Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No online flight schedule/timetable?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Hypothetically. It could be someone else telling me they're flying to Y and they're travelling and incommunicado for the duration. I would give flight details but a lot of people are not into that or don't think about it.

I'd also like more than a day's notice to plan a trip, or make an offer to give them a ride (we avoid going to the airport at certain times of the day.due to unpleasant traffic).

No need to make excuses for WS..
Respectfully the problem just seems to be yours. I am not apologizing for anything or anyone but there are so many avenues to get flight information but you seem to be stuck on this one method. If a lot of people are not into getting flight details
then they have to deal with it.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Troubler
As others have said, if you’re trying to plan a pick up at the airport sharing a flight number should be a no brainer. I don’t get why some people “wouldn’t be in to that”.
The infrequent flyer. That's often one (of many) things they don't think about. As a former FF, I even give flight connections up line so they can see if I'm hung up along the way.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
Respectfully the problem just seems to be yours. I am not apologizing for anything or anyone but there are so many avenues to get flight information but you seem to be stuck on this one method. If a lot of people are not into getting flight details
then they have to deal with it.
From a "from the horse's mouth" perspective, where would you get your flight information if it was more than a day out? Google, OTA? Not the most accurate or up-to-date sources.

Addendum: I am sure WS once provided this sort of information and even the current website alludes to the fact that it does, or did.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
From a "from the horse's mouth" perspective, where would you get your flight information if it was more than a day out? Google, OTA? Not the most accurate or up-to-date sources.

Addendum: I am sure WS once provided this sort of information and even the current website alludes to the fact that it does, or did.
I still don't see why anyone would look up your flight before the day they're picking you up at the airport. Presumably your request for a ride came with an indication of your arrival time instead of asking them to block the day for you. Then on the day, they use the flight status function on the home page for the most up to date information.

Also, Google uses OAG to populate the top search result for "flight schedule from XXX to YYY" so just as up to date as an airline site would be for the most part.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by croberts134
I still don't see why anyone would look up your flight before the day they're picking you up at the airport. Presumably your request for a ride came with an indication of your arrival time instead of asking them to block the day for you. Then on the day, they use the flight status function on the home page for the most up to date information.
The person driving to the airport may want to schedule a distant (time or actual distance) trip around it, or to avoid traffic. Some people would like advance notice more than just make plans the day before at the earliest to avoid schedule conflicts. One might want to schedule an appointment, pick up or drop off of parts and equipment while on the way there or back, etc.. I'm not one to drive out for a single task and a single task only, but rather, often plan to do several things on the same trip.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's the example of uselessness.

Go to this page
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...ight-schedules
You say to yourself, "Great. WS is going to show me what times the all flights between A and B are so I can figure out what time my uncle Ruslan is arriving. He can't read latin script too well, and only told me his flight is arriving in the mid-afternoon, and since it takes him 3 days to get here, and I can't get in touch with him and ask for details because his PAYG phone doesn't work outside Moldova".

So you click on
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...-flights/index
which says, " find your non-stop flights with our direct flight schedule below."
and say to yourself, "Well, that's not very useful. What part of :"schedule" do they not get? Do they not know the difference between "schedule" and "frequency"? Daily? Is that only once a day?"

So you click the next link and you get dumped on the booking page, which - unknown to you - only shows flights that are not fully booked/sold. In the hypothetical case of my flight this weekend, I would find that there is no flight shown arriving between just after 12h and just after 19h. Not very useful. If WS deigned to display flights that are full, it would be infinitely more useful. It's actually be a schedule!

Again, I would take an airline's word for it over Google.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
The person driving to the airport may want to schedule a distant (time or actual distance) trip around it, or to avoid traffic. Some people would like advance notice more than just make plans the day before at the earliest to avoid schedule conflicts. One might want to schedule an appointment, pick up or drop off of parts and equipment while on the way there or back, etc.. I'm not one to drive out for a single task and a single task only, but rather, often plan to do several things on the same trip.

“Hey Bob, my flight next Friday is scheduled to arrive at 1pm at YVR. Flight number WS###”.

”Hey Bob, what time does your flight arrive next Friday? Can you shoot me your flight number?”

Those two simple questions will take care of any and all scenarios I quoted from you. They are also much more simple than going through the steps of creating a faux booking just to find that information that should be very readily available to anyone with booked travel.

*Edit* Also, if the person is in the air and you need the info, it’s same day at that point and you wouldn’t be able to pull up this info through a faux booking either. You can’t book a flight that’s already in the air. Simply going to the destination airports arrivals page should get you the info you need very quickly.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:29 pm

maybe this will satisfy your requirements.

https://www.passrider.com/reservations/advanced-search/
YYCguy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
maybe this will satisfy your requirements.

https://www.passrider.com/reservations/advanced-search/
Again, fine, if you can find it Most airlines can offer a custom-generated weekly schedule of direct and even connecting flights, which shouldn't be too difficult for a half-compentent IT department come up with. Alternative as I've previously stated is, at least show fully sold flights. Not too difficult to put "not available" in place of a "from" fare.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troubler

“Hey Bob, my flight next Friday is scheduled to arrive at 1pm at YVR. Flight number WS###”.

”Hey Bob, what time does your flight arrive next Friday? Can you shoot me your flight number?”

Those two simple questions will take care of any and all scenarios I quoted from you. They are also much more simple than going through the steps of creating a faux booking just to find that information that should be very readily available to anyone with booked travel.

*Edit* Also, if the person is in the air and you need the info, it’s same day at that point and you wouldn’t be able to pull up this info through a faux booking either. You can’t book a flight that’s already in the air. Simply going to the destination airports arrivals page should get you the info you need very quickly.
You would, I would, most here would but I've run into more than a few people who don't think to offer flight information and/or don't respond to further info requests for more information. Seriously.

And what you propose is not helpful if I want to know more than a day ahead of time.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I've run into more than a few people who don't think to offer flight information. Seriously.

And what you propose is not helpful if I want to know more than a day ahead of time.
If they don’t offer that information, then ask! Lol!
Ace Cdn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.