Wiki Posts
Search

Swoop cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Swoop cancellations

So there are a bunch of Swoop flight cancellations right now due to "unscheduled maintenance" on two aircraft.
https://www.flyswoop.com/advisories/

If I look here, https://www.flyswoop.com/advisories/, I see lots of info about cancellation policies. A specific one is this for a controllable delay or cancellation (which includes mechanical):
a hotel voucher, one (1) meal voucher and airport transfers if your travel is delayed eight (8) hours or more, and you did not start your air travel at that airport.
My question is this: I'm going to be flying to the GTA in a few weeks from YHZ. YHZ-YYZ will be on Westjet, and YHM-YHZ will be on Swoop. If they had more mechanical problems that day and cancelled my flight, would I be covered for a hotel voucher? Or would I be on my own since I booked two one way tickets on two separate (though related) carriers?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
So there are a bunch of Swoop flight cancellations right now due to "unscheduled maintenance" on two aircraft.
https://www.flyswoop.com/advisories/

If I look here, https://www.flyswoop.com/advisories/, I see lots of info about cancellation policies. A specific one is this for a controllable delay or cancellation (which includes mechanical):

My question is this: I'm going to be flying to the GTA in a few weeks from YHZ. YHZ-YYZ will be on Westjet, and YHM-YHZ will be on Swoop. If they had more mechanical problems that day and cancelled my flight, would I be covered for a hotel voucher? Or would I be on my own since I booked two one way tickets on two separate (though related) carriers?
You will be on your own as Swoop sees your journey starting in YHM. Also, if the WestJet flight is late and you miss the Swoop flight cutoff times for bag drop (if you have any to check), checkin (if you can’t do it online) and boarding, you won’t be able to board and will lose the flight, as Swoop is very strict compared with other airlines.

Operationally and from a terms and conditions perspective they have no relationship whatsoever.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by aerobod

You will be on your own as Swoop sees your journey starting in YHM. Also, if the WestJet flight is late and you miss the Swoop flight cutoff times for bag drop (if you have any to check), checkin (if you can’t do it online) and boarding, you won’t be able to board and will lose the flight, as Swoop is very strict compared with other airlines.

Operationally and from a terms and conditions perspective they have no relationship whatsoever.
Thanks for the info, that's what I figured. I'll have to see what my travel insurance covers if Swoop has mechanical issues in two weeks time.

I'm not worried about a delayed Westjet flight since I'm not making a connection. I'll be staying in the GTA for a few days to catch some a Jays game and a few other things.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:12 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...dale-1.5203982

Travellers slam Swoop after nearly 2 dozen delayed or cancelled flights

'It would be great if they were reliable and had some customer support, but no'

Passengers planning to take Swoop flights from airports across Canada and Florida have been left scrambling after the low-cost airline delayed or cancelled nearly two dozen trips because of maintenance issues.

The WestJet Airlines subsidiary said 11 of its flights were cancelled on July 7 and 8, including trips from Hamilton, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale.

The cancellations, which began on July 5, will continue for next two days. July 9 trips from Hamilton, Halifax and London, Ont. and July 10 trips from Hamilton, Winnipeg and Edmonton have also been grounded.

The airline blamed unscheduled maintenance on one of its aircraft.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:39 pm

An unscheduled engine swap on one aircraft is the main issue, but a lack of aircraft to rent to fill the gap is also cited:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/swoo...ions-1.4498994
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
This is when everyone who was happy to save money on a low cost carrier suddenly regretted that decision. Not a good day PR wise for Swoop.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
This is when everyone who was happy to save money on a low cost carrier suddenly regretted that decision. Not a good day PR wise for Swoop.
Like Ryanair over the years, price will always trump PR for many travelers, as long as they operate safely.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by aerobod

Like Ryanair over the years, price will always trump PR for many travelers, as long as they operate safely.
Indeed. The biggest scourge we frequent flyers face is that we’re hopelessly outnumbered by the price-conscious proletariat. And I’m not even sure safety is a big issue with most of them unless there’s been a recent disaster in the news.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Sopwith

Indeed. The biggest scourge we frequent flyers face is that we’re hopelessly outnumbered by the price-conscious proletariat. And I’m not even sure safety is a big issue with most of them unless there’s been a recent disaster in the news.
There is a simple solutions to this problem. Put in place some regulations that basically says if the airline your booked on is unable to meet its departure time by more than 2 hours, you as a customer are free to take that ticket over to any competitor and the new airline is free to invoice the problem airline directly for the current walk up fare.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
There is a simple solutions to this problem. Put in place some regulations that basically says if the airline your booked on is unable to meet its departure time by more than 2 hours, you as a customer are free to take that ticket over to any competitor and the new airline is free to invoice the problem airline directly for the current walk up fare.
You may be prepared to cover the potential cost of that in your ticket, but most low-fare customers would rather have a lower fare.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cedric
You may be prepared to cover the potential cost of that in your ticket, but most low-fare customers would rather have a lower fare.
I would disagree. I think most people buying Swoop or one of the others simply but who ever has the best scedulle or price in some weird trade off in their head. They expect the airline to live up to its end of the deal.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:13 pm

The point is that the cost of reaccommodating as you suggest would ultimately be borne by increasing fares. Folks travelling Swoop are usually doing so because they are looking for a low fare. So they wouldn't necessarily be happy in self-insuring.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Swoop in the news.....

July 20, 2019

Is flying with Canada’s low-cost airlines worth the hassle?

Global News - By Erica Alini National Online Journalist, Money/Consumer

QUOTES:

Swoop said in a statement it is completing a “full review” of the cancellations and is committed to “improving [its] process to regain the confidence of [its] travellers.”

“We have already identified the need for additional traveller support in our contact centre and acknowledge the volume of correspondence required during this event has had a significant impact to our response time,” Swoop said.

"Carolina Ayala was one of the hundreds of Swoop passengers affected by the low-cost carrier’s decision to cancel 23 flights between July 5 and July 10 due to unscheduled maintenance on one of its aircraft."

Full article https://globalnews.ca/news/5495173/c...s-swoop-flair/
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Swoop may become a distant memory soon, remember ZIP?? (Air Canada's el cheapo airline)..
Didn't think so...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
Swoop may become a distant memory soon, remember ZIP?? (Air Canada's el cheapo airline)..
Didn't think so...
The reason for Swoop existing and the reason why it is totally separate from an operations and booking system are quite different from Zips reason to exist.

Swoop for WestJet will have to exist as long as there is a ULCC market in Canada, if it is rolled into mainline it can't compete from a cost perspective, so that market will end up being handed to the remaining ULCCs. If it is just shut down, the ULCCs will just assume the demand anyway.

It is very much a defensive operation to spread the ULCC fulfilment across multiple players so that no single player can be too dominant and start eating into the bottom end of the mainline market beyond just the ULCC one. In some ways AC and Transat benefit from Swoop existing, as they don't have products that compete in the ULCC space, but if a ULCC competitor similar in size to Spirit emerged in Canada to dominate the ULCC market and expand into the whole economy traveller space, then that would certainly impact their low-end fares and affect overall profitability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.