Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet inflight WiFi needs to be better

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet inflight WiFi needs to be better

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: skyteam
It most likely due to the fact WestJet does not pay for more bandwidth. It is very clear that yes you can have fast reliable speeds with satellite connectivity in order for example to stream netflix. The airline just needs to spend the money to allow for this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusdragoon
It most likely due to the fact WestJet does not pay for more bandwidth. It is very clear that yes you can have fast reliable speeds with satellite connectivity in order for example to stream netflix. The airline just needs to spend the money to allow for this.
Many individual WestJet Connect users in the past have transferred over 1GB of data in a 4 hour flight from the logs I reviewed a couple of years ago, with a high of 6GB on a 10hr flight. The old Gen 1 modems (which by now should already have been replaced with the up to 400 Mbps Gen 3 modems) were capable of 20Mbps per aircraft. It depends on the number of concurrent users and the real-time availability of bandwidth on a given satellite (which is shared between all providers using the same satellites, whether it is Panasonic or Gogo). WestJet doesn’t buy bandwidth at all, Panasonic fully manages the Internet service for them, as it does for United Ku (not ATG), Emirates, etc, over the same links and ground stations.

Most airlines have the provider block streaming services explicitly at the moment as they don’t generally use efficient video codecs (that may change with general availability of MPEG-5), JetBlue has been an exception in the past due to the nature of the Ka satellite spot beams they used over the Continental US, but that bandwidth wasn’t available in most other places, so has not been used by airlines who fly over much water.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by atsak
Drinking or high or trolling . . .

Net profit at Westjet was 120 million in the last quarter alone, and about to be taken private by Onex, who frankly don't make a lot of bad investment decisions (though there's a few in there along the way)
While we are probably headed to a recession courtesy of our American neighbours IMO, dire economical condition it is not, at the moment.

Back on topic; I think it's a nice thing to have good internet, but I fly a lot with United (70 segments this year) and i can tell you it does not always work well, actually (I fly on CRJ 900's, Airbus 3xx series, 737's and ERJ's and they're all similar). Really would say that at the moment most tech is just good for messaging. That is improving, and Westjet should keep up, but I don't think it's fair to say what they have isn't competitive. Having said that I rarely fly Westjet; but did want to comment on the vs. United comparison the OP made.
I suspect in-flight internet will really take off once Elon Musk completes his satellite constellation. It's going to have global coverage. I suspect latency will be much better. I don't expect any of us to be using that technology until mid-decade at the earliest.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Posted today:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/high-s...-canada-rouge/

I love all of the technical info being shared in this post — interesting (although much is admittedly over my head). My challenge: from what some have said here, WestJet’s wifi is no worse than anyone else’s. But my experience on my Windows laptop, as I mentioned above, is consistently great and reliable on DL and UA and consistently poor and unreliable on WS.
It's interesting that you mentioned DL. I'm assuming DL uses Gogo ATG rather than satellite for North American flights? I have never used satellite internet so I can't compare. I recently flew out of ATL on DL and I used Gogo. It was ok at best. I'm not sure if it's fast enough to stream Netflix. I mostly browsed the web and used messaging on that flight. It still doesn't feel very snappy compared to using Wifi on the ground or even the LTE network if that makes any sense. I can somewhat feel the lag. It's better than nothing though.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:18 pm

From what I understand, WS is working towards upgrading their soft/hardware to hopefully fix the issues that have been happening with laptop access to internet. Streaming services such as Netflix are discouraged on WS Connect Internet but I’m sure people don’t care and do it anyways, thereby making the experience poor for other people that have work to get done.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
From what I understand, WS is working towards upgrading their soft/hardware to hopefully fix the issues that have been happening with laptop access to internet. Streaming services such as Netflix are discouraged on WS Connect Internet but I’m sure people don’t care and do it anyways, thereby making the experience poor for other people that have work to get done.
Although there are many streaming sites that can be accessed, streaming will be spotted through the data stream characteristics and increasingly severe limits are placed on bandwidth use that affects other users, this is basically applied at the ground station by Panasonic’s network management software.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.