's update from the feds seemed like their restart focus would by on YYZ, YUL annd YVR. (They've dropped everything except for YYC-PHX through the fall.) United also issued an annoucement this afternoon that mentioned their optimism for Canada and their current US-Canada sked ... and added that "In September, United will add additional flights to Toronto and Vancouver."

How quickly might WS add crossborder volumes ex YYC, and resume service to destinations that they dropped?

With current demand being almost entirely for leisure travel (and leisure travel season effectively ending on Labour Day), how likely is it that they'll want to add quickly versus hold off until business travel starts to resume?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:46 pm

WestJet has already planned to ramp up its Transborder network out of YYC in August with daily flights to Los Angeles and Atlanta and more than daily service to Las Vegas and Phoenix. They also increased frequency to San Francisco and Palm Springs. I'm also assuming AC might too also add back other routes, as originally even PHX was dropped from YYC through the Fall.

I guess they could add additional flights to those destinations and maybe add back SAN or DEN? JFK and IAH I imagine will come later.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:00 pm

Just noticed they stopped showing my flight on their website as bookable yet they haven't sent a cancellation or rebooking notice yet. Shall I wait or proactively call them to change and wait hours in line?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Most of the Transborder routes seem to be getting pretty decent bookings.
I'm curious as to whether the YEG-LAX non-stop returns as I'm booked for this route in early Oct.with an onward DL connection.

This route was a mainstay for ages and beloved for Disneyland bound vacationers and know Edm Airports Auth. is making reinstating as many transborder & int. routes as possible a top priority but can't help expect WS would just as soon funnel YEG pax through YYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.