Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by james dean
No problem charging USD, but how about doing to conversion to CAD ie/ $30CAD = $22.50USD..
That's the whole point of this thread; WS used to charge the conversion as you indicated until recently but now charge CAD$30 on the outbound and USD$30 on the inbound.
sokolov likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by tcook052
That's the whole point of this thread; WS used to charge the conversion as you indicated until recently but now charge CAD$30 on the outbound and USD$30 on the inbound.
OK, the circular argument has just come full circle...Lol~
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
....(psst...) ... because they make 33% more money...shhh....don't tell people. It's a secret.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Again, why isn't WJ offering the option at Canadian airport checkin to prepay return segment luggage fee in CAD?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Again, why isn't WJ offering the option at Canadian airport checkin to prepay return segment luggage fee in CAD?
Would you pay the CAD cost of $30 US? Then they could do that as an option. But I bet you want to pay $30 CAD for something they sell for $30 US. It's not a question of when you pay , it's how much they want, which is $30 US.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Keep the thread going and maybe just maybe someone from HQ will change their policy....
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
Keep the thread going and maybe just maybe someone from HQ will change their policy....
With American now charging USD$30 to and from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, United charging USD$30 from the US to Canada and to and from Mexico and Caribbean and CAD$30 from Canada to the US, WestJet it totally aligned with United charges, but they could align with American by upping the Canada to US 1st bag charge from CAD$30 to CAD$40 or about USD$30
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:06 pm

Yes, being a leader is just copying what everyone else is doing. Right. So WJ is just a follower. If I prepay in advance I would expect a discount for giving you my money before service is delivered. Prepay a hotel room for $150 in advance vs. $185 at check out. I would expect to pay $30 CAD for the return luggage fee. It is a pretty sneaky way to game the conversion differential to fatten their bottom line. This is a Canadian company. Oh not to mention we get another 2.5% surcharge added on top of that when the credit card converts it. A true double whammy.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Feb 16, 2019 at 7:14 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:16 pm

Checked baggage is a commodity service, no need to discount, no need to differentiate, same as the competition is just fine.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:32 pm

Yes, being a leader is just copying what everyone else is doing. Right. So WJ is just a follower. If I prepay in advance I would expect a discount for giving you my money before service is delivered. Prepay a hotel room for $150 in advance vs. $185 at check out. I would expect to pay $30 CAD for the return luggage fee. It is a pretty sneaky way to game the conversion differential to fatten their bottom line. This is a Canadian company. Oh not to mention we get another 2.5% surcharge added on top of that when the credit card converts it. A true double whammy.
Maybe WS will allow you to prepay $30 US in advance if that helps you. Aerobod was clear enough for everyone (except you) that WS is charging what other airlines charge ex-US but you seem determined that you should set rules like discounts for luggage you are going to check anyway (thus you having literally no choice) or WS operating like the Scott Mission and offering charity prices vs. market prices.

You could switch to AC or US or AA and at least know before switching and they all already charge US and they won't care what you think, or you could buy a fare with luggage included and laugh in the face of such piracy, or do what some people in the UK do with Ryanair and sew 100 pockets in an overcoat and wear all your clothes in the overcoat and pay zero. Fly AC (Canadian company) and pay $30 US and then $50 US for economy bags, ex-US.

Lobbying here will accomplish nothing. Switching will accomplish paying the same to another airline out of spite and probably a higher fare, which seems ludicrous.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
(Sigh!) It's a little tragic to see what is happening to the WestJet corporate mind set these days. For quite a few years I looked upon WS as something apart from the others. They smile. They seem go the extra mile to make customers feel just a little bit more than just another bum in the seat. There was an ever so slightly more personal touch. For this reason I often tended to choose WS over AC when it fit my travel plans satisfactorily.

Now it's 2019, and what I'm seeing from WS is it's okay to be just as bad as the rest. So my reason for choosing WS over AC is no longer there.

I'm disappointed.
tcook052, Sunny Day and Error 601 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
You could switch to AC or US or AA and at least know before switching and they all already charge US
See post #61 above. AA practice seems to be to charge differently in US and Canada.
Sunny Day likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:27 pm

Rick, you seem to love to give all your money to WJ because you like to fatten their bottom line. WJ needs people like you. Why bother coming on here to spew the corporate cool-aid as an apologist? This is a forum for people to minimize spending and maximize benefit, not the other way around. A mere 3 years ago, we never had as many bad PR stories about WJ as we have today. Their image and reputation isn't as good as it used to be. So keeping copying the worst practices of other airlines. When people are saying WJ is just as bad as the other airlines, you've lost your ways.

Btw, WJ Vacation is charging sun bound package passengers an extra $30 luggage fee each way. It is utterly ridiculous when people already paid $3000 for an all inclusive vacation and being dinged another $60 for luggage?

Last edited by Sunny Day; Feb 17, 2019 at 4:36 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:50 pm
5mm
Suspended

Rick, you seem to love to give all your money to WJ because you like to fatten their bottom line. WJ needs people like you. Why bother coming on here to spew the corporate cool-aid as an apologist? This is a forum for people to minimize spending and maximize benefit, not the other way around. A mere 3 years ago, we never had as many bad PR stories about WJ as we have today. Their image and reputation isn't as good as it used to be. So keeping copying the worst practices of other airlines. When people are saying WJ is just as bad as the other airlines, you've lost your ways.

Btw, WJ Vacation is charging sun bound package passengers an extra $30 luggage fee each way. It is utterly ridiculous when people already paid $3000 for an all inclusive vacation and being dinged another $60 for luggage?
Why is it utterly ridiculous? WS is not getting all of the $3K? If you don't want to pay the $30's US, take carry on. It part of today's world. Cheap airfares don't allow airlines to give services away. You can always buy the higher fare ticket that gives you a free bag. You must go crazy on hotel resort charges, if this small baggage fee change is effecting you this much.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I agree, Westjet is not the WestJet of old. Bought Air Canada for Easter trip after Flair cancelled their evening flight YYZ-YEG. All of Westjet’s cheap fares don’t seem to count for Delta anymore....adios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.