Wiki Posts
Search

"Introducing milestone award choices"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
"Introducing milestone award choices"

I received this via email today, and the info is currently up on WestJet's website as well:

In addition to status and flight benefits, you are eligible to receive awards for achieving specific qualifying spend milestones during your qualifying year. As of December 9, 2019, all awards issued at $8,000 and above now come with a choice of award options. If eligible, you’ll be notified to make your choice, and you’ll need to choose and use your award before the expiry date, which is one year from the date the milestone is achieved.
The options:

Choice of: WestJet-wide companion voucher, four guest lounge vouchers, or six guest advance seat selection vouchers.
It's a nice idea -- and is similar to the 'choose your own benefits' offering that AC and others have (although other airlines' choice programs, IIRC, are all at time of qualifying for a new status level

I'm intrigued, though, about the perceived value of the different choices. For me, the companion voucher is of huge value, since we use them for family vacations. (This one's better than the RBC MasterCard voucher, because it covers base fare without any fee at all).

The lounge vouchers? No value to me. My Plat status already gets me full access for me plus my family, and I travel solo when flying for business. Plus, I have the Amex Plat card which gives better access and lounge options than WS Plat anyway.

And seat selection? Those would have value, I guess, and six seat vouchers might equate to the value of a companion voucher if used wisely. But seat vouchers don't really seem like a sexy "reward". I see them as a way to avoid a negative thing, rather than something to make me a bigger WS fan.

Interesting as well that there really aren't any fun or creative awards ... they're all just, well, predictable. No new upgrade options as a tier reward (at least not yet), no other 'gift' options.

The details are on this page ... scroll down and click on the Milestone Rewards tab:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/tiers/index
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Yeah, it was a whole bunch of "meh" for me, I can't use my expiring vouchers fast enough, and I really don't need the guest lounge access or seat vouchers.
FlyerJ and Frequentlander like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I travel solo a lot on paid J (where it exists on whatever airline) and Flex Plus in the case of WS (no chance yet to try J) and thus a companion anything is useless, and the fares already include seat selection and my status includes the lounge for me and with no guests that "benefit" that part ranks up with companion vouchers.

I guess it's too complex to think about what kind of passenger spends $8,000 a year or more before coming up with things of little use to frequent high spend business travelers (as one very likely example).

Coming soon, spend $10,000 we give you a pet * onboard at no charge, $12,000 free scuba tank or snowshoe passage (but not golf clubs), etc. Figure out the least useful "gift" for power flyers and offer more of that.

At least the offer is not only good for the next 24 hours like most of them.

*Rental pet available while supplies last. No potbelly pigs.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by ricktoronto

No potbelly pigs.
That's pigist!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I've stopped reading "Rewards" emails from WestJet. I've got a dozen vouchers, the lounges are poor or unavailable, and I get advanced seat selection when I book with my spouse.

I know they are trying but it's a disappointing program.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jkordyback
I know they are trying but it's a disappointing program.
Are they really trying?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Are they really trying?
Honestly, yes. I do think they are.

However it depends on who you are. I’ve flown about 200 flights with WS in the last couple of years. The things that I’ve noticed:

- The Premium customers are either older people with some money in their pocket or energy workers
- Their business model has been flying E/W in the summer and N/S in the winter with seasonal fares - this is great for families and retired customers, less options for non YYC business travel
- The current rewards program is ridiculously easy to qualify for frequent business travellers (Platinum in 2-3 months)
- The rewards for Platinum are suitable for leisure travellers who book Premium fares
- The high end rewards that I got with AC, Delta, Qantas, etc give me better options (business class vacation travel overseas or partner options)
- Lounges, customer support, travel day perks, flight changes, gate and flight experience are better for WS core customers, not me

For someone like me (tech, frequent flyer, non YYC) there are more attractive options. So yes, I think WS is improving but it is geared towards their current Premium customers, not a “business traveller” customer like me. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by jkordyback; Dec 14, 2019 at 10:54 am
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Are they really trying?
It's more of a facade of trying vs. really trying.

Take away the vacation audience where this might sound good but who will never qualify, leaves frequent and business travellers to whom they have created a list of "benefits" they have now, will have anyway or don't want. Or can't use.

What would be trying is to canvass actual passengers who might reasonably hit these milestones and ask them what would be good awards.
jkordyback likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:11 am

I guess the thing that I've been disappointed with is redeeming vacation travel. In a nutshell, we all fly too much so it's nice to book a pleasant vacation for you and your spouse or family. We've all done it. So you're looking at your 8-12 companion passes and a couple of thousand WestJet dollars and you're figuring that you should be able to do something nice with all that. I remember flying in business pods to London with my wife on BA using points - something nice like that.

First of all, you can't use your companion passes for business class travel. Premium economy is the best you can get. You think, I've got a dozen passes so take them all for one nice flight. Nope, nada, no way. Silly for thinking those thoughts, right?

Second, there is a cap to the amount of WestJet dollars you can redeem. Don't ask me why they do that, what the rationale is, or even where the redemption rules are. Your mileage may vary but you can only redeem $800-1200. Basically, the WJ MasterCard gets you vacation travel to Mexico or Cuba, possibly in Premium Economy, on old aircraft.

I went to Barcelona last fall using a pass and WJ dollars. It still cost me ~$1000, flying Premium Economy on an ancient 767, and the overall travel experience was wretched. It's a slightly nicer low cost experience, but it's still "on the cheap" travel. I've tried vacation travel to Europe with WJ a couple of times and it feels like that charter airline vacation you booked when were a student.

I'm going to Loreto for a couple of weeks in March. I could try to use my vouchers and WJ dollars and figure out a route from the west coast down/back. Instead I booked Alaska and paid for it myself. It won't cost that much more, the travel experience will be better, and my wife will be happier. Easy peasy decision.
Frequentlander likes this.

Last edited by jkordyback; Dec 16, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:46 pm

Milestone awards could be more dollars, extension of expiry dates of tiers as more useful examples. Or gifting a lower status to a family member, but the usual tends to be SWUs that have more value than WS upgrades or miles.
jkordyback likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:13 pm

Second, there is a cap to the amount of WestJet dollars you can redeem. Don't ask me why they do that, what the rationale is, or even where the redemption rules are. Your mileage may vary but you can only redeem $800-1200. Basically, the WJ MasterCard gets you vacation travel to Mexico or Cuba, possibly in Premium Economy, on old aircraft.
This is interesting and quite concerning. Can you please point me to where this rule is? I cant find it on the WS site. ....or was this something that you were told over the phone?

I am just about to redeem ~$1200 WS$ so I wan to get my ducks in a row first.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Dec 16, 2019 at 3:18 pm
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
This is interesting and quite concerning. Can you please point me to where this rule is? I cant find it on the WS site. ....or was this something that you were told over the phone?

I am just about to redeem ~$1200 WS$ so I wan to get my ducks in a row first.
I’ve never seen the rule anywhere. When I’ve booked with WJ dollars I’ll put in my whole amount and it limits me. I assume it’s the amount of the base fares, but the amounts never add up - it’s always less. Plus there is always a metric ton of taxes and fees. In a nutshell, I’m always out of pocket a fair amount.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I’ve never seen the rule anywhere. When I’ve booked with WJ dollars I’ll put in my whole amount and it limits me. I assume it’s the amount of the base fares, but the amounts never add up - it’s always less. Plus there is always a metric ton of taxes and fees. In a nutshell, I’m always out of pocket a fair amount.
Indeed, westjet dollars can only be spent on the base fare, not the taxes. Don't know of any other limitations.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Indeed, westjet dollars can only be spent on the base fare, not the taxes. Don't know of any other limitations.
So there is no "you can only spend X WS$ maximum" rule, only a "WS$ applies to base fare only" rule? That makes sense. Sucks but is clear.....
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:43 am

Part of my annoyance is that WSDs can only be applied to base fare but WestJet charges so little base fare.

For their seat sales to Europe, Econo base fare was around $100, additional surcharges was around $300 and then taxes and fees were $200.

Being able to only pay $100 is feeling more and more like Aeroplan... It's even worse for Basic fares where base fare was down to $1 per way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.