Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Swoop schedule

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Strange Swoop schedule

So I'm planning a trip to the GTA sometime in the spring and was checking if Swoop is a viable option for me from YHZ. I noticed that while all of the YHM-YHZ departures are at 6:30 arriving at 9:30 local time, on most days the return flight leaves at 16:15. I was looking at mid-May.

Does Swoop really leave a 737 on the ground in the middle of the day in YHZ for nearly 7 hours? That sounds terribly inefficient. Or maybe there is a schedule change that has only partially made it through the system.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:55 am

The plane likely goes elsewhere and comes back.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
The plane likely goes elsewhere and comes back.
Can't imagine where. Swoop only flies to YHM from YHZ and that is only once a day. Unless they are borrowing the bird for mainline, and I don't think that they do that.

edit: Here's some unlikely speculation. Maybe they do a thorough cleaning in YHZ. According to wikipedia they'll have 10 birds by spring 2019. 5 days out of every 7 they have a 6:45 stop in YHZ. Assuming a thorough cleaning takes 5+ hours they could clean every cabin every two weeks in YHZ if they rotated the fleet appropriately.

Last edited by smallmj; Jan 20, 2019 at 8:16 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:50 am

The aircraft is very unlikely to sit on the ground or receive any maintenance during the day. Swoop will soon publish the rest of the summer schedule, expect to see a flight from YHZ to somewhere else added. Bear in mind the same aircraft operating the inbound YHM-YHZ flight won’t necessarily be operating the return. In general the most efficient flying in North America starts with as many aircraft in the east early in the day and more in the west at the end of the day with red-eye flights used for repositioning, compared with the same aircraft being shuttled on the same route.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks Aerobod. The current route map would certainly suggest YHM-YHZ-YHM turns, but if they add YYT (or YHU?) then they could do more interesting triangle routings and the schedule would suddenly make a lot more sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.