Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Suspending all TB and INTL (commercial) flying

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:23 pm

https://www.cohor.org/wp-content/upl...S-WebCohor.pdf

According to the CDG S21 SOS report, WS has 92 slots. I believe this is enough to operate 2x weekly for about 10 weeks. (Maybe July-September) which would be similar to the short operating season they ran last summer.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
https://www.cohor.org/wp-content/upl...S-WebCohor.pdf

According to the CDG S21 SOS report, WS has 92 slots. I believe this is enough to operate 2x weekly for about 10 weeks. (Maybe July-September) which would be similar to the short operating season they ran last summer.
If we had WestJet + AirTransat then it would be around 500 slots. About half the presence of Air Canada.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:10 pm

I was looking at the DUB slots that WS has obtained. It lists that YYC and YHZ are cancelled destinations for DUB, yet it also says that WS has slots serving "ZZJ"...

Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:27 pm

I saw that too, which leads me to believe they kept the slots for cargo purposes (hence no destination listed).

I don't know if they publish slot reports for FCO & BCN. I couldn't find anything, but I'm assuming neither will be served this summer.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
I was looking at the DUB slots that WS has obtained. It lists that YYC and YHZ are cancelled destinations for DUB, yet it also says that WS has slots serving "ZZJ"...

I googled ZZJ and it appears to be some city in China (Zhangjiajie).
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy
I googled ZZJ and it appears to be some city in China (Zhangjiajie).
I thought it was just some error and they would correct it like what happened with slots for Jetblue at LHR. But it has been weeks since the report came out so who knows...
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:25 am

Speaking of LHR, it seems WS returned (at least some of) the slots. They now have the slots from June 1-End of October but I don't expect them to be used at all. (Initially it was from May 1)

I believe they have pax flights to LGW scheduled to resume from May 20th. I believe the May update is coming this weekend.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Full post

WestJet extends sun-flights suspension until June 4

April 13 2021

"WestJet will extend its temporary suspension of international sun flights to destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean until June 4, 2021.

"We are extending our suspension with the clear expectation that as more Canadians are vaccinated, government policy will transition," said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. "We continue to advocate for the replacement of mandatory hotel quarantines with a testing regime that is equitable and consistent with global standards at all points of entry into our country. Alongside an accelerated and successful vaccine rollout, this policy transition will support the safe restart of travel and help stimulate the Canadian economy, where one in ten jobs are tourism related.”

Guests with affected itineraries will be proactively notified of the cancellations. Since November 1, 2020, WestJet has been providing refunds for all travellers, regardless of fare class booked where WestJet initiated the cancellation.

“We remain focused on a long-term solution that will serve the best interests of Canadians,” continued Sims. “A safe travel-restart framework is the most effective way to support those interests and restore jobs.”

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...ter%3A20210413
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:43 pm

WestJet will be down to just 4 destinations outside of Canada in May.

YYC-PSP
YYC-PHX
YYZ-RSW
YYZ-LGW (From May 21)

After June 4, the schedule is still basically pre-COVID. WS is basically the only NA carrier to not at least load a revised international schedule. Still holding out in hopes the border re-opens to Summer travel?
Old Apr 17, 2021, 11:14 am

In this week's update, the first round of Summer cuts have hit. Several routes removed including the following: I also included the previous full season cuts in this list too:

YYC-AUS
YYC-BOS
YYZ-BCN
YYZ-TPA
YYZ-CCC
YYZ-GCM
YYZ-AUA
YYZ-SXM
YYZ-SJO
YYZ-BDA
YYZ-ANU
YYZ-UVF
YHZ-GLA
YHZ-CDG
YHZ-DUB
There is probably more that I've missed.

Surprisingly YYC-FCO/DUB managed to survive, now scheduled from early July. YVR/YHZ-LGW also removed until July 5 too. I'm going to predict WS may leave some additional Transborder/International routes from late June in hopes the border restrictions get lifted, although I still don't see that happening a least until the middle point of Summer.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:12 pm

Calgary-Rome Direct Flights Cancelled

Sadly WS has cancelled their scheduled non-stop service to/from Rome for 2021. I had a reservation in late August LAX-YYC-FCO in business class but learned today of the cancellation. Luckily, they're still flying direct to Paris beginning in early August --so far anyway-- so my routing is now LAX-YYC-CDG-FCO, with the CDG-FCO leg on Air France, arriving in Rome 7 hours later than originally scheduled. I have very little experience with WS, so I do give them credit for a timely notification and a painless change to depart a day earlier.

My return flight Rome to LAX is a business class award ticket on Alitalia, using their own Mille-Miglia miles. So needless to say, the WestJet outbound is the least of my concerns at this point...
Old May 11, 2021, 7:51 am

Yeah, it would seem WS has begun giving up on international travel for Summer. YYC-CDG/DUB have both been removed until early August as well. It does sound like they are resuming some Sun flying in June (CUN / PVR and maybe MBJ) but should know better once the June update finally hits on Friday.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:46 am

Modified schedule is now extended to July 4th.

International Route Resumptions:
YYC-PVR
YYZ-CUN
YYZ-MBJ
All 1x weekly on Saturdays starting June 5

International/US flying still remains pretty minimal. I don't expect much to change until the latter half of Summer unless the border re-opens sooner.

There is a pretty hefty increase in domestic flying towards the end of June. The 789 returns on YYZ-YVR, and a ton of domestic routes resume (on top the previously announced new non-stops). I don't think WS served YXY or YQG last summer? (I could be wrong though) and both are scheduled to resume in June from YYC.

YEG-YHZ is back, but so far no YVR-YHZ.

Full details can be found here:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/domestic-schedule

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flight...ional-schedule
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Thanks for that, @hollywoodcory17
Old May 21, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by glemat
I had a reservation in late August LAX-YYC-FCO in business class but learned today of the cancellation. Luckily, they're still flying direct to Paris beginning in early August --so far anyway-- so my routing is now LAX-YYC-CDG-FCO, with the CDG-FCO leg on Air France, arriving in Rome 7 hours later than originally scheduled.
How much did you pay for that route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.