Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

A traveller requested a diabetic-friendly meal. WestJet served him a box of potatoes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A traveller requested a diabetic-friendly meal. WestJet served him a box of potatoes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

https://globalnews.ca/news/6194751/w...meal-potatoes/

A British man’s flight home on WestJet went sour when the diabetic-friendly meal he requested didn’t meet expectations.

James Boyle, a British DJ and music producer who goes by the name Breakage, was flying WestJet from Canada to the U.K. when he was served a meal “based solely on carbohydrates and sugar.”

The meal? Potatoes, two ways.

(snip)

Boyle said he was served a similar meal on an earlier trip with WestJet. On that flight, he said he was served a packet of potato chips, a packet of raisins, a banana and a sandwich.

“All of which are extremely dangerous or inedible unless going into hypoglycaemic shock,” he said.

(snip)

The company’s initial response to Boyle was less than apologetic.

“We apologize, but we’re working on rebuilding the inflight meal service, and we encourage guests to bring food from home on board if they like,” the company wrote on Twitter.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:14 am

Inappropriate service and flippant initial response but "dangerous" per the article? Is a diabetic going to eat whatever is served to them that is visibly incorrect? People that have specific health requirements need, and in my experience DO, make sure they have alternatives - at least to mitigate a critical issue to something survivable.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by robsaw
Inappropriate service and flippant initial response but "dangerous" per the article? Is a diabetic going to eat whatever is served to them that is visibly incorrect? People that have specific health requirements need, and in my experience DO, make sure they have alternatives - at least to mitigate a critical issue to something survivable.
I agree to some extent. In this example, clearly the passenger would be able to figure out what they are eating. However generally that is not the case, there is a certain level of trust that is normally required.

If this was a "normal" airline meal with a hot entry, some greens and a desert on a tray it is hard for a passenger to know what is in the sauce or dressing. They are dependent on knowing if it labeled as diabetic appropriate that the sauce is not full of sugar.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:19 am

A Brit who doesn't like potatoes?

I'm calling #FakeNews on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.