Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

YVR ITD Delta to Westjet connection - Claim and Re-drop Bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi Flyertalk,

I have an upcoming flight reservation for SEA -> YVR -> YYC. The flights were purchased on a single ticket (from Westjet), but the SEA -> YVR leg will be operated by Delta (codeshare Westjet), and YVR -> YYC will be operated Westjet.

Will my checked luggage be automatically transferred by Delta/Westjet to the YVR -> YYC flight without my involvement? Or will I be required to claim my checked luggage at YVR and re-drop it at a Westjet baggage drop at YVR?

Thanks in advance,

Cobey
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Hard to say. There could be "Quick Connect" or there may not. You may not know until in flight or the gate agent telling you when you arrive.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Hoping to receive input from someone who has made this transfer/connection recently.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by cobey61
Hoping to receive input from someone who has made this transfer/connection recently.
hello just flew delta into yvr and connected to a domestic westjet flight, bag is automatically transferred to westjet flight for you no need to pick it up.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
hello just flew delta into yvr and connected to a domestic westjet flight, bag is automatically transferred to westjet flight for you no need to pick it up.
Thanks for the input! Great to hear.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:57 pm

I believe what YVR Cockroach was saying is that it does not necessarily happen on every flight, even on the same route on different days. No idea what the criteria are for "Quick Connect" but it is certainly not guaranteed until you're informed that your inbound flight is using this service. You will have no way of knowing for certain until you're already onboard the aircraft (or even after you've deplaned - sometimes there will be signage at the end of the bridge, or simply displayed on the monitors in the customs hall).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: skyteam
Thanks for the input! Great to hear.
You are welcome, have a good flight
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
is that it does not necessarily happen on every flight, even on the same route on different days. No idea what the criteria are for "Quick Connect" but it is certainly not guaranteed until you're informed that your inbound flight is using this service. You will have no way of knowing for certain until you're already onboard the aircraft (or even after you've deplaned - sometimes there will be signage at the end of the bridge, or simply displayed on the monitors in the customs hall).
My guess is the passenger manifest is sent to CBSA and if there are any known smugglers or other people of interest who are booked as connecting at the 1st Canadian port of entry, there won't be any Quick Connect. If there aren't, there will be.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
In YYZ FWIW they announce inbound from US and connecting on WS and Delta not to chase their bags as they are sent on. Not AA or other T3 US airlines, so this WS/DL codeshare thing must be common and no reason not in YVR either.

If not what a useless system to have so called "Quick" anything not quick until you scan some list for one day vs. another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.